Is Slinky Dog Dash THAT great?

meggiebeth

WDW, DLR & DLP enthusiast
Hi all,

I have got my FastPasses for my upcoming trip booked, but am now thinking that our itinerary would be better if we switched one of our Epcot days with our Hollywood Studios day. However, we currently have a FastPass for Slinky Dog Dash and there are none available on the other day, so we would lose this FastPass if we were to switch the days around. Is Slinky Dog Dash a must see ride, or would we not be missing out? (We are happy to queue, but I don’t want to queue one hour for a tame roller coaster ride, unless it’s really special or unique). Our other DHS FastPasses would be Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster, so I’m thinking Toy Story Mania or Star Tours might be an OK replacement for Slinky Dog Dash?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I think SDD is definitely worth a ride if you've never ridden it before. If you are a thrill ride junkie, you may find the ride tame but it's still fun none-the-less. The lines aren't too bad if you rope drop HS and go straight to SDD. Or better yet, ride it at night right before the park closes. The nighttime lighting is amazing to look at. Makes the ride so much more fun.

It’s a fun ride. We thought that it was better at night and rode it twice with about a 20min wait during the Star Wars fireworks show. The wait was listed as 50mins. This was during the first week that it had opened.

It is a good kids coaster. Smooth, not too jerky, no real drops. Worth riding at least once, but I don't see it becoming a classic must do ride after the initial hype wears off.

I would still use a fast pass on it just to avoid the waits.

The nighttime lighting is amazing to look at. Makes the ride so much more fun.

Totally agree!

Never see the track lighting package mentioned,but it is awesome at night-would love to see it on the 4th of July with the red/white/blue lighting!

I also thought Slinky was more "intense" than expected-I thought it was more intense than SDMT and almost on par with BTMRR.

And Slinky has to be the cutest ride vehicle in all of WDW!:)

It's not a kiddie coaster, it is a true mini-coaster that is good for kids, teens, and adults if that makes sense. It's worth a ride, but as others have said you can do it without a FP and not much wait if you are willing to get up early or stay til close to park close. It is beautiful at night and a lot cooler back there as well. It is, IMO, perhaps closest to BTMR in MK, definitely speedier and more coaster-like than SDMT.

For us, since we only get to go once every 2-3 years, every ride is a must-do. Sure, we have our favorites (Splash, TOT, Everest, etc.), but we still take time to do those that are not high on the list (Pooh, Riverboat, Triceratop Spin, etc). As fun as are favorites are, we will skip doing an extra ride on Everest in order to take time to ride Triceratop Spin at least once. If time allows, we'll ride Everest multiple times after that. We usually see all the shows as well.

It depends on what you’re looking for. It’s definitely not a thrill ride, but it was pretty fun for the two adults in our group last week. If I was by myself I wouldn’t use a fast pass for it, I’d just wait standby. But with my 6 year old daughter with me, definitely would ride it and use a fast pass as that’s the age it’s geared for.

It's a very fun ride. Not blow your socks off thrill ride but very fun. I would not miss it

I wouldn’t miss it. It’s not going to blow you away but it’s really fun. Much more enjoyable than Mine Train, is that helps.

Like others have said, if you need to switch days, arrive before park opening to make it on at rope drop and/or try to ride at the very end of the night to have minimal wait time.

I would probably keep the day with the FP, but I enjoy the rides at DHS right now more than those at Epcot and would prioritize that park. Which is weird to say because DHS was always the first park I’d be willing to skip.

It's not a kiddie coaster, it is a true mini-coaster that is good for kids, teens, and adults if that makes sense. It's worth a ride, but as others have said you can do it without a FP and not much wait if you are willing to get up early or stay til close to park close. It is beautiful at night and a lot cooler back there as well. It is, IMO, perhaps closest to BTMR in MK, definitely speedier and more coaster-like than SDMT.

He does it compare to Goofy Barnstormer or SDMT as a "kids coaster"

On the "intensity" of Slinky:

For people who are scared of roller coasters, there is definitely a lose your stomach feeling at least twice that I definitely was not prepared for.

I wanted to make sure to write this because I did much reading on the ride before riding it, and definitely got a different impression about the ride then what it was actually like.

My impression from "research": Super easy, kid coaster. No drop feelings. Laughable speed.

I went into the ride without an ounce of fear. I was super excited to ride it. We were put in his tail section, and I felt scared for a second because the back of a coaster is the most intense, but then I got excited because I felt it would make the ride more fun as everyone said it was such an easy roller coaster.

On the first drop, immediate stomach dropping feeling. I was stunned! My boyfriend grabbed my arm b/c he realized I was scared, but I wanted it back b/c I thought maybe putting my arms up would make it more fun and less scary. It didn't help lol. So on the next drop I thought if I put my arms up AND screamed, it would be fun. So I did that and nope, still hated the stomach drop feeling. When we got to a slow down part I said "Absolutely no way am I getting on rockin rollercoaster!" LOL. (He and I hoped I would get on it for the first time that day).

So it DEFINITELY has the stomach drop feeling. For comparison this is how I feel about other Disney thrill rides as a wimperooni:

Space Mountain: LOVE IT. I only get a slight stomach drop feeling on the last "surprise drop". The drops are fun, surprising, and don't produce the stomach feeling for me. That being said, I haven't gotten back on it b/c I'm scared I'll magically get the stomach drop feeling...? Lol, I know, weird.

Test Track: Favorite "thrill" ride at Disney. I LOVE the speed. It's so exciting. No stomach drop feelings on this ride. As long as you are prepared for the speed, it's super fun. One of the most fun rides I've ever been on.

BTMRR: No stomach drops for me on this one. Fun but I don't ride it because it gives me a headache from all the jerkiness.

Frozen: Yes, I'm including this! lol. For years, I was scared of Maelstrom b/c I thought it was a real log flume ride. I finally road it as Frozen and learned it's not :). For anyone scared of drops, the first backwards can be a little surprising but once you ride it at least 2 times, it's just super fun and not scary. No stomach drop on this ride. The real "drop" is basically nothing, and the only part that produces a sensation is the backwards portion. But it's just like a "whee"!

Flight of Passage: Depending on how convinced your brain is of what's happening as you're on the ride, you may get the stomach drop feeling. If it starts to happen and you don't like it, just close your eyes and it immediately goes away.

Rides I have not ridden because I do not enjoy the stomach drop feeling (my poor boyfriend rides by himself):
Splash, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, Seven dwarves mine train (I'm scared of that one drop that you see when looking at the ride. I think it's the one as you come out from seeing the dwarves).

For reference, I also have ridden the following rides on a vacation to Six Flags to see if I could enjoy roller coasters: Nitro (yes seriously), Medusa, Viper, Rollin Thunder, Log Flume. Believe it or not, I used to love Medusa and the Log Flume, but as I got older, nope.

ALL of that being said, As much as I hated Slinky Dog, I also loved it. It's SUCH a good ride. Like really good, smooth, fun, well themed, just SO SO FUN! So even though I overall didn't personally like it, I think I'm going to get on every time I can until I learn to love the particular stomach drops on this ride. We'll see!

TDLR: For anyone scared of the roller coaster drop feeling, from one scaredy cat to another, yes, it does happen, and yes I did hate the feelings BUT I loved the rest of the ride. The speed actually was pretty fast and that was so fun. My boyfriend who rides thrill rides said he felt nothing so I think the majority of people who ride intense roller coasters will say the same. For those who don't, the feeling is definitely present. (EDIT: I possibly also had the feeling b/c I was in the very last car which is always the more intense part of a coaster).

Last edited:

SDD is a kiddie coaster, but it's still a ton of fun. It's definitely bigger and faster than Barnstormer...that one is about as kiddie as they get. I think the best comparison is 7DMT. I'd say it's sort of like that, just intensified maybe 10%. SDD is smooth, moderately quick (not fast for sure) and good family fun.

As to whether it's "that great", that's 100% subjective. Is FoP that great (I say yes)? Is Space that great? Is Philharmagic that great? You'll get 100 different answers, only you can decide. If you're a true coaster junkie, SDD isn't a must do from that perspective. But it's really cool to see and fun to ride.

It's not a kiddie coaster, it is a mini-coaster. It is closest to BTMR, IMO, as WEDWDW says above. It's faster and much more full coaster-like than SDMT. Kids that like BTMR should definitely be able to handle SDD, but I know at least one person that likes EE and SDD made them ill. There are a bunch of "up and downs" and banking turns. I ride and enjoy coasters, and SDD was flat out fun, and the views of TSL are really neat.

It's not a kiddie coaster, it is a mini-coaster. It is closest to BTMR,
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I see no similarity between SDD and BTMR. It's slow-ish, hills are mild-ish, but it will make you smile during the entire ride. As Klayfish wrote "If you're a true coaster junkie, SDD isn't a must do from that perspective".

JMHO,but I put Slinky much closer to BTMRR than SDMT in intensity.:)

Evaluating a coasters' intensity is very much subjective, so there really is no right or wrong. For me, BTMRR and SDD are very different. They go about the same speed (roughly, I don't know exact numbers) and don't do any inversions, but that's about all they have in common. BTMRR is a very jerky ride. It bounces you all around and whips you side to side. It's also very loud. SDD is very smooth, no major jerking motions. It also is nowhere near as loud. It has a smooth, steeply banked turn or two. Those are similar to what 7DMT has. To me, SDD is a kiddie coaster on the intensity scale...toward the high end of the scale, but still kiddie friendly.

When I compare BTMRR to something, I call it Space Mountain with the lights on.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I see no similarity between SDD and BTMR. It's slow-ish, hills are mild-ish, but it will make you smile during the entire ride. As Klayfish wrote "If you're a true coaster junkie, SDD isn't a must do from that perspective".

Yeah, we will have to disagree, but that's ok. Since it is so subjective everyone needs to decide for themselves, esp. buy watching the coaster run when they are there. I love coasters, and I do think it is a must-do as collecting coasters is just as much an objective for me as some type of rush, and it is truly a roller coaster. I would only caution, however, that labeling it a kiddie coaster can be deceiving for people that don't like "coasters" but think they can handle SDD. I've seen it almost ruin an evening for an adult who was really queasy from riding it, and they don't get motion sick even on EE.

I describe Slinky as a rolling coaster motion. It's much longer than 7 Dwarfs so in that was they are quite different. It's so smooth it's really not like any other coaster at Disney. Not seeing where you are going due to the rolling hills gives an added element too.

The only thing in the comments so far I'm lost on is the stomach drop feeling. I am usually sensitive to them, love them but usually feel even small ones, and didn't notice any.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter