If you've done Greece and Scandinavia which cruise do you prefer?

I've gotten so much good information that I've actually started writing down notes. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

We have been to both Italy and Greece on land tours/vacations and both were spectacular. I, personally, would never do the Med on a cruise. The ports are quite far from the towns/cities you will most likely want to visit and those areas are very, very hot in the summer. We have done 3 DCL cruises - 1 Norway cruise, 1 Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise and 1 Denmark/Germany/Sweden/Norway/England cruise - they were spectacular and the weather was fantastic in the summer. Not hot, not terribly rainy and we docked right in town/cities where we wanted to tour (or had a short bus ride at one port to get to Jelling in Denmark). We also just did a Rhine Cruise with Adventures by Disney/Amawaterways this past August and that was spectacular. Are you sold on doing DCL or are you open to other cruise lines?

Definitely open to other cruise lines. In addition to DCL we've done Princess, Norwegian, and Viking (Rhine River, like yours).

I've also considered Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel). We've done a couple tours with them and appreciate (most of the time) that they make us get up and get going, no chance of slacking off and sleeping in. Also many exceptional lectures.

We’ve done Princess for Alaska and British Isles (different combinations of family members). My sister and I did a Southern Caribbean last year - after which, she stated she didn’t need Disney for port intensive cruises in the future. Hence, this year, she sailed Cunard in Alaska.

I don’t think you are going to see cruise prices, as a whole, go down to those reasonable ones we used to see. (But definitely keep looking! No one would have expected the DCL Europe discounts a few years ago).

And the Baltic states, near Russia, aren’t happening until Ukraine is settled. Sort of like the Eastern Med and the Suez Canal area are on hold.

I also look at $$$ when picking cruises! Not just the cruise fare, but also flights and pre-cruise hotel and land transportation. And, like Alaska - port excursions.

If I could find a Norway fjords cruise that starts in Copenhagen, it would be top of the list. I was going to start a cruise there, but it got cancelled. The city offers history, charm, reasonably priced hotels. Plus Tivoli Gardens - the inspiration for Disneyland, but so different. (You don’t pay a big admission fee!)

…Found one. Actually, a lot. Muktiple cruise lines. I just stopped looking with the first, earliest one in May. These are prices pp (tax included). Some Americans dislike MSC. I am comfortable with them, especially for the price. You could stay in a suite (more benefits than Disney’s Concierge) for about half the price of Disney’s lower-level cabins (a month earlier.).

I just watched a favorite YouTuber, Emma cruises, review her experience on this ship. It is new as of last year. My Disney Platinum status got me MSC’s top tier level.

View attachment 904936

I use Vacations To Go to find ships and itineraries.

I hope you pick something! Often, there is no single right choice - and you may enjoy it so much that you do the other or a different vacation later.

Don’t forget river cruises!

Thanks for the info about MSC. I'm not familiar with them.

You're right, I have to keep in mind that's there isn't just one answer. I know I would love either one. Part of me is wondering if this might be our last trip to Europe. I just hit a zero birthday and my husband is 8 years older so he's staring down an ever bigger zero birthday. We loved our Viking river cruise and I've looked at their itineraries but most are 15 days. Wonderful for me, less appealing to my husband or our dog.

@DCLMP - Japan would be an adventure, too, though. My non-cruise vacations in New Zealand and China and various other places are great memories of a lifetime. Actually, I was on a boat for Fiordland and Li River adventures. (Mentioning them helps me reminisce - maybe someone else will pipe in with their adventures ☺️. I can’t imagine others here haven’t traveled without a cruise ship.)

Sometimes we need to remind our fellow Disney cruisers to look outside the box. We are not the only two who do, but it is a touchy subject among a dedicated Disney audience.

It was a Super-Disney cruiser who got me to do my first other cruise-line. (She hit 100 DCL cruises several years ago. Mixing things up didn’t mean she didn’t still sail with the Mouse. It just meant more options - and lower prices).

I miss shopping for my own cruises, too. When someone asks for suggestions, I love seeing what’s available. Planning for me is nearly half the fun (that’s what my Mother said to me - she’s right). I think 25% is the actual vacation and 25% is remembering it (and that can go on until your memory goes. I remember details and can picture many places I have been. Maybe it is actually 25% planning and 50% remembering. But Alzheimer’s hasn’t set in yet.) I wish the same for all adventurers (not the Alzheimer’s - the memories and fun).

I can't image 100 DCL cruises -- but I'd love to try to match that. (Have to get to 5 first :) ) Likewise when I see cruises for 50+ days I always wonder about the passengers. Must be very interesting dinner table conversations.

I absolutely agree about the planning. I've told my husband not to surprise me at breakfast one morning telling me to get packed for Disney, because planning/thinking ahead is such a big part of it. And, no, there is absolutely positively no way he would ever think to surprise me with a Disney trip.

this is very port dependent. we went on the N Europe cruise in 2023 with the intent of going to LEGO house in Billund one day. Well, it turns out, we weren't in that port long enough to make the trip... we ended up staying on the ship that day. Kiel wasn't super interesting. Stockholm and Oslo were cool, but that was it. Our ports on our Med cruise were so much easier and better.

I've just finished The Year of Living Danishly. Certainly makes me curious to spend some time in Denmark.

You're right about ports. So hit or miss about excursions, time in port, and whether the port itself has anything interesting to offer.

I've gotten so much good information that I've actually started writing down notes. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Definitely open to other cruise lines. In addition to DCL we've done Princess, Norwegian, and Viking (Rhine River, like yours).

I've also considered Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel). We've done a couple tours with them and appreciate (most of the time) that they make us get up and get going, no chance of slacking off and sleeping in. Also many exceptional lectures.

You're right, I have to keep in mind that's there isn't just one answer. I know I would love either one. Part of me is wondering if this might be our last trip to Europe. I just hit a zero birthday and my husband is 8 years older so he's staring down an ever bigger zero birthday. We loved our Viking river cruise and I've looked at their itineraries but most are 15 days. Wonderful for me, less appealing to my husband or our dog.

We enjoyed Celebrity - it was a a little quieter than DCL. If you wanted to consider another river cruise we did ABD which charters through Amawaterways - Ama was incredible and I wouldn't hesitate booking directly with them in the future. Their cruises are typically 7 nights long with optional pre-, post-cruise add-ons.

You are a much more widely traveled citizen than I expected from your initial post!

Disney does offer an excellent product in its original itineraries, 3- and 4- night Bahamas and Eastern and Western Caribbean. And Alaska is nice for all cruise lines.

But they think too highly of themselves when it comes to port intensive itineraries - asking too high of prices. They are really nice for a relaxing cruise vacation.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a cruise over my 65th birthday in a few years. But I’d like it to be a break from normal. Maybe Norwegian Fjords or British Isles.

The MSC out of Copenhagen would certainly do well, if something similar is offered. With an early June date, it should be okay to beat the crowds.

And I found a Fred. Olsen itinerary that covered a bunch of outlier islands with ancient rock formations off the NW and NE coasts of Scotland. Hebrides, Orkney, Shetland Islands, principally. I am not sure it had any big cities.

It is the six-eight hours of flying - typically at night - that gives me pause!

Otherwise, we have a Destiny 5-night 2Cay booked during the low season just two weeks early. We treat birthdays with “Birthday Month,” or Half-Birthdays for December people, so not on the day works for me - especially if the ship is less crowded and fares are better priced.

If you come up with something fun, I’d love to hear.

Too bad we didn’t just give you a definite direction, but there’s just so much out there (and not much we’ll covered by DCL).

Last edited:

You may even consider Virgin Voyages if it's just adults. They have some great itineraries out of Athens (so you don't have to deal with Civitavecchia)...

I have done both on DCL and on other lines.. Here are my comments:
1. Couldn't pay me to do any type of southern Med sailing espeically Greece or Turkey in July or August ( even beginning of Sept). It is simply too hot. Acropolis is known to shut down in summer due to heat risks. If you are older or not so fit, being up there in August ina heat wave is asking for trouble. Santorini is overfilled. Do Greece etc.. best in April May or October November. Some med ports are a while a way not near port but some are easy.. ( most greece )

2. Northern sailings is weather risk but summer is the best time. these ports have less infrastructure as Med.. as in you wont see 100s of taxies waiting or tour guides trying to get your business. These you need to plan more.. either a ship excursion or do your research EARLY on car rentals... and book as supply is limited.

Scan. is more nature driven and Med more site and food driven.
Scan is less crowded, MED can be a overcrowded.

Both are great but if you pick the wrong time of year depending on which it can be hell.

You may even consider Virgin Voyages if it's just adults. They have some great itineraries out of Athens (so you don't have to deal with Civitavecchia)...
Agree! we did this last year but word has spread and prices have significantly increased... to last year.. One of the best sailings we ever did, ship and itinerary and weather wise... We went early May where Athens was a glorious 25 degrees when we got back a week later it was above 30 and we were so glad we didnt do it later in the season.

My head is spinning, and not necessarily in a bad way, just trying to piece together all of the helpful tips. I don't think I fully considered weather --one could be hot, one could be cold -- and possibility of LOTS of walking.

It was also sobering to write that this might be our last trip across the pond. Made me go back to square one and wonder where in Europe I would go if I knew for sure this would be the last time. Our preschool grandsons live 2000 miles from us so trips to see them as always and adventure, but not quite in the same way.

I love my yearly solo trips to Disney World and am thankful at least that is very easy to plan and execute.

My head is spinning, and not necessarily in a bad way, just trying to piece together all of the helpful tips. I don't think I fully considered weather --one could be hot, one could be cold -- and possibility of LOTS of walking.

It was also sobering to write that this might be our last trip across the pond. Made me go back to square one and wonder where in Europe I would go if I knew for sure this would be the last time. Our preschool grandsons live 2000 miles from us so trips to see them as always and adventure, but not quite in the same way.

I love my yearly solo trips to Disney World and am thankful at least that is very easy to plan and execute.
I don't know your situation, age or finances or how much time you are willing to spend in a trip. but if I had the TIME and MONEY to do Europe. I would plan spring or Sept Oct for a month or so... Look at oneway sailings if you are leaning to cruising. This takes you out of the Disney bubble.. some ports are easier than others.. Again this is a money issue, with endless funds one can hire private drivers everywhere. but some are easy on the elderly- some ports and cities are easy for older less mobile types. I travel with my mom who is older, cannot walk far and needs a bench break very often... with one way sailings you can basically do an entire loop in europe, Baltic seas to North Sea, acrosss the channel, down the bay of Biscay and from there east on the med down to Turkey... With breaks in between for land stays

I'm confused by the multiple comments saying the ports are far from the attractions on a Greek cruise. Most of the major cities are awfully close to the port. The Athens's cruise port is right at the city. The main attraction in Mykonos is a 15 minute shuttle ride. Sure, Oia is a bit more of a drive, but you are seeing the island to get there, so it's all part of the destination in my opinion. It's not like the island is huge. Obviously there are many other port options, but these are three of the big ones and I don't think of them as ports that are far from the attractions. Of all the places to visit in the world, the Greek isles are ripe for cruising, since it would be much more time consuming and exhausting to move between the islands on your own.

There are shorter Viking Med cruises (7-10 days) that are in the shoulder season...DH and I went on one last year almost exactly a year ago and we loved it so much we have the same one scheduled for May, 2026. We have the same issues with older dogs (three, to be exact) so I know how important the balance between wanderlust and being with the kiddos is. Enjoy the planning and dreaming-that's half the fun for me 💕

I'm confused by the multiple comments saying the ports are far from the attractions on a Greek cruise. Most of the major cities are awfully close to the port. The Athens's cruise port is right at the city. The main attraction in Mykonos is a 15 minute shuttle ride. Sure, Oia is a bit more of a drive, but you are seeing the island to get there, so it's all part of the destination in my opinion. It's not like the island is huge. Obviously there are many other port options, but these are three of the big ones and I don't think of them as ports that are far from the attractions. Of all the places to visit in the world, the Greek isles are ripe for cruising, since it would be much more time consuming and exhausting to move between the islands on your own.

I have island hopped in Greece without taking a cruise - it is neither time consuming nor exhausting. The ferries in Greece are absolutely lovely and flying to the islands is quite quick as well. It just comes down to how much time you actually want to spend on mainland Greece or on each island. If it's only part of a day, then a cruise is definitely convenient. In my past comment, when referring to Med cruises, I probably should have more specifically mentioned the distance between the ports and areas of interest in Italy. Docking in Citevecchia and Livorno is not terribly convenient. I found the ports in Scandinavia and Northern Europe to be much better located in most cases (don't really want to go to Kiel ever again!).

I have island hopped in Greece without taking a cruise - it is neither time consuming nor exhausting. The ferries in Greece are absolutely lovely and flying to the islands is quite quick as well. It just comes down to how much time you actually want to spend on mainland Greece or on each island. If it's only part of a day, then a cruise is definitely convenient. In my past comment, when referring to Med cruises, I probably should have more specifically mentioned the distance between the ports and areas of interest in Italy. Docking in Citevecchia and Livorno is not terribly convenient. I found the ports in Scandinavia and Northern Europe to be much better located in most cases (don't really want to go to Kiel ever again!).

But with a cruise you are traveling while you sleep. I assume most ferry rides are taking a good chunk of each day by the time you arrive early, board, and sail for a couple of houre, right? If so, with limited vacation time, it seems like you could see a lot more in a shorter period of time by cruising. A new island each morning. But sure, for some spending more time on each island might be a priority. While I really liked the Greek isles, I don't really have an interest in spending multiple days at any of the stops we made, other than Athens maybe. So a cruise was just right. The Amalfi coast and Siccelly on the hand, are both stops that I want to go back to for much longer.

As for exhaustion, I wouldn't mind it for myself, but I am the planner in the family, and sort of make sure all four of us are in the right place at the right time. So it's more of a mental exhaustion for me. Catching ferries, moving hotels for each new place, packing and unpacking, getting from and to the ferry terminals, would be a lot different than hopping on and off a ship where you can leave all your stuff behind. It's just much more relaxing for me, while still seeing some really cool places. I still think it's an ideal way to see the islands if you aren't set on multiple days on each. It would have been physically impossible to see everything we did in a nine day cruise and still sleep.

I agree on Rome as a port. We sailed to and from there, making it possible to spend multiple days. It was ideal in my opinion.

Last edited:
Are you wedded to DCL? There are other cruise lines that do better itineraries to both places. When traveling without kids and grandkids we prefer smaller and more adult ships.

Probably the most grueling cruise we ever took was DCL to Greece in July. Hot and stifling beyond belief. Crowded beyond belief. And In two ports, the worst guides we've ever had on excursions. For the rest of the Med, as mentioned, the ports are a long way from the sites you are going to see. Long stinky bus rides. They are better as land trips. Again, though, smaller ships can get you into smaller, less crowded ports.

We loved our two week Norwegian cruise on Holland American even though it was a larger ship.

We also loved our first river cruise on Tauck on the Danube. Doing another "Christmas Markets" River Cruise in December on the Rhine. You dock right in the heart of town.

Some of the best trips we have taken are with university alumni groups. Alumni groups of most larger universities use travel agencies that specialize in group travel. You automatically have a group that you have something in common with (yea, team!) and often have a representative from the U traveling with the group as well as a guide. Your husband might like that aspect.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest