Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

This is academic as I don’t own Poly, but let’s say I sell for $200, get $184, rebuy resale in 6 months for $135 (April’s average on Fidelity)+$12/pt in closing costs, I still made $37/point.

I think that’s actually very realistic?

It’s not my money! You should all make decisions based on your own research and comfort level.
$135 in 6 months for points with 11 month access to the brand new tower (and the rest of Poly), 7 month access to everything else (except RIV, VDH and CFW), and with no RIV-style resale restrictions? Sounds like an amazingly good deal, and I have my doubts that you will be able to get them that cheaply.

I doubt It will drop that low for resale. Polynesian will be a much more balanced resort now and won't be restricted.

$135 in 6 months for points with 11 month access to the brand new tower (and the rest of Poly), 7 month access to everything else (except RIV, VDH and CFW), and with no RIV-style resale restrictions? Sounds like an amazingly good deal, and I have my doubts that you will be able to get them that cheaply.
I will bet you both 5 imaginary internet dollars that we see Poly sales at April 2024 prices ($135/pt) again by the end of the year. After all, that was just *last month*.

I am always willing to bet my imaginary internet dollars
1716320267285.jpeg

We are considering selling our 50 point contract if we can buy before our October trip. We'd like to replace the new points and sell our contract loaded.

We are considering selling our 50 point contract if we can buy before our October trip. We'd like to replace the new points and sell our contract loaded.
Not sure why you would want to sell and buy back right away?

I keep toying with the idea of selling soon for $185-190 per point with a delayed closing date, and hoping that with incentives I could then get direct Poly for roughly $185-$190. Essentially turning my $140 resale points into direct points via a $5k upgrade fee (broker fee and closing costs).
I would NOT recommend a delayed close. If the price declines much, people will just lose the deposit and walk away. Especially if direct comes close to the $185 vicinity, nobody will want to close on a resale contract at $185.

This is academic as I don’t own Poly, but let’s say I sell for $200, get $184, rebuy resale in 6 months for $135 (April’s average on Fidelity)+$12/pt in closing costs, I still made $37/point.

I think that’s actually very realistic?

It’s not my money! You should all make decisions based on your own research and comfort level.
I think Poly theoretically could return below $150 by the end of this year, but given how aggressively they are pumping it now, I would not bet they abandon the ROFR sniping entirely before 2025, and that could keep it above $150. If they want to sell PVB direct at $200 for more than one incentive cycle, they’ve gotta keep resale with $50 of that price. They had trouble moving VGF until it was within $25 of a (non-loaded!) resale contract, after MB… some (not moi) think that Poly Tower will be more desirable than BPK, but I still think more than $50 between direct and resale will hamper sales.

So I will take your shiny Internet dollar bet and raise you to $10 shiny internet dollars. 🦀
I don’t think you will get Polynesian direct quite that cheap.
Probably not for the next 6-9 months, absent economic disaster.

Historically Disney never, ever ROFR’d resorts in active sales, which makes sense, why buy the thing that will take you the longest to sell?

Now Disney is buying back almost exclusively contracts in active sales, or at least with active promotions. Just a total 180 from previous practice.

It’s hard for me to believe they’re doing it to set a price floor because they’ve never done anything to make me think that they cared about resale prices; in fact, the 2 biggest price drops in the past 20 years (2009 and Covid) have both been egged on by a suspension of ROFR that lasted for months and months.

So why then? Is there some technical reason? Why did they buy VGF and Poly but have watched as Riviera resale fell from $160s to $110s?

This post became more rambling than I initially intended but I’m going to leave it as I have a lot of questions and few answers.

But I am still pretty confident that they’re not buying back contracts to set a price floor.

Historically Disney never, ever ROFR’d resorts in active sales, which makes sense, why buy the thing that will take you the longest to sell?

Now Disney is buying back almost exclusively contracts in active sales, or at least with active promotions. Just a total 180 from previous practice.

It’s hard for me to believe they’re doing it to set a price floor because they’ve never done anything to make me think that they cared about resale prices; in fact, the 2 biggest price drops in the past 20 years (2009 and Covid) have both been egged on by a suspension of ROFR that lasted for months and months.

So why then? Is there some technical reason? Why did they buy VGF and Poly but have watched as Riviera resale fell from $160s to $110s?

This post became more rambling than I initially intended but I’m going to leave it as I have a lot of questions and few answers.

But I am still pretty confident that they’re not buying back contracts to set a price floor.
The one thing that 2009 and 2023 have in common is that capital became more scarce/precious/expensive and having a strong balance sheet was at a premium. Not sure what park attendance was like in ‘09-10 because I was grinding away at my desk like a yuppie millennial. I did make it to WDW a couple times from ‘05-08 and my recollection was that extra magic hours (before and after) were more plentiful and parks were less crowded, even though it would have been in the midst of an economic boom.

When the delta between resale and direct is much tighter I think it makes people stretch to get non-restricted direct points if they were going to naturally go resale. ROFR has seemingly driven up the prices in the short-term (agree with others that it will fall again) but it certainly has some impact. I would certainly love to buy direct but much harder to justify if resale is so much less - even if restricted in this case.

But what actually pushed that number up? DVD excercisj g ROfR which didn’t start until months later.

So, I’d say their lack of transparency…remember it took many of us weeks to even get DVC to confirm that the message was shared at the meeting..was enough to hold off on a big purchase if one wanted to be sure it wasn’t going to be different.

For whatever reason, it took until the Disney files Spring came out and blog post by Disney in May for them to publically confirm it to all.

Obviously DVD has their reasons for how they are doing this, but I still think they wanted ambiguity into the market and began its influence when they were ready to commit to it.
I personally think - and I could be very, very wrong - that they were waiting to see how VDH sales did before they fully committed one way or the other.

I personally think - and I could be very, very wrong - that they were waiting to see how VDH sales did before they fully committed one way or the other.

That could be true…and that was why I think that, while the announcement in December was what it was, DVd certainly made moves, or lack there of, that left doubt.

If I had been looking at PVB and wanted the tower, I’d have not been comfortable chancing it…until more moves supported it. When RoFR started. That was certainly a big sign…and given all they have taken at this point, I’d say it supports they need that price to now get higher so the $200 plus that DVD will start sales at wont be that much more than resale.

Just checked Poly pricing on the aggregator site - six contracts at $200 plus. One at $220. Are they hoping people see the “direct price” listed on the site and feel like it is a deal? Who is paying $200+ for restricted points when direct will be not much more in a few months? And even less for the size of some of these contracts.

Just checked Poly pricing on the aggregator site - six contracts at $200 plus. One at $220. Are they hoping people see the “direct price” listed on the site and feel like it is a deal? Who is paying $200+ for restricted points when direct will be not much more in a few months? And even less for the size of some of these contracts.
You are not alone. I’m not certain they will be less (maybe after magical beginnings) but it seems completely insane to pay $200 resale if you believe you can get direct somewhere between $190-220 in the next year. I’m assuming none of the $200 point contracts are loaded, but that would make it slightly more palatable (though still wild).

People are cashing in on impatience and frankly people who don’t know the actual market value of PVB. I’m very much getting the same vibes I got when there was a rush on VGC contracts after VDH transient tax news broke. I remember there were like 2 resale VGC contracts left up for sale at that time and now we’re back to 40 currently.

People are cashing in on impatience and frankly people who don’t know the actual market value of PVB. I’m very much getting the same vibes I got when there was a rush on VGC contracts after VDH transient tax news broke. I remember there were like 2 resale VGC contracts left up for sale at that time and now we’re back to 40 currently.
We sold our PVB contract in four days after listing. We didn’t price as high as many of the current contracts for sale, but we were towards the top of our suggested listing prices by reasonable brokers. We just wanted to clear the commission hurdle so we could buy more points in total or buy direct and resale. And we were not in a place where we had to sell. We provided our full 2025 points. I wonder how much of this recent pricing is being fueled by the sellers and how much is due to the brokers trying to sell the resale market a tall tale on the value of the PVB resale to get into the new tower? One DISer reported they wanted to put in an offer on a PVB resale and the broker lectured them on how the market has totally changed and prices are now $180-$200pp.

We only own resale and are considering direct. If price parody it close, we would consider selling our 25 and 50 point contracts to buy 200 direct instead of the 150 we initially expected to buy.
Seems like an easy upgrade to me, probably can sell in 190s-200s given how small those contracts are. Might as well bump up to the 200 point incentive and just buy it as 150/50 and get pretty darn close to breaking even with no restrictions on all your points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter