Is DVC right for us?

AnnaLuC

Earning My Ears
Hello. We have been making annual trips to Disney for either the Halloween or Christmas party for the past 5 years. During that time we have paid Disney cash rate for 2 bedroom villas for our family of 6 and after much reading I am seeing how much we could save by buying something resale. I think we are close to moving forward but we have one problem. My husband’s employer releases their yearly project schedule in June. We can’t make any vacation plans until that schedule comes out. This means we would be attempting to plan something 4-6 months out. We aren’t picky with where we stay. A 2 bedroom anwhere or 2 poly studios would work. I know there are no promises but would we have a chance at anything most years? Thank you for your help.

Your flexibility with resort and frequency of visit could make DVC work for you.

But the biggest obstacle, as you rightly identified, will be the 4-6 month planning. Compounding this is around both of those times, you run into the busiest times for DVC: Food and Wine (around the same time as MNSSH), and the first two weeks of December (Mickey’s Very merry Christmas).

What exactly does the June work schedule tell you? Does it say you’ll be free either October or December? Or does it give a much narrower window of when you’ll be able to vacation?

If it’s the latter, DVC may not work as those dates (Sep-mid-Jan) are rough at the 4-6 month mark, even for a 2BR (with number of the resorts using studio/1BR lockoffs - BWV only has lockoffs).

If it’s the former, with a decent sized contract and the right UY (June), you could potentially hold a Sept/Oct week in Oct/Nov the previous year at the 11-month mark, then hold a second Nov/Dec week the preceding Dec/Jan then come June, release the week you don’t use and bank those points for the following year. Rinse and repeat.

Every couple years you may need to take an extra trip or rent points out if you don’t use them... but few DVCers seem to have problem finding reasons to squeeze in an extra trip.

ETA: June would be the best month to cover your times of interest.

Last edited:
Does your husband have a rough idea of when he can go on vacation? If you do, you could tentatively schedule for a Christmas or Halloween Party at the 11 month mark, and then reschedule if it doesn't work out. As long as you cancel the reservation before they turn into "holding points" you can use your points pretty easily.

For instance, right now you cannot get a week at one poly studio for October or the first two weeks of December, and it is not June yet. Waitlist would not be kind either by that point.

Availability for 2BRs is also pretty bad. We are inside 7 months for October, but the first two weeks of December are still in home resort and not good.

Needing a 2-bedroom will work in your favor for the resorts that have dedicated 2-bedroom. If you truly don't care where you stay and you don't change your mind later, then I would say go for it.

:earsboy: Bill

Booking 4 - 6 months in advance for Fall frenzy means that even SSR might be difficult sometimes. DVC works better for someone who can book 7 months in advance or 11 for a few weeks and resorts.

Can you already know in advance a possible alternatives for your DH's holidays?
If you work with banked points and have every year twice the number of points needed for your vacation, you could book two reservations earlier and then cancel the one you're not going to use. If you then have to adjust the reservation by a couple of nights it may be easier, using waitlist, stalking the website for cancellations or doing split stays.

Your flexibility with resort and frequency of visit could make DVC work for you.

But the biggest obstacle, as you rightly identified, will be the 4-6 month planning. Compounding this is around both of those times, you run into the busiest times for DVC: Food and Wine (around the same time as MNSSH), and the first two weeks of December (Mickey’s Very merry Christmas).

What exactly does the June work schedule tell you? Does it say you’ll be free either October or December? Or does it give a much narrower window of when you’ll be able to vacation?

If it’s the latter, DVC may not work as those dates (Sep-mid-Jan) are rough at the 4-6 month mark, even for a 2BR (with number of the resorts using studio/1BR lockoffs - BWV only has lockoffs).

If it’s the former, with a decent sized contract and the right UY (June), you could potentially hold a Sept/Oct week in Oct/Nov the previous year at the 11-month mark, then hold a second Nov/Dec week the preceding Dec/Jan then come June, release the week you don’t use and bank those points for the following year. Rinse and repeat.

Every couple years you may need to take an extra trip or rent points out if you don’t use them... but few DVCers seem to have problem finding reasons to squeeze in an extra trip.

ETA: June would be the best month to cover your times of interest.

Good plan can book earlier and then adjust as necessary. If you have more points book out a longer period then cancel what doesn’t work. Since she is paying cash it should be a good savings.

Hello. We have been making annual trips to Disney for either the Halloween or Christmas party for the past 5 years. During that time we have paid Disney cash rate for 2 bedroom villas for our family of 6 and after much reading I am seeing how much we could save by buying something resale. I think we are close to moving forward but we have one problem. My husband’s employer releases their yearly project schedule in June. We can’t make any vacation plans until that schedule comes out. This means we would be attempting to plan something 4-6 months out. We aren’t picky with where we stay. A 2 bedroom anwhere or 2 poly studios would work. I know there are no promises but would we have a chance at anything most years? Thank you for your help.
While it could be a great option for you, I wouldn't recommend buying if you can't plan at least 7 months out. Maybe an in between option where you buy enough for about half the trips and plan ahead not to lose points would be helpful. I don't think flexibility in other areas is sufficient to make this very workable. Now if you could plan at least 7 months out and hope then have to change some of the time, that might make it workable. Or maybe you could buy enough points to book say 2 weeks when you only need one then rent out the rest but it would increase costs and risk. I suspect your best option is to work with a single renter on a consistent basis. You'll get most of the savings with a lot less risk and have more options.

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately we have no idea when he would be free for vacation until June. We could take a guess and book a week or two at 11 months but it would only be a guess. If we buy worst case is we have to cancel and pay cash. Renting out points would make that less painful and in the years it does work out for us it would be a significant savings. While we are flexible and will stay anywhere more than 2 resort split stay would make me miserable. I like to unpack and settle in. Thank you again for the ideas. You gave me plenty to consider.

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately we have no idea when he would be free for vacation until June. We could take a guess and book a week or two at 11 months but it would only be a guess. If we buy worst case is we have to cancel and pay cash. Renting out points would make that less painful and in the years it does work out for us it would be a significant savings. While we are flexible and will stay anywhere more than 2 resort split stay would make me miserable. I like to unpack and settle in. Thank you again for the ideas. You gave me plenty to consider.
There’s a really strong rental market. Maybe try that for a couple of cycles and see how booking something at 4-6 months for a 2BR works for you. If you don’t have much luck renting or find it difficult to string together something workable, you may be better off just paying cash.

Buying in involves an up front cost that may only make sense over long term usage (e.g., if you use the timeshare regularly). There is far too much uncertainty (read: risk) in your situation to make DVC an obvious choice for your Disney needs.

I'm not sure that it would work well for you if your husband only has a 4-6 month notice for his vacation. Many properties are very hard to book by the 7 month window. If he knows for the next year, that works well after the first year for you.
If you are trying to get anything around Christmas, i doubt you will find anything available at the 4-6 month window.

No he never knows ahead of time. He gets his schedule for the whole year in June. As long as he is with this company we will always have to plan PTO that way.

No he never knows ahead of time. He gets his schedule for the whole year in June. As long as he is with this company we will always have to plan PTO that way.

I don't think it's a great idea. The uncertainty of things isn't in your favor here. Also, the more people you have, the more room you need and the larger rooms aren't exactly available when you'd look to be booking. Unless there's some major career move or the company adjusts their schedule output, I wouldn't look at going the route you are. You potentially may buy into something that you rent out and never use for yourself.

Given that, I don't see DVC working for you at this time, unless you are willing to change your travel time to WDW. If you want to stay with Halloween or Christmas, I think you are much better off going the cash route instead of DVC. At 4-5 months and that time of year, your selection would be minimal at best for DVC.

Considering how much rack rate is for 2 BRs, I’d say the risk is worth it. Your break even will likely only be three trips.

Get an Oct UY so you have more flexibility in using your points.

It will work fine if you get notice in June and vacation any time from mid January to the following May. It will not work if he gets his schedule in June and you want to vacation in June through mid-January.

If you were booking mid-Jan through May, it could work. But not Oct or Dec. You won't find much open at all by June.

Hell, there is not much open NOW for October or December, and December is still in home resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter