Is renting from Hertz a good idea...is it right at Orlando airport

Kris Puyear

Mouseketeer
I was quoted $128 for a weekly rental on a Ford Taurus. Is this a good rate? I am using the AAA discount code.

Is Hertz an easy place to rent a car at Orlando airport? I don't want to have to pile everyone on a bus to be taken to some parking lot a couple miles away, to pick up the car.

Any horror stories? The truth (both the good and bad) will be truly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Kris

You will have to pile on a bus. The Hertz lot is at least 2 miles from the airport. However, I have never had to wait long on a bus. Usually as one bus pulls away another pulls in!

My only horror story (long story short) is that I'd reserved a car from Hertz on my check card (which says VISA), but when we arrived at Hertz, they wouldn't accept anything other than a regular credit card... They where nice enough to find another local company that would rent to me at the same rate... BUT when we arrived at Magic Rental car, they added extra fees to "the rate"... Being stuck, we went ahead and agreed...

Other than that, I suppose they are a good company to go with... I used to set up car rentals for a VP that preferred them over the rental car company that we actually had a contract with.

There are other rental agencies right in the terminal... we used Hertz once because of the AAA discount. They charged us for an upgrade which we did not accept, but adjusted it later when we complained to our credit card co. We have had good luck with Dollar using the codes posted on the transportation boards.

We rented with Hertz through Priceline for $13/day. We got our luggage and walked down the stairs and out the door and boaded the bus that was parked right in front of the door. Bus was not at all crowded. It was a couple minutes to the Hertz location. I waited in line for all of 3 minutes - I was checked in quickly and given an upgrade to an SUV (compact was rented). No charge for upgrade.

PS. I know that you have to have a credit card for a car rental.. debit cards are not ok, they do hold some $$ against your card too FYI - or at least they tell you that they do.

Good luck.. I would rent with them again in a NY minute!

We've rented from the Orlando Hertz a few times. While the shuttle wasn't a problem (very good service as others have mentioned) we will NOT be using Hertz again. Just too many problems getting what we've reserved. They've had their chances with us, time for us to use someone else.

its offsite, but we've always had good luck w/them... one time our car wasn't available we
ended up w/a luxury model w/a GPU in it! NOW I'M SPOILED!! I LIKED NOT GETING LOST!!!
never had any problem getting a bus quickly to or from hertz. The only time i've had
problems were when we rented from them in tampa, their reps went home for the nite
before our plane arrived!!! despite the fact we'd called to let them know about a weather
delay. They were supposed to be there, but just didn't feel like it!! help isn't what it used
to be! <g>

Years ago Hertz was in the airport at MCO. We used them when they were in the airport but not since they moved off. This is not a knock on them but does your $128 include all of the add-ons. I just like being able to pick-up and drop-off the car right in the terminal. If you use the codes that National, Dollar, Budget or Avis offer, I bet that you will come pretty close to the cost. The biggest pain to me is dropping off the car at an off-site location. It just isn't worth the minor savings if there are any at all. The most important thing with all of the rental car companies is to constantly check the rates. They change them all of the time. Good Luck in your decision.

We rented a car from this Hertz location at the end of August this year and had a great experience with them. As soon as we walked outside the terminal we boarded the bus that was right there. It took us just a few minutes to get to the site. There were plenty of people at the desk to check us in and it was very fast. I think that from the time we walked out of the terminal to the time that we were sitting in our car to take off was about a 1/2 hour interval. We were pleased with our car and checking it back in was very fast also.

It sounds like you got a pretty good rate with this. One thing that we used was a coupon that I got on the website for a free upgrade of a car. They also had other coupons so I would suggest hitting the button on the Hertz homepage for the specials.

Also, I don't know if you made your ressies directly throught the AAA site for your Hertz car or not. When I checked the price of the car through the AAA site compared to just going through the Hertz site, I got a better rate going directly through the Hertz site. Do a comparison of each to see which one is a better rate.

I just recently had to rent a car for the weekend here in town and chose to rent through the Hertz location here. The whole process there was the same as the Orlando site and it went just as smooth. I think you will be happy with them.

One thing to remember is not to get talked into the extra insurance offers that they have if you do not need them. Check to see if your regular car insurance covers you for a rental car. If they don't, check to see if your credit card has any coverage for rental cars. I was pleased that we did not have to spend the extra money ($12-20 a day I think) to get the insurance through Hertz.

Enjoy your trip! Hope this helps!

You might want to check out Dollar.com I found $110 for a week for a midsize car, dodge status using the USA1 discount code. We have rented from dollar many times, it is in the terminal and returns are really easy. It is a real pain to wait for a bus to go and get your car!

For the last couple years, we've always rented from either National & Avis because they were at the airport. We've always avoided the off-site car rental agencies. However, the last couple trips, we've noticed the walk from the garage to the terminal is a super long and tiring one (especially after a week at walking all over Disney property). It is especially difficult when you have lots of luggage and all the extra bags of souvenirs from Disney.

The last trip we made, we decided to rent from Hertz. We were a little nervous as we knew it was off-site, however, we had a wonderful experience. No more looooonnnng walks as the Hertz shuttle bus picks up and drops off right at the door. We will continue to rent from Hertz in Orlando.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter