Is there a slow(er) time anymore?

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
It's been a couple years since my last trip to Disneyland. It seems it has gotten busier & busier. Is there a slower time anymore? I really want to go again in the next year before Glaxay's Edge opens. Is there a good/better time to go anymore or does it not matter?

It’s pretty much always busy. The best bet is to look at the AP blockout calendar and go when the most passes are blocked. I’ve found that three day holiday weekends tend to actually be pretty good due to AP blockage, longer hours, and locals busy doing other things since it’s a long weekend.

Summer from July to mid August has the lower passes blocked so this can also be a good time to go. There will be longer hours and minimal ride closures.

I’d avoid October. Halloween has become very popular. I swear a Tuesday in mid October a few years ago was one of the busiest days I’ve seen.

Early December can be nice. You get the holiday decorations but not the horrible crowds during the school breaks.

Also, be sure to avoid the days leading up to any AP blockage. People tend to try to squeeze in one last trip before they get blocked so those days can be extra busy.

Yes, there are absolutely times that are slower than other times but if I post them I will get endless arguments.
My apologies to the friendlier folks here (it's not you whom I speak of) but for some this is just the way this place has become.
I suggest you do your own research outside the forum.

Good luck!

No, there aren’t predictable slower times. But there can be random slow days. Sometimes due to negative weather.

No predictable slower days/time of year anymore. At least if you define slow day as walk on or 15 min or less for every ride all day. There are slower periods, avoiding holidays, spring break, non-block out days. However, there are slower times you should go when visiting. Make sure to hit rope drop in the morning, get to the park at least an hour before opening. Last spring break (Aerial was 75 min wait at one point) we hit rope drop every morning. Most rides were 15 min wait until about 11:00am. Tuesday-Thursday were the least crowded.

in 2018, and 2018 only, the week after thanksgiving in the best predicable choice, because that week disappears in 2019 and beyond, no one knows it is there, in the past, always the rumor that week after Thanksgiving is busy, which is very true for 2019, but in 2018 it wlll be great for holiday visiting. The safest choice, once again due to rumors, the week after Candlelight is the best choice,

It's been a couple years since my last trip to Disneyland. It seems it has gotten busier & busier. Is there a slower time anymore? I really want to go again in the next year before Glaxay's Edge opens. Is there a good/better time to go anymore or does it not matter?

Its busy most everyday by Disney's design, but the past two years, the middle to end of June has been surprisingly nice. And quite a few people say that the Fourth of July has had low crowds the past few years. It doesn't make much sense but I was there the day before the 4th a few years back and it was not that bad. So I'd also add in the first week in July to the later half of June.

The summer season (overall) doesn't seem to be as crowded as the fall holiday season any more. Its been that way for a few years now.

Last edited:
It’s pretty much always busy. The best bet is to look at the AP blockout calendar and go when the most passes are blocked. I’ve found that three day holiday weekends tend to actually be pretty good due to AP blockage, longer hours, and locals busy doing other things since it’s a long weekend.

Summer from July to mid August has the lower passes blocked so this can also be a good time to go. There will be longer hours and minimal ride closures.

I’d avoid October. Halloween has become very popular. I swear a Tuesday in mid October a few years ago was one of the busiest days I’ve seen.

Early December can be nice. You get the holiday decorations but not the horrible crowds during the school breaks.

Also, be sure to avoid the days leading up to any AP blockage. People tend to try to squeeze in one last trip before they get blocked so those days can be extra busy.
Also, look up when cast members are blocked from signing in, there will be days where they are and most passed a blocked out, those will be better days as well.

And if it rains in the morning (before park opening through about 2 hours after park opening), it will further reduce crowds.

I also think there are still slower times of the years, relatively speaking, but there probably aren't any really predictable slow times. DLR has been doing a lot to try and spread out the crowds by introducing variable level ticket pricing, special ticket promotions, and offering special events & activities. In terms of next year before the summer starts, I think your best bet is to probably avoid holiday weekends and Spring Break Season. Nominally, I would think that weekdays in late January through February are probably your best bet (avoid MLK and President's weekends). However, as mentioned, there will probably be shorter hours, more refurbishment, and less nighttime entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter