• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is Going Through Customs Worth Saving Money?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
I can get a good deal on flights for our upcoming trip, but the flight is out of Montreal, Quebec, which means we will have to go through customs since we are US citizens and reside in New York. Is it worth it for a good rate on airline tickets for 5 people?

It would have to be a HUGE savings, and even then, probably not. What is the price difference?

Well, it’s early because our trip isn’t until next year, but $175 versus $275 and up. The $275 is with a layover. My thought is that it’s still early and ticket prices may go down. Our last trip we flew Southwestern for just under $200, and their tickets aren’t on sale yet.

Last edited:
You will go through US Customs in Montreal and then the flight is treated as a domestic flight at MCO. So, you don’t go through US Customs in Orlando.

You will go through US Customs in Montreal and then the flight is treated as a domestic flight at MCO. So, you don’t go through US Customs in Orlando.

How much extra time will that involve in Montreal? I’ve only flown a couple international flights and both were 20+ years ago.

How much extra time will that involve in Montreal? I’ve only flown a couple international flights and both were 20+ years ago.

So would you be driving to Montreal then flying out of there? Or flying from somewhere in New York to Montreal, then connecting to Orlando?

I'm be sceptical on getting better deals direct out of Canada - our airfare often much higher than US domestic flights and a lot of people close to the border will drive to the US to take flights, but if the math works out, it may be worth it. Clearing customs in Montreal could be anywhere from a short 5/10 minutes, up to maybe an hour (not sure as I've only cleared US customs in Canada in Calgary) depending on time of day and how many other flights there are. If you are driving to Montreal, then flying, I'd be potentially prepared for some extra questioning on why you are flying out of Canada. Also if that is the case, then I'd really figure out what additional costs there would be for transport/parking etc.

Really varies quite a lot since it is dependent on the number of cross border flights at the time. It can be 20 minutes to an hour or more. Midday hours, 10-2:00 typically will be the longest.

So would you be driving to Montreal then flying out of there? Or flying from somewhere in New York to Montreal, then connecting to Orlando?

I'm be sceptical on getting better deals direct out of Canada - our airfare often much higher than US domestic flights and a lot of people close to the border will drive to the US to take flights, but if the math works out, it may be worth it. Clearing customs in Montreal could be anywhere from a short 5/10 minutes, up to maybe an hour (not sure as I've only cleared US customs in Canada in Calgary) depending on time of day and how many other flights there are. If you are driving to Montreal, then flying, I'd be potentially prepared for some extra questioning on why you are flying out of Canada. Also if that is the case, then I'd really figure out what additional costs there would be for transport/parking etc.

We live in upstate New York—way upstate, as in north of Lake Placid. We are closer to Montreal and Ottawa than the other major airports in Albany or Syracuse. I have many friends that have flown out of either Montreal or Ottawa. It’s less than 2 hours away. We would be driving to the airport and flying out in the same day. Our last Disney trip, we had to fly out of Albany, which was 4 hours away, so it’s more than just for the reduced fare. It’s actually more convenient for us. We had to stay at a hotel in Albany the night before, and wouldn’t have to do that this time.

That said, I’m also concerned about what documents we would need? Our drivers license and our boys’ birth certificates have always been enough to cross the border, but would we need passports to fly out of Montreal?

Last edited:
Okay, so now I’m really confused! I was on the orbitz site originally and the flight was under Air Transat. Well, when I actually went to the air transit website and pulled up the flight, the fare was $173.50, but there was a total showing above that included all sorts of different taxes that showed a total fare of $297.50?? But orbitz show the rate now as $210.

Last edited:
We live in upstate New York—way upstate, as in north of Lake Placid. We are closer to Montreal and Ottawa than the other major airports in Albany or Syracuse. I have many friends that have flown out of either Montreal or Ottawa. It’s less than 2 hours away. We would be driving to the airport and flying out in the same day. Our last Disney trip, we had to fly out of Albany, which was 4 hours away, so it’s more than just for the reduced fare. It’s actually more convenient for us. We had to stay at a hotel in Albany the night before, and wouldn’t have to do that this time.

That said, I’m also concerned about what documents we would need? Our drivers license and our boys’ birth certificates have always been enough to cross the border, but would we need passports to fly out of Montreal?

If it is a closer drive and price is right then I would definitely consider it. I am really not sure about documents, but would probably err on the side of caution and bring passports (although maybe one of your friends who has done this would have a better answer). I just know that as a Canadian, we can't travel into the US without a passport anymore (or there may be some limited situations when you can driving but not flying), but not sure what the rules would be for an American in that case.

I wonder if the Orbitz fare will add on extra fees at checkout?

Okay, so now I’m really confused! I was on the orbitz site originally and the flight was under Air Transat. Well, when I actually went to the air transit website and pulled up the flight, the fare was $173.50, but there was a total showing above that included all sorts of different taxes that showed a total fare of $297.50?? But orbitz show the rate now as $210.
I would NOT purchase airfare from any 3rd party. If there are any issues after you purchase your ticket, you'll need to work through the 3rd party.

It's very possible Orbitz is advertising the low fee, and then when you go through the process, the total will change to reflect all the taxes, or the price magically won't be available.

Go through Orbitz' site until you're asked to put in your credit card information. At some point before that, you should get the real price.

I would NOT purchase airfare from any 3rd party. If there are any issues after you purchase your ticket, you'll need to work through the 3rd party.

It's very possible Orbitz is advertising the low fee, and then when you go through the process, the total will change to reflect all the taxes, or the price magically won't be available.

Go through Orbitz' site until you're asked to put in your credit card information. At some point before that, you should get the real price.

Thank you! I tried to do this and the price was fluctuating all over the place. It went up to $936 and back down to $210, which made me nervous. We are thinking that it won’t be worth the savings if we have to deal with customs and buy 5 passports.

You would all need passports to fly out of Montreal into the US (and passports for going back again). Anyone over 16 would also need a passport for crossing the border by land (though I think a passport card would work). Moot point if you're planning on driving there to fly (since you definitely need it for flying).

I second what Sam said about not booking through a 3rd party like Orbitz, in most cases the airlines have the same fare or will match it. A lot of times with those 3rd party you start booking at one price and all of a sudden you get a message "ooops, the fare has gone up since you started booking." I have had it happen to me numerous time. The last time Jet Blue fares were $175 each way and it was either Orbitz or Expedia that said they had them for $125 each way. Went to book and all of a sudden got that message that they had gone up, and guess what? They went up to $175 each way, just like JB had them for. I booked through JB. For the heck of it I back to the Orbitz or Expedia site 2 days later and it said the fare was $125. Tried a mock booking and guess what message I got? Yep same message. My feeling is they use it like a bait and switch though they claim that it took a bit for their system to update to reflect current prices. By that time they figure you have spent the time on their website you will just book with them.

I second what Sam said about not booking through a 3rd party like Orbitz, in most cases the airlines have the same fare or will match it. A lot of times with those 3rd party you start booking at one price and all of a sudden you get a message "ooops, the fare has gone up since you started booking." I have had it happen to me numerous time. The last time Jet Blue fares were $175 each way and it was either Orbitz or Expedia that said they had them for $125 each way. Went to book and all of a sudden got that message that they had gone up, and guess what? They went up to $175 each way, just like JB had them for. I booked through JB. For the heck of it I back to the Orbitz or Expedia site 2 days later and it said the fare was $125. Tried a mock booking and guess what message I got? Yep same message. My feeling is they use it like a bait and switch though they claim that it took a bit for their system to update to reflect current prices. By that time they figure you have spent the time on their website you will just book with them.

Thank you! I’ve taken both of your advice and am strictly looking at the airline sites directly. DH and I were discussing that we suspected (as you said) that it was a bait and switch tactic. We are going to keep looking, and while the Canadian rate was good—not enough to justify customs and passport purchases, at least not for this trip.

If you have EDL, it is only good for land crossing borders and not flights, you will need passports to fly from YUL to MCO. We live on the Canadian boarder in NW Vermont and make the 3 hr. drive to ALB, even though we have 2 airports within an hr. from home, just for the nonstop flights and cheaper airfare, Southwest. Have you looked at Allegiant air out of Plattsburgh? they have nonstop flights to Sanford for around 127 - 200.

If you have EDL, it is only good for land crossing borders and not flights, you will need passports to fly from YUL to MCO. We live on the Canadian boarder in NW Vermont and make the 3 hr. drive to ALB, even though we have 2 airports within an hr. from home, just for the nonstop flights and cheaper airfare, Southwest. Have you looked at Allegiant air out of Plattsburgh? they have nonstop flights to Sanford for around 127 - 200.

We have talked about Allegiant. They also fly out of Ogdensburg, NY, which is closer for us. The downside is paying for baggage and flying into Sanford means we can’t use Magical Express. We flew Southwest out of Albany on our last trip and it was a direct flight for under $200. Southwest flights aren’t available yet for January, 2019. Any idea when they go on sale? We liked flying Southwest last time and would do it again, but are nervous the flights won’t be as cheap this time. It’s a gamble I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter