Is Cable going the way of the Dinosaur

Cable/Satellite is going the way of the "landline." My youngest daughter almost exclusively watches Netflix.

LOL. Still have my landline too. Retiring in about 2 years and hoping to get rid of my CELL phone! Seriously, Cable and Satellite are declining, but their infrastructure is in place and I suspect just like the landline, they will be around for a lot longer.

LOL. Still have my landline too. Retiring in about 2 years and hoping to get rid of my CELL phone! Seriously, Cable and Satellite are declining, but their infrastructure is in place and I suspect just like the landline, they will be around for a lot longer.
The cable infrastructure will exists only to provide data services.

The satellite services we know will die and not return until some new breakthrough in satellite technology.

AT&T hopes to kill off POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) by 2020. Laws stand in their way but they are slowly chipping away and getting regulatory approval to service remote areas with cellular services masquerading as POTS. I don't think they will hit the 2020 goal, actually I hope not since my job revolves around POTS, but it will not be much longer after 2020.

The cable infrastructure will exists only to provide data services.

The satellite services we know will die and not return until some new breakthrough in satellite technology.

AT&T hopes to kill off POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) by 2020. Laws stand in their way but they are slowly chipping away and getting regulatory approval to service remote areas with cellular services masquerading as POTS. I don't think they will hit the 2020 goal, actually I hope not since my job revolves around POTS, but it will not be much longer after 2020.
Well, I am in California, home of regulation. A-T & T had to dig up my neighbor's lawn to replace my landline this year, and I wondered if they would give me a hard time since it was all at their cost and they said they are legally obligated through 2050 to provide landline service to anyone wanting it. But that could be a California thing.
And Comcast/Xfinity is busy digging up my entire community to upgrade cable service and internet.

I think this will be an EXTREMELY long time in coming. Again, there are many locations where internet isn't available, or even if it is, not fast enough for streaming.

I’ve never been one for premium channels but in order for me to get things like TV Land or Food Network I have to go up the next tier and then have to wade through 100s of channels to get to them.
I don't know what service you're using, but both of those networks are available on Dish's base level (America's Top 12), which is $60/month.

I think this will be an EXTREMELY long time in coming. Again, there are many locations where internet isn't available, or even if it is, not fast enough for streaming.
Fixed wireless in the form of 5G cellular networks will kill satellite service.

Well, I am in California, home of regulation. A-T & T had to dig up my neighbor's lawn to replace my landline this year, and I wondered if they would give me a hard time since it was all at their cost and they said they are legally obligated through 2050 to provide landline service to anyone wanting it. But that could be a California thing.
And Comcast/Xfinity is busy digging up my entire community to upgrade cable service and internet.
As I said there are regulatory hurdles that must be solved but the money is there to get them solved.

https://www.staugustine.com/news/bu...se-landline-fcc-passes-phone-line-regulations

The telcos have been given permission to abandon their copper plant with 3 months notice to home users and 6 months to business users.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not the services we have known and loved are going away in the near future.

And will that actually roll out everywhere? There's places that barely have 3G now, much less 4G. I'm sure if you ask TPTB, they say "of course it will be everywhere". Let's look at past history and be a little more realistic is all I'm saying.

Yes you seem very proud of that fact. My comment was meaning us "old folks" may still have cable but the younger generations doesn't. Same as with landlines (which I don't have, need or want).

That I can see, but only if they they bring the prices way way down from where they are now. I live in one of the first cities to offer 5G

Yes you seem very proud of that fact. My comment was meaning us "old folks" may still have cable but the younger generations doesn't. Same as with landlines (which I don't have, need or want).
LOL. Yup, younger generations don't want landlines, however, trust me, based on the issues I have reaching co-workers who over sleep, they NEED it.

That I can see, but only if they they bring the prices way way down from where they are now. I live in one of the first cities to offer 5G
Various telcos are already trialing fixed wireless services on 4G networks with reasonable pricing.

$60 a month for 170G of data, $10 for each additional 50G for a maximum monthly charge of $200.

It will be much cheaper for the telcos to abandon their copper network and replace them with fixed wireless.

The money will talk and the money will make it happen.

Sure there will be pockets of America abandoned but the service will be effectively dead if it is no longer relevant.

AT&T, Verizon and CenturyLink will sell those parts that are not profitable either remaining copper or replaced with fixed wireless to Frontier.

Poor Frontier and their customers.

The cable infrastructure will exists only to provide data services....

This is totally accurate. Cable companies are essentially a conduit for data. It doesn’t really matter if the data’s destination is a cable box or a modem. They have already begun to adapt their pricing structures to account for fewer video and more data-only customers. This pricing change will continue to evolve as their customers’ craving for more and faster data continues to grow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter