Is the Sci-fi Dine In worth it??

Miniefan

DIS Veteran
Hi guys I am trying to narrow it down with the restaurants we are eating at during our trip, and we wanted to eat at the Sci-fi Dine in but it seems a little expensive for just burger style meals and other things, What do you think about this restaurant??
Thanks,
Kim

Our family (DH & I, DS9 & DD5) really likes this restaurant and we have been going every trip. Yes, it's pricey for burgers, but you are also paying for the show. It's fun to sit in the "cars" just like the drive-in and watch really bad (but very good) old black & white sci-fi clips. Try it at least once to see if it's something you like. BY the way, the burgers are very good! :)

Jill

hi miniefan,

looks like we are heading down to see the mouse around the same time.. i am tying to figure out where we want to dine too!

my husband and i ate at 50's prime time once before and were not too thrilled with the choices that they had... the atmosphere is really different and neat, but the food in my opinion was ok... the last couple of years we have been eating at "hollywood and vine", lots of choices to chose from... just thought i would give you my opinion, i am sure that many people do like it at the prime time, but we chose not to go back...

We've always had good meals at the Sci Fi. The sandwiches are alittle expensive, but no more than anywhere else on property.

On our last trip I had the Reuben, DH had a barbqued chicken sandwich and DS had chicken fingers. We split an order of onion rings ad they were great.

We like the atmosphere. On a hot day, it's nice to go inside where it's dark and cool.

oh god, sorry!!!! i just noticed that i was talking about the wrong restaurant!!!!!!

you can ignore my last statement then!!! sorry

We also like SciFi, but not for the burgers. We find there are much better burgers to be had at Le Cellier, Concourse Steakhouse and Beaches and Cream. But we do love SciFi for the atmosphere and the desserts! We go here quite a bit as a nice cooling late afternoon break for desserts and the atmosphere. We make a late afternoon PS and just go for dessert and sometimes the onion rings. We have never had a problem, with doing this and the servers have always been just fine with this. Of course the price of desserts and drinks for a whole table plus tip is not too shabby, so I really do not think the servers care what you order, as long as you tip appropriately.

In our oppinion the best thing about Sci-Fi is that you eat in the cars, my kids LOVED that and that is the ONLY reason we have been twice. The food is just Okay, but expensive for what you get. The film clips are kind of cheesy (I think they are suppose to be), but the kids didn't even pay attention to them because it was nothing that they knew. If your kids are into like those B film clips they might enjoy it, but if they wouldn't care about eating in a car or watching cheesy film clips don't go because the food isn't worth going for!!!

I am trying to think of other places to go instead if you are thinking of eating at MGM, I have heard great things about the Toy Story Pizza Planet restaurant. I hear the pizza is cheap and good! That is were we are planning on going. I have to be sure to save some quarters for the arcade.

WE just ate at the Sci Fi last week for the first time and loved it! The whole experience is wonderful! The food is pretty standard. Nothing really stands out except the milk shakes and onion rings... they are REALLY good. My dh remarked that his burger there tasted just like the burger he got poolside at the Dolphin. probably the same meat supplier. The food was good not great. It is pricey, but so is everything else at WDW. I'd say for the entire experience, it is soooo worth it. Our two DDs (5 & 7) loved the food and the film and eating in the car. The servers are great and even joked and played with the DDs. We asked for one milk shake to split between the two girls (they also had sodas each) and they brought them out it plastic cups with lids. I thought that was a nice touch. We tipped well and we will definately go back.

I think its the best themed restaurant in all of Disney, adn worth one visit just for that. Kids, esp, LOVE IT and they have good shakes. Its a great, relaxing place to stop for a snack and shake, if nothing else. All food is expensive in theme parks, you might as well have entertainment, cool themeing, and nice a/c to eat it by =)

Yup - hubby and I ate there just a week ago on our trip and LOVED IT. The food is good, but the atmosphere is amazing and I think that's prob what they are really charging you for. It was actually sort of romantic (well AFTER we asked to be moved to a different "car" - we had a screaming 2 year old in the seat in front and the parent ignored her, but we couldn't stand it)

Also we had a great waiter, he took a pic of us and everything for our album. Also, I don't know if any other couples have done this but hubby and I saved ALOT of money on meals by sharing dishes. At Sci-Fi the helpings were large enough and our waiter was nice enough to split the burger and fries on two seperate plates for us when he brought it out.

We will definately go back :Pinkbounc

We ate at the Sci Fi in May...it was my son's 9th birthday and he wanted to eat there. We had been before several years ago, so we knew what to expect for atmosphere.

The food was good. I had the BBQ chicken sandwich and my dh had the reuben. Both were huge. The best part of the meal was the cookies and cream milkshake that my 2 ds's shared. Next time, I'm getting one of those for myself! LOL

It's a bit pricey, but really no more than any other sit-down. It is a fun place to go, and my kids watched those cheesy movies, even though they are only 9 and 5. They sat up front and my dh and I sat in back. It was a fun time! Give it a try!

We love the Sci-Fi!! We have to go to this place at least once on every trip. We've never ventured out past the burgers (HUGE!), but they're so good that we never wanted to!

As a matter of fact, on our last trip, with my parents, Sci Fi & Liberty Tree Tavern were the only two restaurants that they requested we return to!

If nothing else, I would recommend you go & try it out. If it's not for you, well then you'll know to skip it on the next trip. But you might just discover you love it as much as we do! :teeth:

Have fun!

We just had lunch for the first time at the Sci-Fi a few weeks ago and it was a HUGE hit with our family! The food was ok, not bad or anything, but the atmosphere was a blast! Our DS LOVED sitting in the front seat of the car and was even given a "drivers license" to bring home as a souvenir. We bought him one of the souvenir cups with a blue glow in the dark "ice" cube, which he thought was really cool. The cube still works and he uses it everytime he has something to drink. A really FUN restaurant! ::yes::

Go for the atmosphere! The kids will love it. Don't expect a lot from the food and perhaps you will be pleasantly surpised. Ate there March 2004 with my DN age 9. He loved the french fries so much, he got a second order. I had chili and a salad.... it was ok.

we ate at the sci-fi last sept. I thought the menu was not that extensive and the food was ok at best. It was cool to watch the cheesy 50's sci-fi movies on the big screen while we ate.Overall it was not a bad time but we would not go there again..

My boys and I loved the Sci Fi last summer. They were 4 & 8 at the time and still talk about it. They still have the glowy ice cubes too and they still work! Almost a year later. Total agreement with everyone else, the onion rings were great! Also the chili and the salad with spiced walnuts was REALLY good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter