Is this a 50% Borrowing Loophole?

CaliAdventurer

DIS Veteran
If I had 200 points and I’ve already borrowed 100, can I transfer the remaining unborrowed 100 to another member?

You could, but my understanding is transferred points can be banked, but not borrowed. So they would only be able to use them in the normal use year or the next year.

I would not call it a loophole because it would be following the normal rules for transfers. Since you can only transfer once in or out of your UY, it doesn’t help someone have more points than they may need for a particular trip,

However, getting a transfer from another member can certainly give you more points to use for a trip while this restriction is in place when you get a transfer.

But, this certainly could Make them more in demand.

That is interesting.

Since I'm planning on banking my points, I'll trade you my not-yet banked points for your future can not be borrowed points. Perfectly within the rules, but certainly an alternative for those that need some more points now. Essentially no different than renting points either, just goes both ways and complicated by the once a year transfer rules.

But let's say you needed 50 points in 2020 UY. I can transfer 50 2020 UY points to you and receive 50 2021 UY points from you in return. I think that's possible since it's different UY. That actually works in the 2020 owner's favor as well since those 2021 points can then further be banked into 2022.

That is interesting.

Since I'm planning on banking my points, I'll trade you my not-yet banked points for your future can not be borrowed points. Perfectly within the rules, but certainly an alternative for those that need some more points now. Essentially no different than renting points either, just goes both ways and complicated by the once a year transfer rules.

But let's say you needed 50 points in 2020 UY. I can transfer 50 2020 UY points to you and receive 50 2021 UY points from you in return. I think that's possible since it's different UY. That actually works in the 2020 owner's favor as well since those 2021 points can then further be banked into 2022.

Yes, it can certainly work this way and is an option for people who may be able to find someone who wants to do the transfers like this...as long as each gets points for the trips they want, it’s a good solution...one that has always been possible!

Still need to get an owner willing to trust the other owner transferring second because after the first one is done, nothing could be done.

Yes, it can certainly work this way and is an option for people who may be able to find someone who wants to do the transfers like this...as long as each gets points for the trips they want, it’s a good solution...one that has always been possible!

Still need to get an owner willing to trust the other owner transferring second because after the first one is done, nothing could be done.

One could escrow it, but it could get quite complex depending on the comfort level of each party. You could even say payment to be received for - just like a rental agreement and treat it like 2 cash transactions. In that worst case you end up with money instead of points. Kind of depends on how much risk each person wants to take on.

We actually just did something like this with a friend of ours. They had 2019 points that were banked and would have expired and with the 50% rule we couldn't borrow enough to take the trip we wanted, so they booked the trip for us and we transferred the points. Of course we are basically family, so trust is not an issue in our case, but I am sure there are ways to handle that.

If I had 200 points and I’ve already borrowed 100, can I transfer the remaining unborrowed 100 to another member?

In what way were you thinking that would be a loophole? The borrowing restriction is to prevent more points being brought into a time that already was expected to have an over abundance. In transferring the points still will be in the same spot as if you had kept them.

In what way were you thinking that would be a loophole? The borrowing restriction is to prevent more points being brought into a time that already was expected to have an over abundance. In transferring the points still will be in the same spot as if you had kept them.
My thinking was as above- If I "trade" I can use points now rather than later. In the system, I get that the results are null but to me, it means more trips : )

My thinking was as above- If I "trade" I can use points now rather than later. In the system, I get that the results are null but to me, it means more trips : )

Got it. That would potentially leave more points current and used instead of being banked and out of the year but probably not too many that it affects what they are hoping to accomplish. ie - a teeny tiny loophole. ;)

I'm really not sure why this rule still exists. Isn't DVC just creating a future point problem since so many
DVC rooms are sitting open right now? Has anyone had any luck with getting exceptions if they're traveling soon?

I'm really not sure why this rule still exists. Isn't DVC just creating a future point problem since so many
DVC rooms are sitting open right now? Has anyone had any luck with getting exceptions if they're traveling soon?

No exceptions have been reported. Personally, I think they should stop allowing borrowed points to go back especially if they are keeping this in place.

Expressed that to them.

No exceptions have been reported. Personally, I think they should stop allowing borrowed points to go back especially if they are keeping this in place.

Expressed that to them.
I think borrowed points should go back only if Disney has to cancel the reservation. For example, we were booked at the Grand Californian for this month and they canceled our reservation since it obviously wont be open, so I would expect those borrowed points to go back to their original use year as we had no control over that; however, we now have a vacation booked at the end of next month at Disney world and if we choose to cancel that vacation, I would not expect the borrowed points to be returned to their original use year.

I agree, I still say they should allow higher levels of borrowing if within say 30 days of check-in and make it clear that those points will go into holding if the reservation is canceled and they will not be returned to the original use year.

I think they could go back to 100% borrowing and then reimplement if they felt it was necessary. Kinda missed the boat on this though as it would likely have been more helpful to not have restricted early and have had it on the back burner if suddenly availability was getting crunched.

I think borrowed points should go back only if Disney has to cancel the reservation. For example, we were booked at the Grand Californian for this month and they canceled our reservation since it obviously wont be open, so I would expect those borrowed points to go back to their original use year as we had no control over that; however, we now have a vacation booked at the end of next month at Disney world and if we choose to cancel that vacation, I would not expect the borrowed points to be returned to their original use year.

I should say that I agree for those trips booked via VGC. And, I will add that when I shared my thoughts regarding the policies, I mentioned that VGC should be treated differently.

As always, not every decision DVCM makes will please everyone so I just try to share my thoughts as an owner and believe since they have more info, the decisions work both short and long term.

I think borrowed points should go back only if Disney has to cancel the reservation.

I believe it encourages point usage by allowing borrowed points to be returned if the person cancels and that too will be important to burn as many points as people are willing to use right now. Plus it's something that is humane for DVC to do by not adding a pressure to go if people still don't feel comfortable at the time the reservation rolls around. I think they're absolutely doing the right thing with this exception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter