I'm struggling with a decision...

SusanD

Mouseketeer
You may have heard that Oregon is suffering from a severe budget shortfall. This has forced the schools to cut another 28 days from the school calendar this year (we have one of the shortest school years as it is).

I decided to take advantage of this negative situation by booking our family vacation at WDW earlier to miss some of the crowds, heat and additional points required for peak season. The good news is that I had just enough points for our entire stay (borrowing next year's points).

The bad news (only because of this trip) is that now the school district has managed to restore all of the days that they cut from the calendar. We are now going to miss 7 days of school and be back in time for the last two days of finals. I felt I was being very conservative by planning over two week later than the scheduled last day.

My children are both in high school and are trying to convince me that that last week of school is nothing but review and videos. I am unsure how much this will impact their grades.

We won't have enough points for a new reservation later in June, the car rental (paid for in advance through Hotwire) will have to be paid again, and the cost of the tickets has gone up even if there are no re-booking fees (due to the war).

I am frustrated and my husband is waiting to see how I am going to resolve this problem. (I pushed to make the reservations when the fares were low). I would appreciated feedback.

SusanD-

I don't have kids so I'm sorry I can't advise you except to say you should do what you feel is in the best interest of your family, and only you can make that decision.

This topic (of taking children out of school for a vacation to DVC) can get very heated on this board so beware!!!!!

Good luck!:)

In your most pleasant manner, go to the principle/teachers and explain the situation. Attempt to arrange for your children to complete any finals ahead of time. As far as planning goes, imagine being a member of the teaching staff and not knowing if you have to finish subject material a month early or not.

As far as your children saying not much happens the last week of classes, I think that's fairly accurate but I wouldn't propose that thought in my initial discussions with the teachers. I'd go with the "You surely understand how difficult it is to plan when you don't know whether the schools will be in session or not."

Once finals are over, not much else happens after that. Check to make sure your kids can have un-excused days and still move on to the next grade. In our school district a child can not have more than 7 un-excused days for each school year.

I certainly think this is different from the usual "take the kids out of school" question because a schedule change was made after the year started. I'd talk with the teachers...I'm sure you're not the only family in this situation. Tell them the trip was planned based on the schedule that the school provided...then the ball's in their court. Good luck!

I plan to speak to the teachers on Monday after spring break and see what can be done. I'll have to check about the unexcused absences as well.

So, just out of curiosity, that's how your state deals with the budget shortfall; they just shorten the school year?

I think it is really unfair of the school system to jerk you around in that manner. I would go on your vacation as planned, especially since your kids aren't upset about missing class (my oldest DS would be freaking out!) What will they remember 20 years from now, being in school or your really cool Disney vacation. Not much is done at the end of the year, our kids check out mentally afer Memorial Day and we still have 3 weeks left in June. BTW how many days is your school calendar? Ours is 184, state mandate in PA is 180.

You said they are both in HS-what year? for Juniors and Seniors there are other considerations besides reviews and videos-like college boards, ap exams atheletics and jobs-how were those going to be handled if the school year was shortened? how will missing those days impact graduation requirements attendance wise-I would definately look into those issues as well!

My DD would also "freak out". She's a Junior in HS and she has exams the last 3 days of school. Her last day of school is May 21st and we leave for Port Canaveral on 5/23 for the Western Caribbean Magic cruise.

As soon as we get back, she is doing internship for the month of June in her medical field. For her, it really never stops -- between school, internship, her job, and volunteer hours needed for graduation next year, we plan our vacation well in advance and strategically.

We don't plan for vacation for the most beneficial money-wise, but around her schooling. To us, that's more important. (Yes, I'm one of those who doesn't take her child out of school for a vacation -- "educational" or otherwise). ;)

Originally posted by FOJMO

We don't plan for vacation for the most beneficial money-wise, but around her schooling. To us, that's more important. (Yes, I'm one of those who doesn't take her child out of school for a vacation -- "educational" or otherwise). ;)

She didn't, either. The school calendar was published and then they changed it.

I find that amazing. Wow. I wonder how everyone deals with that?? Our calendars are set in stone. The only exceptions are the built-in weather days.

I agree with trying to get the finals done before you leave. It will make the vacation more fun. When you appeal to the teachers, be sure you mention that you're going to WDW. When twin dd's were in school, their teachers used to get so excited for them they would go all out to arrange for them to be gone.

I think a week is kind of a lot for high school students but since the school changed the calendar I think that they should be willing to work with you on this. Please post what they say and how you work it all out. And good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter