I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I have an upgrade offer on my Delta Biz Gold to a platinum. $250 statement credit and 25K points for $5K spend in 6 months. Terrible deal compared to the public offer, but I like that I wouldn't get another card/account. I don't see a lifetime language on the offer. Would you take it? I was thinking I would throw spend on here between my or DH's other MSRs.

I have an upgrade offer on my Delta Biz Gold to a platinum. $250 statement credit and 25K points for $5K spend in 6 months. Terrible deal compared to the public offer, but I like that I wouldn't get another card/account. I don't see a lifetime language on the offer. Would you take it? I was thinking I would throw spend on here between my or DH's other MSRs.

I took it for P2 as she is already at the 5 amex credit card limit and has had the DL Plat previously. I saw it as a free 25k upgrade to Plat as the $250 effectively covers the AF increase and the $2500 MQDs will push her over the line for Silver Medallion this year - not that SM is worth a whole lot.

If there was an Amex card she could have cancelled then might well have gone for one of the NLL 100k offers if she was targeted.

I may well be wrong, but my understanding has always been that NLL language only matters/is helpful when it’s in the application the second time you apply for the card. In other words, it doesn’t say that you’re not eligible for the bonus if you’ve had the card before (sorry for the double negatives!). I don’t believe it acts peremptorily - allowing you to get the SUB in the future even though you’ll have now had the card via upgrade. So that’s a long and probably confusing way of saying I wouldn’t take the upgrade offer unless you think there’s zero chance you’d want the SUB on that card in the future.

I'm concerned that we won't like the ship as much as we like the Disney ships I guess. I've been reading a lot of things online and there are a lot of negative posts out there about them cost-cutting and nickel-and-diming passengers. I booked us on the Apex in Europe. I have a friend who really didn't enjoy her trans-Atlantic on that ship, but I booked a higher category than she did and I hope that makes the difference.
FWIW, we just cruised on the Apex a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Only issue we had was that we had signed up for a set dining time but when we went to eat the first night they showed us as “anytime dining”. I never took the time to straighten it out as it wasn’t really that big of a deal. Celebrity’s infinite verandahs are also different and in the end, I think I prefer a traditional balcony as you can’t have the infinite verandah window open and still keep the AC on in the cabin.

We aren’t drinkers and are perfectly content with the “free” beverages. Maybe that is where the “nickel and diming” is perceived? Other than that I’m not sure what that would be referring to. There is an espresso machine at the spa cafe that you can use without a drink package/extra charge and we took advantage of that every morning.

We’ve never been on DCL though so can’t compare.

I applied to renew my GE on Friday evening using P2’s IHG card. The $100 credit posted quickly to his account, and I received an email Sunday morning noting a change to my application and it was approved over the weekend. Nothing about an interview so very happy about that. My GE expiration would have been this coming November so now I’m good through November 2029.

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. I got conditional approval last night and made my appointment at one of the three airports you listed before the end of this month. I just picked soonest available and the location, there was 1 available.
That's amazing. Buy that lottery ticket!!!
Maybe I should change the time that I search - I generally only search between 7a-4p M-F. OR I should just pay the service to search for me!

I applied to renew my GE on Friday evening using P2’s IHG card. The $100 credit posted quickly to his account, and I received an email Sunday morning noting a change to my application and it was approved over the weekend. Nothing about an interview so very happy about that. My GE expiration would have been this coming November so now I’m good through November 2029.
Glad to hear you are good for another 5 years.

I thought all renewals were just done online now. At least they have been for both of our P1 & P2.

Thought I would share before and after photos of my
Kitchen “facelift.”
This looks GREAT. It opens up the entire kitchen and totally changes the look from "90's" to current. I love the painted walls to updated backsplash. It makes a huge difference to my eye!

I have to do something similar with mine soon -- built in '93, and was a rental house for forever. You can just imagine all of the things that need updating -- including the seashell sinks!!

I may well be wrong, but my understanding has always been that NLL language only matters/is helpful when it’s in the application the second time you apply for the card. In other words, it doesn’t say that you’re not eligible for the bonus if you’ve had the card before (sorry for the double negatives!). I don’t believe it acts peremptorily - allowing you to get the SUB in the future even though you’ll have now had the card via upgrade. So that’s a long and probably confusing way of saying I wouldn’t take the upgrade offer unless you think there’s zero chance you’d want the SUB on that card in the future.
Ok, thanks! Upon re-reading, I understand what you're saying and it makes total sense. If I take the upgrade, I'll need to hope for a NLL language next time I have the card. Best to just leave things as they are, then, so I don't hinder my ability to get a much better SUB if I decide to get the card later. I appreciate the advice!

Glad to hear you are good for another 5 years.

I thought all renewals were just done online now. At least they have been for both of our P1 & P2.
That’s probably true, but was still a relief when I saw the approval so quickly. Anything like this I’m kind of half expecting a hassle (because that’s just their policy lol), so when it’s easy…🎉

Such a terrible CC week. First DH's denial, second went to 2 different gas stations to buy a VGC to pay our utility bills (trying to use Hilton Biz) and both times the cashier hit CASH and then I wasn't able to purchase the card. Then went to Walmart, was able to get a $500 Vanilla VGC. Yay!
Went to pay power, gas, water, kids cheer dues. Declined all but gas bill. I tried so many things, but nothing. I ended up just paying $500 on my gas bill. I had plans to go to staples on Saturday but got busy. I guess I need to make sure I just go to Staples during gift card sales.
I just ended up using my Hyatt card.

Last edited:
Can I get input on the new SW personal offer with the companion pass? I did the Biz card MDD in 2021/2022 to earn the CP through 12/23. I've closed one Biz card opened on 2/22 and still have the other one open. My daughter and I frequently travel using SW so she'll be my companion. My thought was I could apply for the personal card and have it through 2/25 and at the end of this year could re-apply for the Biz MDD and carry my pass through 2027 since I'll be eligible for the bonus again. Once I have my personal, I'll close the other Biz card.

I think I am 1/24 since my last card was the AMEX gold in 3/23.

Am I thinking this through correctly? Is there a reason I shouldn't pursue this route?

I'm concerned that we won't like the ship as much as we like the Disney ships I guess. I've been reading a lot of things online and there are a lot of negative posts out there about them cost-cutting and nickel-and-diming passengers. I booked us on the Apex in Europe. I have a friend who really didn't enjoy her trans-Atlantic on that ship, but I booked a higher category than she did and I hope that makes the difference.
Fingers crossed your experience is better than mine! I think it will help A LOT that it's one of the newer ships and it's out of Europe (v Miami, cough cough). Regardless, you're going to have the amazing ports and scenery so there's that💕. Like everything, not all cruise lines fit all, and I have faith you're going to be super busy enjoying Norway😄

Can I get input on the new SW personal offer with the companion pass? I did the Biz card MDD in 2021/2022 to earn the CP through 12/23. I've closed one Biz card opened on 2/22 and still have the other one open. My daughter and I frequently travel using SW so she'll be my companion. My thought was I could apply for the personal card and have it through 2/25 and at the end of this year could re-apply for the Biz MDD and carry my pass through 2027 since I'll be eligible for the bonus again. Once I have my personal, I'll close the other Biz card.

I think I am 1/24 since my last card was the AMEX gold in 3/23.

Am I thinking this through correctly? Is there a reason I shouldn't pursue this route?
Most people try what you did in 21/22 to get the companion pass for almost 2 years.

This will get you the pass faster but it will expire sooner and you will have less points at only 30k vs stacking the biz & personal at the end or the year.

Remember you only get one bonus on personal cards every 24 months.

If you need this pass for this year then it is certainly worth it imo.

This will get you the pass faster but it will expire sooner and you will have less points at only 30k vs stacking the biz & personal at the end or the year.
Thanks for the feedback! I did note the lower points, but right now I'm going to be transferring from my URs or paying cash for her to travel with anyway so this would provide me some SW extra and I can save my URs.
I'll be stacking two biz at the end of the year to carry me through 2027 like I did previously. My thought process this way gets me through Feb 25 until I can stack the CC.

DH and I made it back last night from our first weekend WDW getaway. He was so skeptical and thought I was crazy to think this was a good idea to go for basically 1 day, but I think I have him convinced now that it's not so bad. We probably spent more than I initially thought we would, since we couldn't find any DVC availability anywhere so we had to pay for our resort OOP. We did the AP discount and stayed at POFQ. Turns out we didn't mind the moderate resort. It seemed like we got to all of the parks pretty quick from there on the buses. I think we spent around $1300 for the whole trip, plus I think around 55k RR points. We had amazing weather, which really surprised me. I am not used to wearing shorts in February in Mississippi. Saturday was a perfect day, we got up and went to HS, rode Slinky Dog 3 times, Rise of Resistance, Star Tours and Toy Story Mania all by 10:00 am. Then we had lunch and rode Runaway Railway. Took the skyliner to Epcot by 1:00 so we could try and get the VQ for Guardians. We went through the new Moana Water attraction, Went up to the DVC lounge for a drink and a snack. Got our DVC pin, plus our AP magnet. We did Soarin'. Then we headed back to the resort for a bit. We had a dinner reservation at 'Ohana so we went and ate, and then took the monorail to Epcot for our callback time on Guardians. We left there to head to MK around 8:00 pm and I was very disappointed to see that HEA was at 8 pm that night and not 9 pm like usual so I missed it. We rode Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise. We went to go ride Thunder Mountain, but it went down right as we walked up to it. So we did the next best thing and got a Dole Whip! 7DMT had an hour wait and we decided we didn't want to do it so we just headed back to the resort. Planned on getting up and rope dropping AK yesterday, but we overslept. We were scheduled to be picked up for our ride back to MCO at 12:40 so we didn't have a lot of time. So we went over to Disney Springs for some lunch and rode the boat back to POFQ just in time to catch our ride. This seemed like the first time in forever that our flight from MCO was actually on time. We did fly through bad weather most of the way so it was pretty bumpy, but it didn't bother me. All in all it was a good trip with no real plans and we just relaxed and enjoyed the whole weekend. I can't wait to do it again.

Side question, I did see where we could have booked somewhere like the Drury Inn or maybe the Hilton at Disney Springs on Hotels.com. Has anyone ever stayed at any of those on a short notice trip like this was for us? I have something like $220 in hotel cash, which we could have used for this trip and only been out of pocket maybe $300 for our room, but I just wasn't sure if it was inconvenient not staying at an actual WDW resort.

Side question, I did see where we could have booked somewhere like the Drury Inn or maybe the Hilton at Disney Springs on Hotels.com. Has anyone ever stayed at any of those on a short notice trip like this was for us? I have something like $220 in hotel cash, which we could have used for this trip and only been out of pocket maybe $300 for our room, but I just wasn't sure if it was inconvenient not staying at an actual WDW resort.
I can't help yet, but we're staying at the Drury in April for a quick weekend trip, and I can report back then! It was appealing to us for this upcoming trip because I used URs and $50 CSP hotel credit, and they offer early entry, no amenity fee, shuttles to parks, etc. We are hardly ever in our room on Disney trips, so luxury is never important to us for these types of trips.

I can't help yet, but we're staying at the Drury in April for a quick weekend trip, and I can report back then! It was appealing to us for this upcoming trip because I used URs and $50 CSP hotel credit, and they offer early entry, no amenity fee, shuttles to parks, etc. We are hardly ever in our room on Disney trips, so luxury is never important to us for these types of trips.
Will the shuttle get there in time to take advantage of early entry?

P2 has AA miles expiring 3/4. I put his AA number in our car rental in mid January, to earn miles. Nothing. Placed a PetSmart online pickup order 2/2 through his AA shopping account. Still nothing. Getting concerned, I fear I am going to have to spend $75 and buy miles at the end of the month if neither of those come through.

P2 has AA miles expiring 3/4. I put his AA number in our car rental in mid January, to earn miles. Nothing. Placed a PetSmart online pickup order 2/2 through his AA shopping account. Still nothing. Getting concerned, I fear I am going to have to spend $75 and buy miles at the end of the month if neither of those come through.
Can you link a cc even one bought from staples to the aa dining program? That’s how we keep our accounts active

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter