Is the PMP market becoming saturated?

Pink Partridge

DIS Veteran
So many people on my Facebook are posting they are going for or just completed their Project Management certificate. Some of these people can't manage their own day to day lives :rolleyes1 It's actually comical.

Are any of you seeing this trend?

Never heard of it either, as I am long out of the workforce. Googled it, pulled up an article (by the project management industry of course) that claimed the world will need 25 million more project managers by 2030.

One of my siblings, who had been a college math major, worked in project management for many years. She also had an MBA, and worked her way up to SVP of a bank.

Never heard of it. But looking it up, it fits the bill of a couple of people I worked for towards the end of my career. Young, on the Management track. But absolutely no idea how to do the jobs the people they supervise are doing. Favorite phrases are things like "work flow". And then their heads explode when the reality of work doesn't fit into the work flow.

Worked with a few and didn't notice any difference compared to project managers that didn't have a PMP.

The key things that separate good from bad project managers is knowing the product development process and job roles/responsibilities. That comes with experience that a certificate cannot bring.

So many people on my Facebook are posting they are going for or just completed their Project Management certificate. Some of these people can't manage their own day to day lives :rolleyes1 It's actually comical.

Are any of you seeing this trend?

I haven't seen that on my social media. But I'm a PMP and have had the certification for many years. The test was frickin' hard. When it comes to professional certifications, in my opinion, 2 things are true:
  1. Just because you have a certification, doesn't mean that you're good at that job.
  2. Just because you do NOT have a certification, it doesn't mean that the non-certified person does NOT do a good job.
I've encountered PMP-certified people who are really bad project managers. And I've encountered non-certified project managers who are really good at it.

Never heard of it and we have specific jobs in our company relating to 'project management'. My general view of most of these types of 'certifications' is they are more about some group making money by selling you something. Take a test/pay some fee and now you are 'certified'. Generic certifications are useless since there are way too many specific aspects to how we choose to run our product development programs.

Last edited:
Never heard of it and we have specific jobs in our company relating to 'project management'. My general view of most of these types of 'certifications' is they are more about some group making money by selling you something. Take a test/pay some fee and now you are 'certified'. Generic certifications are useless since there are way too many specific aspects to how choose to run our product development programs.
Yup. PMI is pocketing big bucks for memberships, certifications, and PDUs.

I don’t have my PMP but it’s basically what I do. My masters is in library science but I work in a corporate setting, I used to run our library but was looking to do something new. A lot of cross over skills between the two. I don’t think I’d go for the certification because my boss said experience means more than the certification (she has it) and thinks it would be a waste of my time. If I was going back to school I’d rather get my PhD.

I have a PMP. I agree the test was difficult but I actually did better than I thought. I am actually considering dropping the cert as I really don’t need it. However, I have a fraud certificate also CFE. Even with years of experience I would not have gotten the work I have in this area without the cert. I have a contract that says I must maintain it to keep the work.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest