Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

No updates to either the PVB or Multi-Site license on the FL portal since May 29th!

And with it being the 18th and nothing new done, i can’t see how they will be ready to start sales before mid July at the earliest.

I mean, anything is possible, but those are waayyyy too low in the building to be considered penthouses, and the concept art of the living area is basically an exact match for the recessed areas on the top two floors.
Yeah a penthouse by definition has to be the top floor I would think. Not that Disney/DVC wouldnt try to invent a new definition to suit their purpose 😂

And with it being the 18th and nothing new done, i can’t see how they will be ready to start sales before mid July at the earliest.
I assume that sales will start roughly when the 'Membership Weeks' promos start on July 22nd.

The main purpose of those types of promotions is to give guides more concrete blue-card perks to point to in order to drive direct sales. Why not spin one up just as you're launching a new product for sale?

I assume that sales will start roughly when the 'Membership Weeks' promos start on July 22nd.

The main purpose of those types of promotions is to give guides more concrete blue-card perks to point to in order to drive direct sales. Why not spin one up just as you're launching a new product for sale?
I completely agree that doing this with the start of sales makes a ton of sense but it’s just interesting that they’ve never really done anything like this before, not even for CFW, unquestionably their most difficult sell, but they’re going to set it up along side the sale of their biggest/easiest product since PVB originally went on sale. These kind of tactics seem best suited for quieter seasons…or expensive products. Idk now I’m feeling like even if they start this at $239, incentives are going to be very little, if any, to start.

Is there a consensus view on how accessible the poly tower rooms are likely to be at 7 months for us grunts that do not own Poly contracts? I recognize it's hard to speculate without a point chart, but I would welcome your reaction to some theories given these scenarios:

1 - Point charts are somewhat higher than average studio/villas at current PVB, VGF and BLT - my theory is more availability for non-PVB owners despite new resort expansion excitement, until new PVB contract owners with their bigger point contracts start buying direct and booking reservations accordingly and/or new resort expansion excitement subsides.

2 - Point charts are the same as the average studio/villas PVB, VGF and BLT - my theory is less availability for non-owners because we will all be chasing the same new rooms with our existing points, until new resort expansion excitement subsides.

I don't think a scenario exists where the new point chart is lower than average studio/villas PVB/VGV/BLT - seems to me that would not help stimulate new direct PVB sales. I also guess it would create a reservation feeding frenzy for the rest of us non-PVB owners, but I also guess DVD doesn't care about that.

I wonder if there is a realistic scenario where the point chart is much higher than the average studio/villas for PVB, VGF and BLT....

I completely agree that doing this with the start of sales makes a ton of sense but it’s just interesting that they’ve never really done anything like this before, not even for CFW, unquestionably their most difficult sell, but they’re going to set it up along side the sale of their biggest/easiest product since PVB originally went on sale. These kind of tactics seem best suited for quieter seasons…or expensive products. Idk now I’m feeling like even if they start this at $239, incentives are going to be very little, if any, to start.
It’s very possible they start with $0 in incentives for POLYT

Is there a consensus view on how accessible the poly tower rooms are likely to be at 7 months for us grunts that do not own Poly contracts?
Until it is fully declared, and really for the first several years, I think it'll all be very tough. After that, I'd expect reasonably normal booking patterns to prevail.

- Standard and maybe Preferred views will usually be gone, with Theme Park View rooms most likely to be left
- Cheap Duo Studios will be totally unavailable at 7 months, especially in lower view categories
- If most of the 2BRs are lock-offs instead of dedicated, those will likely be gone
- 1BRs will be the last to go (unless they price the 2BR Penthouses to match Bungalows, in which case... yikes!)

For studios in particular, there's a lot of debate, but I'm on the side that believes that after a few years, the tower won't necessarily book up far faster than the Longhouses. Indications are that they will match Longhouse point charts, except that most of them will be Preferred (comparable to Longhouse Lake View) or Theme Park (likely the most expensive studios on property). And, they will be significantly smaller rooms, without the second shower space.

While some folks will always prefer the Tower for its views and its layout, I think 5 years from now most owners will try to book the cheaper and larger Longhouses first, paying extra for Tower P/TP rooms only as a last resort. If I'm right, it may not be too hard to find a TP Tower Studio at the 7-month mark, though you may not find many Standard Longhouse Studios at 7-months anymore!

Is there a consensus view on how accessible the poly tower rooms are likely to be at 7 months for us grunts that do not own Poly contracts? I recognize it's hard to speculate without a point chart, but I would welcome your reaction to some theories given these scenarios:

1 - Point charts are somewhat higher than average studio/villas at current PVB, VGF and BLT - my theory is more availability for non-PVB owners despite new resort expansion excitement, until new PVB contract owners with their bigger point contracts start buying direct and booking reservations accordingly and/or new resort expansion excitement subsides.

2 - Point charts are the same as the average studio/villas PVB, VGF and BLT - my theory is less availability for non-owners because we will all be chasing the same new rooms with our existing points, until new resort expansion excitement subsides.

I don't think a scenario exists where the new point chart is lower than average studio/villas PVB/VGV/BLT - seems to me that would not help stimulate new direct PVB sales. I also guess it would create a reservation feeding frenzy for the rest of us non-PVB owners, but I also guess DVD doesn't care about that.

I wonder if there is a realistic scenario where the point chart is much higher than the average studio/villas for PVB, VGF and BLT....
We don’t know for sure what the room break out is, but assuming it’s similar to the DVCNews projections, I think getting A studio at poly will always be easy except in fall frenzy and on race weekends.

But it’s really, really hard for me to guess whether people will prefer the tower or the longhouses, and therefore which will be more available.

We don’t know for sure what the room break out is, but assuming it’s similar to the DVCNews projections, I think getting A studio at poly will always be easy except in fall frenzy and on race weekends.

But it’s really, really hard for me to guess whether people will prefer the tower or the longhouses, and therefore which will be more available.
Yeah.. there are a lot of pros to staying in the longhouses compared to staying in the tower like being closer to TTC, larger square footage, extra bathroom, likely equal or better point chart but on the other hand the tower's updated furnishings and novelty in the beginning will likely draw people to Poly tower for a long time.

Yeah a penthouse by definition has to be the top floor I would think. Not that Disney/DVC wouldnt try to invent a new definition to suit their purpose 😂
Traditionally penthouse suites were on the top floor, but they often aren’t anymore. It’s very common to see them on lower floors now. For luxury hotels the penthouse suites are rarely even the nicest suites in the hotel (especially for larger hotels).

🤷🏼‍♀️ they’re knee deep in the DAS debacle, and although it’s technically not DVC, the pitch forks are flying in ALL directions. As of yesterday I saw the disgruntled DAS users that have been denied AND are licensed physicians are banding together to come at the mouse, but the DAS users that have been denied AND are attorneys seem to suggest they won’t get far … it’s a whole show. Hence the free stuff 🍿🥤 … maybe?

🤷🏼‍♀️ they’re knee deep in the DAS debacle, and although it’s technically not DVC, the pitch forks are flying in ALL directions. As of yesterday I saw the disgruntled DAS users that have been denied AND are licensed physicians are banding together to come at the mouse, but the DAS users that have been denied AND are attorneys seem to suggest they won’t get far … it’s a whole show. Hence the free stuff 🍿🥤 … maybe?
I don’t imagine DAS is on DVC’s radar. Very different departments.

I don’t imagine DAS is on DVC’s radar. Very different departments.
A lot of angry ex-DAS users are threatening to dump DVC contracts — haven’t really seen evidence of it on the aggregator sites yet. Resale is not really Disney’s problem unless/until it’s in such large numbers that it makes it hard to sell direct.
I am a (presumed) ex-DAS litigator and I have yet to see a single coherent argument for why anybody is legally entitled to DAS, particularly with Disney now making alternative (but less advantageous) accommodations available to anyone who can’t wait in line. There’s a lot of emotion and wishful thinking, but nothing grounded in actual 11th circuit (directly on point) cases.

A lot of angry ex-DAS users are threatening to dump DVC contracts — haven’t really seen evidence of it on the aggregator sites yet. Resale is not really Disney’s problem unless/until it’s in such large numbers that it makes it hard to sell direct.

I am a (presumed) ex-DAS litigator and I have yet to see a single coherent argument for why anybody is legally entitled to DAS, particularly with Disney now making alternative (but less advantageous) accommodations available to anyone who can’t wait in line. There’s a lot of emotion and wishful thinking, but nothing grounded in actual 11th circuit (directly on point) cases.
Every single attorney that I have seen online has said exactly the same thing as you. The sentiment [and I can’t say I don’t disagree] is more along the lines of: We all enjoy DVC perks that we know we are not entitled to, just like the DAS users enjoyed a perk they were not entitled to. We give it its lip service “buy where you want to stay, you aren’t guaranteed the 7 month trade.” …. But have you thought about if you would still want your DVC if we woke up tomorrow and you were restricted to only your home resort? … some of the DAS former users are on a campaign to “make noise” (their words not mine) that it can happen to DVC too because the perks are promises. Are they hurt, angry, and looking for revenge, probably … yes. I don’t believe they have legal standing, as it has been explained. But I don’t think they are going to go away quietly either, so they’ll probably try and cause as big of a headache as they can organize.

I don't think they can accurately compare DAS to direct DVC benefits anyway. DAS was/is a free program that gives benefits out on a subjective "Need" basis. Direct DVC benefits are attached to more expensive direct DVC contracts and are definitely not free or subjectively given. If you buy DVC direct over the minimum points, you get benefits.

It's hard to compare a free program (where a lot of the people who are denied don't want to pay any more for genie+ now) vs a high cost program that has already been paid for, and is still being paid extra for every year with dues

Every single attorney that I have seen online has said exactly the same thing as you. The sentiment [and I can’t say I don’t disagree] is more along the lines of: We all enjoy DVC perks that we know we are not entitled to, just like the DAS users enjoyed a perk they were not entitled to. We give it its lip service “buy where you want to stay, you aren’t guaranteed the 7 month trade.” …. But have you thought about if you would still want your DVC if we woke up tomorrow and you were restricted to only your home resort? … some of the DAS former users are on a campaign to “make noise” (their words not mine) that it can happen to DVC too because the perks are promises. Are they hurt, angry, and looking for revenge, probably … yes. I don’t believe they have legal standing, as it has been explained. But I don’t think they are going to go away quietly either, so they’ll probably try and cause as big of a headache as they can organize.
Are the lighting lane lines that people paid money for shorter and are the standby lines more efficient? Then I’m cool…..

I don't think they can accurately compare DAS to direct DVC benefits anyway. DAS was/is a free program that gives benefits out on a subjective "Need" basis. Direct DVC benefits are attached to more expensive direct DVC contracts and are definitely not free or subjectively given. If you buy DVC direct over the minimum points, you get benefits.

It's hard to compare a free program (where a lot of the people who are denied don't want to pay any more for genie+ now) vs a high cost program that has already been paid for, and is still being paid extra for every year with dues
Unfortunately, when people reach the “plotting revenge” stage, they’re not usually open to a logical evaluation of the situation.

I agree with you that they are not comfortable at all— both practically and legally, however, if you look at the DVC marketing materials and contracts, Disney is pretty clear that they revoke a lot of perks and modify many aspects of the program. This is not legal advice (I am not your lawyer) but I highly recommend reading the fine print before forking over five or six figure sums. Having said that, if Disney tried to change major aspects of the program that are aggressively marketed or specified in the contract, then yes, I’ll be banding together with my DVC brethren seeking justice.

Wouldn't the raw numbers make it most likely that the longhouse studios will have more availability? Like 3x as many vs the tower based on current projections.

Wouldn't the raw numbers make it most likely that the longhouse studios will have more availability? Like 3x as many vs the tower based on current projections.
Probably but there are a lot of point misers (such as myself) in the DVC system…so if the tower rooms are all more expensive, the standard and preferred longhouse studios may go long before the 1.5-2x as expensive theme park studios. Also with the longhouses sleeping 5, they will be more popular with us cheapos who travel with 5 people.

facebook twitter