• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is New York part of New England?

Is New York part of New England?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 123 94.6%

• Total voters
So since this thread is drifting I figured I would help push it out to see.....

How many people here realize "Rhode Island" is not the name of the state? Well it not the first third of it

@Robbie Cottam this question is similar to what is the smallest NYC borough and the answer was NOT originally Staten Island 😉

Okay it’s something with Plantation. Cant recall any better.

@Robbie Cottam this question is similar to what is the smallest NYC borough and the answer was NOT originally Staten Island 😉

Okay it’s something with Plantation. Cant recall any better.
The real and complete name of the state was:

"State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"

They're so small that wanted you to know they were their own state, so they included it in the name.

however, during COVID of all times, the removed the "and Providence Plantations"

They're so small that wanted you to know they were their own state, so they included it in the name.

however, during COVID of all times, the removed the "and Providence Plantations"
Indeed, the complete name is now simply State of Rhode Island.

Anyway, the original name wasn't arbitrary. The two largest settlements were on Rhode Island (Newport, the former capital) and in Providence (the current capital). The name made sense!

It's also not an Island!

Indeed, the complete name is now simply State of Rhode Island.

Anyway, the original name wasn't arbitrary. The two largest settlements were on Rhode Island (Newport, the former capital) and in Providence (the current capital). The name made sense!
Yes, they wanted everyone to know they were no longer part of Massachusetts..... Not the State of Massachusetts

Actually, it's not State of Massachusetts. Massachusetts is one of four states (Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Virginia being the others) where the official name is Commonwealth of...so Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
YES, Im aware that is what I said "not the state of Massachusetts"

It's also not an Island!
The state isn't, though parts of it are. But Rhode Island is definitely an island. It's commonly called Aquidneck Island these days, but the official name is still Rhode Island. If you visit Newport, that's where you'll be.

I was born and spent my first 15 years in Plattsburgh, NY. The family then moved to Vermont where I stayed until I was 63 years old so I spent 48 years there and I can assure you that New York is not now and never has been part of New England though NY tried, but the Green Mountain Boys foiled that attempt.

I live in RI, but have traveled a good amount. The further away I go, the better the likelihood of it happening 🤷🏻

Maybe it's because they don't know Long Island is the actual name and not simply a description? They may confuse it, as in: The long island to the right on NYC, Rhode Island"? 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter