I need some honest help with finding a job now...

I was doing a quick search looking for local places you could walk into to find in person advice from people who advise job-seekers for a living (which I didn't quickly find btw) and found...

The Orlando public library system has piles and piles of single session courses on a wide variety of topics (most are computer based).

I get that you don't really want to go back to school. But, a 1hr session on a specific feature in Excel couldn't be that bad, could it? Worst case scenario you don't actually learn the feature and decide to retake the same single session course the following week (repeat until you feel confident).

What I'm thinking is that these courses are FREE ($5 charge if you register and then do NOT show up). So, you could take one per week while looking for a job. Then, you'd have something to talk about in an interview that shows you are serious about building skills and presents you as taking initiative.

If, it ends up taking you awhile to find work you'd then also be able to put the courses you'd completed (and felt confident about) on your resume for future applications.

I saw your post from that main page when you click on The DIS Discussion Forums, and wanted to try to help!

I think you're making resumes/applications too complicated. I will admit that I don't have huge amounts of recent experience in this, but DH has had to fill out a cursory application, along with his resumes, for a few years now, so he's done it many times. And since he has less than 2 years of college and DOES include it, I'm not sure you *have to* omit it. But you also do NOT have to include the classes you took! DH was taking all the early classes, before figuring out a major...sounds like you did actually more than that. But still, no need to include your classes; and hubby has never been asked what classes he took.

Most large businesses will only confirm dates of employment, pay, position/title, and if the termination was voluntary or involuntary.

You are overthinking the resume thing...KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Game Stop - November 2002-March 2003 - Sales Rep
Home Depot - May 2003-December 2003 - Sales Associate
Walt Diseny World - April 2004-September 2004 - Photopass

Thats all you have to do, mention the name of the employer, the dates worked, and the position you had. Dont bother with names and telephone numbers, it wont help you at all. Even if your new employer were to contact your old boss at Disney, your old boss would only direct them to the HR department to confirm your dates.....

Organize by dates worked, most recent to oldest. Get this done tonight, print it off, get up early tomorrow morning, and hit the pavement!

Everything OM said, exactly positively absolutely! Simple simple simple. The interview is the time to get in depth, or at least more in depth than you were in the app/resume.

I just really need to figure out how to fill out my previous employment section, because that seems to be the only thing wrong. It would be great to put a little asterick and say "yeah, I've had problems in the past, but I've learned from my mistakes". You don't get any of those opprotunities to do that until an interview. It seems very few stores where managers that work out on the floor are the same ones that do the hiring, so you don't even get to talk to the person that accepts your application.
When I was standing on the other side (it happened a lot at Gamestop), it was kind of funny how people tried to impress me when they turned in an app. I knew we weren't hiring, and wouldn't be for a long time. On top of that, I had no decision making power in who's app was actually reviewed. I just always picture the person I'm handing my app to, as no one that has any saying in the HR area and all my effort is for nothing.

Think of the people you're handing apps to as being the owner's niece. :) You should always act as though the person who is taking the papers as being important, even though it wasn't your experience. Maybe the owner is watching on the security cameras, ya know?

NO need for asterices, and no need for anything open enough to need asterices on the application.

I do remember that applications asked for reason for leaving...but you don't have to be brutally honest in that inch-wide space. And the one that you said *could* be seen as family reasons...that sounded like family reasons to me!

Little hint...don't cry during an interview. Yeah...Public Storage didn't really appreciate that from me...:rotfl::rotfl2::headache::scared: I know you wouldn't, but I didn't think I would either! Then again, I went in for just the partest-time job, and in the interview found out that everyone hired is considered an "owner" who might end up with "their own" storage facility, which is NOT what I wanted, so it's best I didn't get it. :)

I could have sworn you had a son, or maybe I'm mistaken.

*There is no need to write on the resume why you left, regardless of the reason. If it comes up in an interview, be honest, but you still must put a positive spin on the reason. Saying "I didn't get along with my manager" is not going to work.

I haven't seen mention of a son before...

Agreed with not needing to put that on a resume, but on an application there is sometimes a box for it.

Regardless, you need to come up with something other than didn't get along with mgnt. :)

Sandra, I don't know what happened at home, but it doesn't sound like fun. I'm sorry. :hug:

The BEST way to find a job is on a company's website. Construct your resume and cover letter to fit the exact position you're applying, but keep both one page or less in length. Include phone numbers only on references, which should be submitted during an actual interview, not with your resume.

Try applying at department stores! Sears, Kohl's, and JC Penney are all good places to start, however if you have experience in sales/retail, apply at places like Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, and Neiman Marcus; commission there can be upwards of $300 on a good day, plus your normal wage!

Hope this helps!

You don't get any of those opprotunities to do that until an interview. It seems very few stores where managers that work out on the floor are the same ones that do the hiring, so you don't even get to talk to the person that accepts your application.
I am goig to reiterate what others have said here becuase I think it is very important. ALWAYS treat whoever you are handing that resume to as someone who matters. At my last job, the first thing my boss did when any of us handed her a resume was to ask our impression of the person who turned it in. If that impression was negative, she did not even look at the resume.

Something else, which I have not seen mentioned, but it worked for me other places when I was young, and my boss seemed to take extra notice (in a good way) of people who did it at my last job: When you walk in the door with the application (and your resume stapled to the back--great idea:thumbsup2) ask if you can please speak to a manager and then hand the resume directly to him or her. Thank them for comming out to meet you, shake their hand, let them know you just wanted to be sure the resume got into their hands and maybe ask a question or two. Often this gets you at least an on the spot mini interview. It shows you have the self assurance to handle the conversation on the spot and the motivation to get what you need/want, etc.

It seems my followers have found me... only took a day. I knew I should've created a new screen name for this topic.

Sandra, maybe some posts were deleted by tehe time I got up this morning:confused3 Otherwise, I honestly do not see that the posts in the page or so above this are mean spirited at all (I think one was near the very begining, but I may be confusing that with another thread). I have seen some very honest attempts to help you see how your own behaviour and attitudes are hurting you and trying to steer you into new behaviour and attitudes. I can imagine it is hard to see that and not take ofense--BUT you did ask for honest help and that is what I am seeing. If no posts were erased, PLEASE try to slow down and really look at what is being said and take it in as how it is meant--as HELP. You are in a tough spot, and showing you with pixie dust and saying 'it will all work out--just keep doing what you have been doing' or the like is NOT going to help you at all. In order to change your situation you do have to change your approach and yourself some (that seems to be somehting you really do not want to do--based on posts about your personality and not wanting to change who you are, etc.). You CAN do it, if you are really willing to see that it needs to happen though:hug: I do think you may be better able to do all of this with some help. Please consider contacting a pastor or counselor of some sort. I think you could use more help than random people on a message board can give you with all the negativity you seem to have built up in you.

The Orlando public library system has piles and piles of single session courses on a wide variety of topics (most are computer based).

This is a fantastic sugestion. You can gain skills, show your willingness to elarn/work and change, and even get some networking in. Maybe people in your classes will work somewhere that is hiring, or the librarians always seem to know good places to send patrons to apply that fit their personalities (at least we did at the library I worked at--we used to joke that we should get head hunter fees:rotfl:)

I could have sworn you had a son, or maybe I'm mistaken. Can you support a son on a part-time job? I think you should aim for a full-time job, definitley.

]

Her former picture is of her and her ex-girlfriend-that's probably what confused you

Her former picture is of her and her ex-girlfriend-that's probably what confused you

What's confusing about it? :confused:

OP, you may want to make an appointment at your local Department of Labor. One of the counselors there can help you find jobs and apply for them successfully. Good luck. :goodvibes

Does your unemployment office have a jobs retaining and referal service? If so, please go there today.

I could have sworn you had a son, or maybe I'm mistaken. Can you support a son on a part-time job? I think you should aim for a full-time job, definitley.

What's confusing about it? :confused:

Personally, I haven't followed the OP enough to know for sure if she or her former partner have any kids.

However, in the picture that she used to have in her signature block was of a young woman hugging someone else who was sitting down from behind. Initially, I thought it was a young-ish boy in the picture. Being that I have a wife that many people think is my 18 year old son, I decided to see if the OP did too or if it really was just a kid. So, I did a little snoop by checking the OP's signature image's properties and found the online photo storage site that the OP used. Once there I could see in the larger image that it was two women in the photo. The other photos had names attached that clearly indicated who the OP was and who Kari, aka the ex, was.

So, for anyone that assumed that the OP has/had a son from the image previously attached to her signature block, you made an incorrect assumption.

ok- I work in Non -profit and send people to these places all the time-
(Not in Orlando but kinda close:)
Workforce Central Florida

Orange County 5166 East Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL, 32803
(407)531-1227
East Orange County WORKFORCE CENTRAL FLORIDA
Open Mon-Thur 8-6 and Fri 8-5

Osceola County 1392 East Vine St.
Kissimmee, FL, 34744
(407)705-1555 Osceola WORKFORCE CENTRAL FLORIDA
Open Mon-Thur 8-6 and Fri 8-5

http://www.workforcecentralflorida.com/jobseekers/services.asp

These places will help you (FOR FREE) with applications- what to write and even help you and print (for FREE) a resume.
You can get vouchers for an outfit or two to help in job hunting and they will also give you gas vouchers ( possible bus vouchers- not sure of Orlando on buses) to help you look for a job. They also have job listings & training services. they also have career assessments to see what type of job you fit best into.
These places are here to help you and are wonderful resources for first time job seekers- even if you have had jobs, we (in my report) would consider you a first time/(newbie:) job seeker:)
I hope this helps-
I know that people who go thru the one stops/workforce centers have better luck finding work than just walking in and filling out an application.
Best Wishes:)
There is also : http://cfec.org/ in Orlando

If nobody has said it yet, you have 4 or 5 jobs that you quit because you couldn't get along with management. 1 or 2 is a fluke. 4 or 5 and you should look within. I don't think it's them.

I'll just ignore that last comment...

Pudge: I have used workforce before, back in Broward County... and they really were of no help. They barely even help with making my resume, occasionally the guy would nod yes or no if it looked alright. I still relied on Kari and my aunt for proof readers.
I think the only help they were, was free faxing. I'm not saying they're like that up here, but that's probably why I mentally blocked them out.

I like the resume thing with paper apps. Too bad it can't be done with online apps as well. The last time I made a resume I omited a lot stuff out, so hopefully I can find one a bit older that still has all the dates and stuff.

Maggie: you are correct. I've actually had a few people ask me about my "son". Although the best story about Kari being my son happened in real life. Shortly after moving up here, we went to Friendly's on I-drive, had a really good time there. So a few months later, we went back. The manager seated us, and I asked for a kids menu (kari eats off the kids menu, and she likes to cool blue drink), nothing out of the ordinary for me. Our waitress asks us what we wanted to drink, Kari got her's, I got a coke. Kari argues with me we don't have enough to order a regular meal, I have to get a kids meal. We both had one the last time, so we didn't think it to be a problem. Kari has a big thing about reading while eating, so she had her nose stuck in a book, and I proceeded to order for us.
me: "she'd like a kids cheeseburger meal with fries."
w: "ok, and what would you like?"
me: "I'll have the kids chicken fingers."
w: "sorry, the kids menu is for only kids under 12"
me: "well the manager seated us with a kids menu, and didn't say anything"
w: "sorry, that's policy"
me: "well you just let me order for her..."
w: "well isn't he under 12?"
me: "No, she's 25, and I'm 24"
By the end of this conversation, Kari's nose is like 2cm away from the table because she can't believe what is going on. The manager then came over, apologized for the mix up, and said we could both order off the kids menu. Besides bringing our food out, she avoided our table for the entire time. Nor did she get a very big tip.

Sandra, please. People are really trying to help you. But everything everyone suggests, you have some reason why it won't work. Take a deep breath and try one thing that has been suggested, don't dismiss it out of hand. Many people have been in the "I need a job NOW" situation and have some great deas. The guy with all the county suggestions, those are great. Maybe you got there on a bad day, maybe not, But when you walk in with a negative attitude, exactly like the one you are displaying here, it is easy to see why people turn off.

Ohh I'm not declining the help and info from every one. I'm just making a comment about certain things that I feel haven't worked for me in the past. I really am trying to take in all that has been said here. There's too many things to comment on for the good stuff, so I'm just saying if something hasn't worked before.

This is the last resume I created. What's wrong with it?? (the funny u and v are bullet points from Word, so you can ignore those). Summary will just depend on where I put my app in at. Both Kari and my aunt think it's pretty decent, but I'm sure you all will think otherwise. It does fit all on one page, and there's room for about two more lines even with my personal info at the top, and one line for summary.

Summary

Work Experience
Photopass Photographer: Walt Disney World
(407) 828-1000 June 2006 to September 2008
µ Photographed guest in all setting, indoor studio, outdoors, in the water, with Characters
µ Assisted Guests in viewing photos and purchasing
µ Assisted Guests with all needs while visiting Disney
With the use of a Nikon D70, I was able to make magic for all Guests.

Sales associate: Party City, Pembroke Pines, FL
***-***-**** September 2004 to March 2005

v Answered phones
v Worked the balloon counter
v Assisted with merchandise stock on the floor

Assisted customers with costume selections and holiday merchandise, and purchasing

Game Advisor: GameStop, Davie, FL
***-***-**** August 2003 to July 2004

v Answered phones
v Promoted advance reservations
v Used sales skills to up sell additional merchandise
v Checked in received shipments
v Processed in used inventory
v Inventory Tracking
Helped customers in selecting and purchasing games and accessories

General Office Assistant: Reliatex, Miami, FL
***-***-**** June 1997 to March 2003

v Inventory control
v Accounts payable
v Customer service
v Answered phones
v Data Entry
v Filing and organization
v Trained the new inventory employee

Helped every one around the office that needed assistance

Education
Broward Community College
Davie, FL

µ Photographed guest in all setting, indoor studio, outdoors, in the water, with Characters

Photographed guests in all settings

something like assisted customers with balloon selections and purchases

Assisted with merchandise stock on the floor

A little confused with the wording on this one. Does this mean you helped putting out stock or you helped in sales of merchandise on the sales floor????

Trained the new inventory employee

A bit cofused on the wording on this too. Sounds like you trained someone that has the job title of "new inventory employee"

I'll just ignore that last comment...

Sandra, please. People are really trying to help you. But everything everyone suggests, you have some reason why it won't work. Take a deep breath and try one thing that has been suggested, don't dismiss it out of hand. Many people have been in the "I need a job NOW" situation and have some great deas. The guy with all the county suggestions, those are great. Maybe you got there on a bad day, maybe not, But when you walk in with a negative attitude, exactly like the one you are displaying here, it is easy to see why people turn off.

Ohh I'm not declining the help and info from every one. I'm just making a comment about certain things that I feel haven't worked for me in the past. I really am trying to take in all that has been said here. There's too many things to comment on for the good stuff, so I'm just saying if something hasn't worked before.

I realize that I'm kind of late to the thread, but I think, OP, that you have gotten a lot of sincere, good advice from people who truly want to help you.

Having just read through the whole thread, I think what people are concerned about is what seems to be an overall lack of self-awareness of exactly why you find yourself in this position in the first place.

While you may think that Broker's comment is a slam on you, that's pretty much what anyone hiring is going to think when they look at your resume and work history unless you can prove to them otherwise.

Honestly, it is tough for anyone to find work in Florida right now, no matter how qualified the candidate. I know. I was laid off in January and had to relocate out of state to find a job after five months of constant applications and barely a nibble. I hope that you are able to obtain a job offer quickly and take it.... even if it's flipping burgers for General Patton.... and then after some time look for something that suits you better.

I hope you are able to see this process as a real learning experience. Stop thinking about just subsisting and figure out what you want to do to make a career. I know that a lot of these posts can come off as harsh (perhaps even this one), I think what people are trying to impress upon you is that the time for baby steps is long past. I hope you are able to make the changes so you don't find yourself stuck again.

I really, honestly, wish you the best of luck in finding a job.

:earsboy:

Photographed guests in all settings

something like assisted customers with balloon selections and purchases

Assisted with merchandise stock on the floor

A little confused with the wording on this one. Does this mean you helped putting out stock or you helped in sales of merchandise on the sales floor????

Trained the new inventory employee

A bit cofused on the wording on this too. Sounds like you trained someone that has the job title of "new inventory employee"

well this one I created when I was applying for another photography position, so that's why I included all the settings that I was trained for. I can delete it if it seems too much.

I did both at party city, help put out the stock, and helped the customers with selection.

I trained the new girl in my position of inventory control. I couldn't accept the job full time, so they hired some one new and I trained her before I left.
So I guess that's my one gleaming star of goodness.

well this one I created when I was applying for another photography position, so that's why I included all the settings that I was trained for. I can delete it if it seems too much.

I did both at party city, help put out the stock, and helped the customers with selection.

I trained the new girl in my position of inventory control. I couldn't accept the job full time, so they hired some one new and I trained her before I left.

I believe mum4jenn was just trying to help you fix a grammatical error. You have wirtten:
"Photographed guest in all setting" As mum4jenn pointed out you need to make both guest and setting plural (unless you only ever photgraphed one guest at Disney:rotfl:--trying to brighten the mood). However, I do think simply saying that you "photographed guests in a variety of settings" without going into further specifics sounds better (unless you are going for a photography position).

It's not that it is too much information..it was to show you spelling errors

You should word it that way then. The wording is weird...that is why I included it in my corrections.

Maybe something like:
Assisted with merchandise stocking
Performed sales related duties to provide excellent customer service

Again it is just the wording that needs to be tweaked. I was not trying to question "why" but the wording does not make it clear.

Maybe something like Trained employees in proper inventory control.

Just some ideas. LIke I said...it is not so much WHAT you have done but HOW it is worded in your document.

I also think the word ASSISTED is used to much. Find other ways to say the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter