Ideas for a no park day?

mommy2paisley

DIS Veteran
We will be in Orlando for 6 days, plus our arrival evening. We will go to Disney Springs on our arrival evening. For 4 of those days we have park tickets. The 5th day we will swim and go to Chef Mickey’s to celebrate my three kiddos’ birthdays.

But we need something to do on our sixth day. Any ideas? We looked at the Typhoon Lagoon H2O party or thought about Topolino’s for breakfast and Storybook Dining with Snow White for dinner. Just wondering what other options there might be? Preferably within Disney.

On our longer trips, a no park day could be:

mini golf
bowling at DS
visit one of the water parks; we could float thru them for ages. Very relaxing and the various water rides are a lot of fun too. No need to pay for a party; unless something has changed for the better the food at the water parks is nothing special. We would stop at DS on the bus ride back and eat there instead.

Depending on how interactive the hotel pool is could always stand another day. Poly and Stormalong Bay hotels are definitely worth another day of pool fun.
Check the resort’s kids itinerary; pretty sure you can see them online now.

Foot Golf at Oak Trail Golf Course is lots of fun, our whole family loves it. They don't do it every day but worth checking if it's on that day. Also we like the horseback trail rides and archery at Fort Wilderness.

Do some hotel hopping.

If you are onsite, take the bus to the Magic Kingdom and visit all 3 Monorail Resorts.

Take the bus to Hollywood Studios and visit the Skyliner Resorts.

Go on a DVC tour at Saratoga Springs.

Have breakfast or dinner at Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge, or at Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge.

You can spend an entire day hotel hoping.

Unless you're on the 4 park discount ticket, I would price out the 5th day.

If that's not an option, bowling and a movie at Disney Springs. Mini-Golf. A water park.

Unless you're on the 4 park discount ticket, I would price out the 5th day.

If that's not an option, bowling and a movie at Disney Springs. Mini-Golf. A water park.
We are on the 4-park ticket! It’s what made us able to go this year! We never do just 4 days! Lol 6-8 is our preference, but we did that last year for a bigger vacation!

We love to explore the AKL, beautiful lobby and they have activities each day both free and for pay. My dd's did the pencil rubbing and still talk about this as well as collecting beads for animal activiites. There is also a nice playground and of course lots of places to see the animals. You can participate in everything except pool access.

Not sure where you're staying but AOA /Pop is fund for the huge Disney icons, and they have a decent arcade at each.

Hoop De Doo is a favorite of ours, corny but very fun dinner show.

How old are the kids - I see 9 and 4 but also a Vaca in 2016 and you mention 3 kids - so I am not sure if that's up to date?

Older kids may prefer more Disney springs time for bowling, movies, shopping etc. as mentioned above.

We Loved the H20 Party at Typhoon lagoon, lots of fun with the extra food, music and entertainment.

Enjoy

One of my favorite non-park days is to see how creative I can be planning as many modes of transportation as possible -- skyliner, monorail, boats (resort launches, not renting a boat), ferry, even buses, and feet. I always love the walk from Grand Floridian (doesn't matter how you get there) to the Magic Kingdom. Part of the planning can be to figure out where to eat along the adventure -- I recommend flatbreads at Contempo Cafe in the Contemporary.

It's a leisurely way to soak in Disney and feel very much a part of it.

We will be in a very similar position when we go in January.

Some of the ideas we came up with were....

-Visiting AoA or All Star Movies for photos with the little man
-We plan on trying to get a Chef Mickeys reservation.
-Tri Circle D Ranch to see the horse stable/horses. This includes a boat ride from MK.
-Trying to see the animals at AKL
-Trying one of the hotel provided FREE scavenger hunts.
-The playgrounds at the resort.
-The nighttime drone show at Disney Springs should be happening by then.
-Ride the Skyliner (if not down for refurb). Never been to the Riviera
-Sharing a treat at all 3 monorail resorts. Requires riding the monorail.
-Visiting a monorail resort to watch the fireworks at night.
-Movie under the stars provided by the resort.

Were taking the weekend off from the parks so hopefully will do a few of these activities. Regardless, these are recharge days and well go with the flow.

We will be in Orlando for 6 days, plus our arrival evening. We will go to Disney Springs on our arrival evening. For 4 of those days we have park tickets. The 5th day we will swim and go to Chef Mickey’s to celebrate my three kiddos’ birthdays.

But we need something to do on our sixth day. Any ideas? We looked at the Typhoon Lagoon H2O party or thought about Topolino’s for breakfast and Storybook Dining with Snow White for dinner. Just wondering what other options there might be? Preferably within Disney.
Could your schedule be rearranged so that your 2 free days aren’t back to back?
That way, y’all could have 2 swimming/resort/fun days. :)

Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and watch the animals! There aparviewing platforms around the resort and there are several balconies that you can sit on on the 3rd or 4th floor near the lobby.

Another thing we like to do on a no park day is to ride ALL the transportation. Take the skyliner, the friendship boats near the Epcot resorts, The ferry across the lake to the TTC, the monorail from MK to Epcot, the resort monorail loop, the smaller boats to the campground, etc.

We don't tend to do very many entire non park onsite days, except arrival/departure days. One thing we'd do with a non-park day is to rest, so we could tour harder on our park days. We'd probably take time for some table service meals, and especially take time to visit Disney Springs, and ride around via the shuttle boats/Skyliner.

Our non-park days tend to be offsite (split stays) with a car. I usually find that all told, renting a car saves us money. Having a car means we can eat a meal or two offsite, so better food for less $ than eating onsite. It is possible to rent a car for just a day, but the price is often the same for a full week.

A REALLY great option that opens up when you have a car is to drive to a FL or national state park. There are tons of options, and they are practically free to visit. FL is home to many natural springs, wetlands, beaches, historic sites, etc.

If you have never ventured to St Augustine, it is a place everyone should visit. The fort is amazing. Clearwater beach is also doable as a day trip. Even better are the beaches of Honeymoon Island. There you can see all sorts of wildlife and find tons of shells. The Gulf coast beaches are all very calm. The Atlantic beaches have bigger waves.

Closer to WDW, is a day trip up through Ocala NP and Silver Springs State Park. The glass bottom boats tour is a ton of fun, and really unique. You can also rent a kayak if you want a close up view of the wildlife.

If you have never seen the Everglades/Big Cypress that is another must-do, IMO. You can tour much of the Everglades NP area by car. Closer to WDW are other options to take an airboat tour, and see a small northern part of the Everglades if you don't want to drive very far.

Very close to WDW is Celebration and the outlet malls. Celebration is just a pretty town, but it has some nice places to eat. You could also easily visit Citywalk at Universal.

The few times we have done that is basically wake up later and then relax, take our time and go to Disney springs

My daughter is still talking about the pony ride she got to do at Tri-Circle D Ranch. We bussed to Magic Kingdom and then took the boat over the the Fort to get there, then we took the bus to Wilderness Lodge and got lunch there. It was a really fun day.

Agree with a movie at DS then lunch (or vice versa). It was hot so escaping a few hours and watching Barbie plus lunch at Raglan Road was nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter