Il Mulino at the Swan

DH and I ate there for our 25th anniversary dinner, July 2016. We enjoyed it very much! The service was superb, the atmosphere was relaxing and the food was amazing! We want to go back again!

I don't know how to do links, but I have a couple food reports that include lots of photos. That is one of my favorites!

I ate there in 2015 and then last summer. Both times was excellent. Super relaxed meal. What I liked was the ability to get a half order of the pasta. I plan on eating here again for my spring 2019 Trip. YUM!

Il Mulino has been one of the Orlando Magical Dining restaurants the past 2 years, so I am hoping it will be again this year so I can try it during my September trip. The special menu always looks so good!

Should be rated one of the best restaurants on the property. Fun bar, great staff and of course, good food. It's a must do on every trip. Honestly, we've yet to eat in the restaurant...we always sit at a two top in the bar.....fun to people watch. The meatball appie is really good and the pasta portion size is HUGE!

Here are my more recent reviews from my dining reports:

Il Mulino

After relaxing for a bit in the room, we both set out our clothes for the next day for the races. A little before 5PM, we started walking over to the Swan for our dinner at Il Mulino. We were quickly sat at the exact same table we’ve been sat at a couple times before. We ordered some sparkling water and I got myself a glass of prosecco! This was our first “Italian” meal since returning from Italy. We knew we needed to adjust our expectations a bit since we were really spoiled during that trip.

WzTQLTo.jpg

Laid Out for 10K

sKYkEWq.jpg

Prosecco

We ordered cheese for an appetizer. Yes, that’s right - just chunks of cheese! They were wonderful bits of parmigiano reggiano too - almost as good as the ones we had during our goodbye dinner for our Tauck Tour in room. That one was better as we were literally at a restaurant on the Appian Way though. We thought that was a better option than a salad as well.

X9JjEHz.jpg

Parmigiano Reggiano

My husband went with a normal pasta dish. He was happy with their pasta and sauce. There wasn’t much left when he was done so that’s a good sign!

GAnUyR4.jpg

Penne Rigate - Penne Served w/ Original Il Mulino Marinara Sauce, Parmesan and Ricotta Cheese

I went with the daily special as I just wanted pasta with a cream sauce and this was a good option for it! I totally avoided any of the scallops in the dish and still had a decent amount of food.

Yx92i1y.jpg

Daily Special - Pasta w/ Shrimp, Scallops, Garlic Cream Sauce

We skipped dessert as I wanted ice cream.

Overall, a decent first Italian meal post Italy. I’m glad we went with that as an option over some other Italian restaurants.

Il Mulino

When we woke up for our nap, we had 30 minutes before our ADR at Il Mulino. I wasn’t worried as the restaurant was literally downstairs so it would take us no time to get ready and get there. We checked in at 4:55PM for our 5PM reservation and were seated shortly after.

As we still needed to drink more water, we ordered Pellegrino to drink and began looking over the menu.

My husband went with the minestrone soup. He had really enjoyed the minestrone he had while we were in Hawaii and was equally happy with this one. It also gave him something different than a salad in his diet!

J39SDIS.jpg

Minestrone - Vegetable Soup w/ Orecchiette

I was the one that ordered the Caesar Salad! Not my husband! I know you are all shocked! It was a great classic caesar with a nice dressing to it. I cleaned my plate!

mgIdREb.jpg

Insalate Caesar - Classic Il Mulino Caesar

My husband wanted to have his carb heavy meal this night. Based on his research on carb loading theory - it is actually better to carb load 2 days or more beforehand rather than the night before. He ordered the penne for this reason. He loved it! The sauce wasn’t too rich but there was a nice amount of cheese in the dish itself. The plate was cleaned before I was even halfway done with my entree!

Fd4GYDK.jpg

Penne Rigate - Penne served with Original Il Mulino Marinara Sauce, Parmesan and Ricotta Cheese

I went with the shrimp as I love shrimp and I wasn’t really feeling like pasta or pizza centric dish this evening. I figured the shrimp would be served with a side of pasta but I was wrong so I just ate the shrimp. I was happy to see that their jumbo shrimp were indeed jumbo as by the end of the 4th - I was more than full! The white wine lemon sauce had a great nuance to it that worked well with the shrimp.

fd6IOcu.jpg

Gamberi Francese - Jumbo Shrimp Egg Battered and Sauteed Served with White Wine Lemon Sauce

My husband and I downed two bottles of pellegrino so we were properly hydrated! We were both too full to get dessert so we paid our bill. Back at the room (even though it was all of 6PM), we laid out our outfits for the morning for the races the next day. We watched the latest episode of American Horror Story off the FX On Demand website and bunkered down for the night. I was out by 8:15PM as I knew 3AM would come soon!

vFPFOvf.jpg

Flat Dis_Yoda for Wine & Dine 10K!

We ate there in 2015 and while I’m pretty sure the food must have been good I absolutely did not like the atmosphere. We were a large party (8) and we were stuffed in the corner where the servers kept coming for silverware. Our server just didn’t seem interested in us. It could have been me a little too because I don’t like the sight of the Swan and Dolphin. I would prefer to go to a more themed Disney Italian restaurant even if there’s better food out there.

Overall, Il Mulino has the best Italian on property. One of the facets we most like about it is the ability to get small plates of their pasta dishes. Further, the wine list is solid. If we do Italian while there, it's usually at Il Mulino. Now, if you want an even better experience, head over to Universal and eat at BiCE at the Portofino Hotel. But, staying on property, then Il Mulino is very good.

Absolutely love it. The mushroom risotto and the rigatoni with mushrooms and truffle oil are outstanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter