If you are watching the coronation, are you team Camellia

Oh we have some drama today. Our 6th in line is participating in a tv show (part time royal, part time influencer). It's a show about photography and competiting against other celebrities to take 'the perfect picture'.

For one assignment she had to be photographed herself in a bathing suit. Which she did. She had a black one piece suit on (a little bit low cut, but nothing shocking), and now some people say 'oh my goodness, can she do that? She is a member of the royal family!'

So, that was the drama of the week in the Kingdom of the Netherlands 🤣

Back over to you, UK!
I wish we heard more from your family! They seem so down to earth and entertaining!

^ Diana did not always enjoy “living a life in the spotlight”. By nature she was shy and introverted, but she happened to marry a prince, and resultantly became an iconic, beloved public figure who could not avoid the spotlight. Battles with tabloid reporters, most of whom were men who found her alluring, started when they discovered she was dating the prince, and never ended for her, up until the moment of her death. She did learn to cope with what became both a blessing and a curse, as she became more comfortable in the spotlight, and she even sometimes used them to her advantage. During their marriage, then-Prince Charles became jealous of her popularity in the press. She was the most photographed woman the world had ever seen. At her funeral, highlighting the origins of her name, which stands for “huntress”, her brother said she was the most “hunted“ woman in the world.

Interesting article about Charles and Diana’s marriage
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/09/princess-diana-prince-charles-early-marriage

^ Diana did not always enjoy “living a life in the spotlight”. By nature she was shy and introverted, but she happened to marry a prince, and resultantly became an iconic, beloved public figure who could not avoid the spotlight. Battles with tabloid reporters, most of whom were men who found her alluring, started when they discovered she was dating the prince, and never ended for her, up until the moment of her death. She did learn to cope with what became both a blessing and a curse, as she became more comfortable in the spotlight, and she even sometimes used them to her advantage. During their marriage, then-Prince Charles became jealous of her popularity in the press. She was the most photographed woman the world had ever seen. At her funeral, highlighting the origins of her name, which stands for “huntress”, her brother said she was the most “hunted“ woman in the world.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/09/princess-diana-prince-charles-early-marriage
Oh @Pea-n-Me you really have got a soft spot for Diana haven’t you. We may have to make you an honorary Brit. 🤗

On the other hand, we have returned Miss Markle as a consolation prize. 😉

We all get it. You are 100% team Diana and she can do no wrong.

No matter how flat you make a pancake there are two sides. I don't think she had an easy life by any means, but I find it interesting how devoted you are to her.

Have you been watching Queen Charlotte, the Bridgerton sequel?
Lots and lots of liberties taken with that one. Other than the location and names...not sure if anything else is accurate.

Lots and lots of liberties taken with that one. Other than the location and names...not sure if anything else is accurate.
And of course King George III was unwell, and his Prime Minister, Lord North, very weak. Some of our colonies were a little troublesome at the time and history may have been different if he was stronger.😉

Some beautiful settings and many of the grand houses used are open to the public.

(Adjoa Andoh), older Lady Danbury has, I think inadvertently, caused a bit of a stir by a careless comment about the ‘whiteness’ of the balcony gathering after the coronation.

The actress who plays the young Lady Danbury, Arséma Thomas, brilliantly captures older Lady Danbury’s gestures and expressions.

I much prefer Bridgerton to The Crown, as at least it doesn’t pretend to be factually accurate.

Last edited:
Awwww, look at George!

70922223-12078181-image-m-15_1683918052630.jpg

And of course King George III was unwell, and his Prime Minister, Lord North, very weak. Some of our colonies were a little troublesome at the time and history may have been different if he was stronger.😉

Some beautiful settings and many of the grand houses used are open to the public.

(Adjoa Andoh), older Lady Danbury has, I think inadvertently, caused a bit of a stir by a careless comment about the ‘whiteness’ of the balcony gathering after the coronation.

The actress who plays the young Lady Danbury, Arséma Thomas, brilliantly captures older Lady Danbury’s gestures and expressions.

I much prefer Bridgerton to The Crown, as at least it doesn’t pretend to be factually accurate.
The remark was quite unfortunate.

The remark was quite unfortunate.
Bound to make some fragile people very defensive..

Last edited:
Gosh! I've never been called fragile before!
Colour me confused.

ford family
so a statement that an actor made about people (none of whom I assume are in your immediate circle of friends and family) makes you defensive? Did you have control over the balcony scene?
was it a 'wise or smart' statement that she (Adjoa) made? Nope.... Did she apologize already? yup, So why does that statement that she made make YOU feel defensive?

so a statement that an actor made about people (none of whom I assume are in your immediate circle of friends and family) makes you defensive? Did you have control over the balcony scene?
was it a 'wise or smart' statement that she (Adjoa) made nope.... did she apologize yup, So why does that statement that she made make YOU feel defensive?
Because it was my King, my Queen and my Royal Family that she was disparaging.

ford family

Because it was my King, my Queen and my Royal Family that she was disparaging.

ford family
was it untrue? What she said? I agree, she did not express the lack of diversity represented on the balcony in a delicate way.... Being an American I assumed "terribly" is used a lot like "wicked" here in the North East USA.
But if that makes you personally feel defensive than you feel defensive.

was it a 'wise or smart' statement that she (Adjoa) made? Nope.... Did she apologize already? yup, So why does that statement that she made make YOU feel defensive?
It’s the two meanings of ‘terribly’ in British English that caused the issue. I suggest that Adjoa meant ‘extremely’ rather than the alternative ‘unpleasantly or badly’. She is an educated, articulate lady and I think she used the phrase to emphasise, a compare and contrast statement of what struck her in that moment, rather than to slight. Careless but personally I am not offended.

I recognise that if Huw Edwards had referred to a ‘terribly black balcony’ (meaning extremely) there would have been a general outcry, but that’s a product, our comeuppance, I suppose, for the racism faced by people of colour in the recent past. Maybe he could have said a ‘terribly English balcony’, while glaring at the Prince and Princess of Wales.😂

I am not quite sure why Adjoa was unprepared for the sight, perhaps she was subconsciously in character as Lady Danbury?

After the diversity of the ceremony itself, it will be a pity if this is peoples’ lasting memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter