ID for children on flights?

Krisj

Mouseketeer
We are flying next week and have 5 kids ages 10 and under. I know we need a picture ID, but do they ask you for your kids' id? Birth certificate? Do I need to worry about that at all?
Also, I have 23 mos old. SHould I check his carseat? Rent one when we get there? Or bring it on the plane. Remember now it isn't an infant car seat. He is a big 23 mos old. Also, with 5 kids and just 2 parents do I need to be dealing with that?

I wouldn't worry about ID for the kids but if you feel better about it bring copies of their birthcertificates.

I don't think that they ask for ID, but we actaully got our 3 (almost 4) year old a passport. I was one of the people at WDW during 9/11 and I just feel safer having ID for her. We also have an 11 month old and we are going to bring a copy of her birth certificate with us.

My daughter also has a passport. We got it last year when we took a cruise. But when we flew to WDW a few weeks ago, no one asked to see her ID at either Philly or Orlando airport.

As for the car seat, if your child is large enough to be safely seated on the plane without one (you might want to call the airline for their opinion on that), then I advise checking it as luggage. That way you know you'll have the right type of seat when you get there. I wouldn't depend on what the car rental company has to offer, plus you'll save the cost of renting one. You may want to reconsider taking it on the plane, though. A 23-month old probably isn't nearly big enough to be properly secured by the lap belt. A little turbulence and he could easily be injured.

As for dealing with the carseat, you can certainly board first when they call for guests needing special assistance. That way you get on before the plane fills up. What we used to do was I would get on early with the car seat and secure it in place. Then my wife and daughter came on when our row got called and the seat was all ready to go.

Steve

Last Dec, we flew Southwest Airlines and I had the kids birth certificates with us, just in case. The ticket agent did not ask to see the birth certificates, just DH & I drivers license. When we went through security, they did ask to see the birth certificates. They even talked with my 6 yr old and asked what her name was and when was her birthday. On the return flight from Orlando, we didn't get asked to see the birth certificates - just the drivers license again. I would make copies and bring with you, just in case.

As for the car seat, I wouldn't bother with it on the plane. You'll have your hands full, and your 23 month old may sit better when he's sitting just like the other kids.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I am traveling with my three children and my husband is not going. It was recommended to me to get a letter signed by him stating I legally am able to take the kids out of the country. It seems like a little bit of over kill but the last thing I want is to have problens of any kind. I guess its better to have too much paper work than not enough.

reeanne
Devlin Ont

leaving friday morning 7am central time

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We flew to WDW last month with our 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old children. No one asked for ID or birth certificates for them (which is good, because I didn't bring their birth certificates). Maybe you could check with your airline and see what they say?

have you bought a seat for the 23month old? If not, then check the car seat, if you have then you could bring it onboard. Our large one sat quite well in the stroller, so we wheeled it down to the gate (of course, that meant my dd had to walk, but she was ok with that)

Bev

I have three children, and we fly four to five times a year. Airlines rarely ask for birth certificates, however, they have the right to ask, and the right to refuse passage without it. If you are traveling without the other parent they are more likely to ask. If you have not purchased a seat for the 23 mth old THEY WILL ASK! They can force you to purchase a ticket without proof of age. I cannot remember a time when they didn't ask in such an instance even if the child is obviously under two.

Carseats are much safer to bring on the plane, but it almost impossible for the child not to kick the seat in front of them because of feet position. Also the tray doesnt go down if there are arms on the car seat!

Thanks for the info. We did purchase a seat for our 23 mos old. I think I may check the car seat though along with the stroller. As for ID, my dh could only find 2 of the 5 birth certificates. I am not sure I ever received the one for my 4th child. We have to send away to receive the copy. He does have their SS cards though. I wonder if that would count? We are all travelling. I would hope they figure we are who we are, a family going on vacation.
The airline was of no help. We are flying Delta and the lady at first said don't worry about it and then she said we might want to bring the birth certificates.

Hi there,
I agree to checking the car seat with the luggage. You
can lift the arm rest on the airplane and maybe the little
one will rest his/her head on your lap for a nap. My now 3 yr
old has been "conditioned" to do this. :)
As for that stroller, I would "gate check" it. You take it
right to the gate and down the jetway and when you get
to Orlando they bring it into the jetway for you. You need
to tell them at the gate that you want to "gate check" the
stroller. I don't think I would want to chase my almost 2
year old around the airport, or worse yet, carry, him/her.
Enjoy your trip!
Patty in TX

On a recent trip to Las Vegas (for business), I asked the ticket agent if our children would need ID, she said as long as they are traveling with their parents (who do need ID) they are fine, no ID required. Hope this helps. :earsboy:

I spoke to our local driver license station in Iowa and found out I could get my kids photo ID cards for $5 each by presenting a certified copy of their birth certificate and their SS card.

They were so excited to get their picture taken today and now we have valid state issued ID.

I am 10 years old.

We have flown about 8 times since 9-11 and I never had to show ID. Only my mom and dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter