Is there an app to block all calls not from your contacts?

frostedpink

Mouseketeer
Child has an iPhone and keeps getting calls for the previous owner of the phone number.

I tried the DND feature but I don’t like how it silences ALL alerts when phone is locked, even from people in his contact list.

I’m looking for an app that will block all calls from ringing except for his contacts. Any suggestions?

Child has an iPhone and keeps getting calls for the previous owner of the phone number.

I tried the DND feature but I don’t like how it silences ALL alerts when phone is locked, even from people in his contact list.

I’m looking for an app that will block all calls from ringing except for his contacts. Any suggestions?

In the Do Not Disturb settings there is an option to allow calls from all contacts.

What if you ask to change the number?
I could. The phone gets at least 2-3 calls almost daily from numbers all over the country.

I guess I’m afraid that the next number might end up being the same issue. I wish you could specifically get a number that has been out of service for a year or more. I think they only use 30 days as the rule

Yes, but it silences all text and calls, even from contacts, when phone is in lock mode.
No, if you set up groups (I did it through an app but you can do it in iCloud) and select that group it will ring through even if the phone is locked. I do it all the time.

You can also go in and set up certain contacts that are always allowed through no matter what. It’s more complicated and you have to set up phone and messages separately.
https://www.imore.com/how-receive-messages-specific-contacts-do-not-disturb-mode
Honestly, neither is a great solution because eventually he’s going to need to accept calls from people who aren’t in these parameters. My younger DD had this issue, it was more than just a few phone calls, she was barraged by them. I ended up changing her number. She still gets them on occasion like we all do but nothing like it was before. It was worth the $35 to do it.

I could. The phone gets at least 2-3 calls almost daily from numbers all over the country.

:badpc:

You could get a Tracfone. It's one of the prepaid phones. Get one at Walmart or Rite Aid for $10. It includes 90 days of service. I've had several of them over the years and many different numbers before the last two, which I have kept the same for many years now.

For some reason, even during the time I was switching numbers, I didn't get a lot of callers calling for the last person. Maybe it has to do with people who bought prepaid phones didn't give out their numbers much knowing it was temporary? :confused3

Anyway, you can test out the phone number it gives you. Just keep the phone charged and in a corner. You don't have to use it. Check it every so often to see if there've been calls or messages left. If no one calls for several weeks or the whole 90 days, before the service expires & turns off, have your child's phone company PORT the phone number over to his phone. It should be a free service to do that. I think that's the law now. Phone companies used to hold us hostage with our phone number. And the government changed that and allowed porting & keeping any active number we have, and take it to a different service.

In the meantime, f you have trouble with that Tracfone number, you can call customer service and have it changed to a new one for free. Since you aren't using it (yet) anyway, it won't matter how many times you change it till you find a good, quiet number to keep & port. :)

Also if you know they are calling for the previous owner are you blocking them as they come in?

^^ I agree or don't answer calls unless from your local area code. I assume as a child, he/she wouldn't regularly have friends calling from out of state. Each phone may be different, but on mine, the NAME of the person in my contact list shows up when they call. If only a phone # shows up, then I know it isn't anyone on my contact list.

My son's phone does that too. I just made sure all the people who MIGHT call him were listed by name as contacts and told him to immediately swipe "dismiss" when anyone called him and a name didn't show up. He is used to it by now. The same thing happens on my phone and I've had the number for 20 years. It's just how it is with scammers now. Eventually, the calls for whoever had the old number will stop, but the spam calls will begin.

There are robocall blocking apps, but I just found that they drained my battery. So, just ignore calls from unknown numbers. It's annoying, but it's the best way to handle it.

^^ I agree or don't answer calls unless from your local area code. I assume as a child, he/she wouldn't regularly have friends calling from out of state. Each phone may be different, but on mine, the NAME of the person in my contact list shows up when they call. If only a phone # shows up, then I know it isn't anyone on my contact list.

Most of my scam calls come from my area code. This is how most scammers get people to pick up the call. You think it must be someone you know since its from your area. It's called spoofing.

It makes more sense to make sure she knows how to add friends as contacts, and do it immediately anytime she gets a friend's number.

It's annoying at first, but they will eventually slow down. Someone named Debbie had my cell number before me. I got TONS of calls for her at first. It was annoying, but I just told each person that this wasn't her number anymore. Now, almost 12 years later, I still get one every now and then, but nothing like at first.

I get over a dozen calls a day from people I don’t know, I just don’t answer. If it’s someone I know they can leave a message.

^^ We do the same. Our house phone has a block on all of those useless 'robocalls' and scammers NEVER leave a message....go figure. No, I don't want you to update my PC software (the real Microsoft NEVER calls people), we don't owe the IRS any back-taxes (IRS website says they NEVER call demanding money as the first contact) and I have no interest in your lower interest credit card.....apparently there are enough gullible people who fall for those scams and give out personal contact info that way. On my cell phone, if not in my contact list, I also don't answer it..........leave a message......... if you are a real person not trying to sell me something I don't want or scam me, I might call you back.

I do laugh at the funny emails we sometimes get. The bad grammar and syntax errors make it obvious it is yet another scammer from someplace where English isn't their native language...........in the trash. No legit business I know of ever sends out an email asking you to "verify your password".........LOL.

I have a new cell phone # too and i’ve been getting lots of robocalls. I answer them because they appear from a local number and then I block it in the phone app. I’ve been getting ones for healthcare, student loans, and other random stuff. So annoying.

^^It's called 'spoofing' when someone calling you shows up as a different phone # then where they are actually calling from. Personally, I think spoofing should be illegal, but the phone service providers don't seem to care and do nothing to prevent this practice. Add everyone you know who calls you to your contact list and then only answer your cell phone when the number shows up a NAME from your contact list. Ones that show 'unknown caller' or 'out of area' are most likely someone selling something. Some of my favorites are recorded calls that start by saying 'we aren't selling anything.......'.....hmmm then why are you calling me????........LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter