I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I have a ticket on SWA to fly to MCO next month but my sister wants me to meet her in Vegas now so I am going to change the flight and hopefully use my AMEX Plat airline credit. Does the flight change have to be under $100 to get the credit or can it be higher?
I have made 2 $104 purchases that have credited, I think the max is $108
How long should it take for the amex platinum credits to post to my account? Its been 4 days and nothing. I need to cancel the card tomorrow.
I made 2 SW purchases 12/28 and one credited 1/2 the second 1/3.

I think we’re just going to book for May as planned and hope it all works out. If the expansion does open in April and the parks are crazy packed we’ll deal with it and make things work. We may have to skip some things but it’ll still be fun. Once we get flights booked then we can really start planning!
Use British Airways site to check availability, they open their calendar 20ish days before than AA you'll be able to see what is left when AA opens their calendar.
We used AA miles to get to Japan and BA for the return we were able to book both flights around the same time.

When did the fee post? you have 30 days after it post to get it credited. You can still pay it and then have the money returned once you cancel.
I don't know precisely when it posted, but my statement closed on December 11th. Today is the 25th day.

Just checked. It was December 11th when the fee posted.

Last edited:
With Japan, I have a loose itinerary written up of everything we want to do. But my problem is, IG has figured out we're going to Japan and has only been showing me Japan reels now, ALL THE TIME. And I'm hooked. I've found out about so much stuff I didn't know about, and now I feel like there's more to do than we have time for, lol. I don't know about blogs or anything, but IG has a lot of updated travel info of whats open/whats not, etc.

I haven't looked there yet, hadn't thought about it. One person has popped up when I look at random reels but it was cringe and seemed so much about what looks good on Insta. Some of the places I've found I want to go were from guidebooks and aren't things I've ever seen on a blog etc. But museums aren't interesting for a lot of people never mind exciting for social media and blogs.

I hope this is ok to share here - I think I’ve mentioned in the past how I’ve saved tons of money paying school tuition with Visa and MC gift cards. With Staples having their fee-free Visa cards next week, I thought it might be helpful to share the write up of what I did (I ended up “saving” almost $1500 paying tuition!) https://www.facebook.com/1000893163...4CE22q1tJhKEW5zqpMVaiuRmBkxG7DVmvigCfwCl/?d=n

I hope this is ok to share here - I think I’ve mentioned in the past how I’ve saved tons of money paying school tuition with Visa and MC gift cards. With Staples having their fee-free Visa cards next week, I thought it might be helpful to share the write up of what I did (I ended up “saving” almost $1500 paying tuition!) https://www.facebook.com/1000893163...4CE22q1tJhKEW5zqpMVaiuRmBkxG7DVmvigCfwCl/?d=n
What payment portal does the school use? I have my kids tuition coming up in July and their school uses FACTS. I've always just made one payment but I wonder if I could make smaller payments or even with money orders to pay the total down?

I haven't looked there yet, hadn't thought about it. One person has popped up when I look at random reels but it was cringe and seemed so much about what looks good on Insta. Some of the places I've found I want to go were from guidebooks and aren't things I've ever seen on a blog etc. But museums aren't interesting for a lot of people never mind exciting for social media and blogs.
Yeah, you'll have to weed through what your interests are. It does still show me some stuff that is cringey and people are only doing "for the Gram".... but some of the stuff I've found like restaurants, or off the beaten path attractions, stores, etc. seem super cool. I tend to take what I find on IG with a grain of salt, and then do further research on travel blogs/online about it to confirm. But I've found several things out that way. May be an option, just throwing it out there!

Last edited:
I want to go to both of these hotels in Austin any tips on booking Miraval I always see cash never points worth the splurge? i have an open hotel alert for the Driskell myself and wanted to check that out I have Thompson booked if I end up going.
Diamond is going to be hard to get this year to 20k oof. I can't hit the sky miles waiver either.
Also, love that hotel in key west and I too love the wish we've gone 3x there aare concierge staff is so nice.

First, I go to the points calendar on the WoH site and try to find the lowest points dates (they used to be fixed, now are variable too, sadly). If you're going with a second person, make sure you scroll to standard room-2 adults since the standard room-1 adult is the default.

Then, the "fun" (sarcasm) part...you'll have to call Miraval's booking number and press the number for Austin and then the number for World of Hyatt member. A nice person will eventually come on the line and check the dates you want, ensure you have the points to book it and then do a soft booking. I say soft because there's one person (at least the last time I did this) who manages the Hyatt points->actual Miraval booking, Tyler.

At some point (hopefully soon), you'll get a confirmation email and with that, should be able to book spa treatments and activities through the link in the email. Dinner bookings and transportation arrangements are usually best done on the phone, although there is an email for transportation.

It's a bit of a time investment but so far SO WORTH it...I've been to Austin 3 times and Tucson once so clearly I'm a fan.

As for the Driskill, it's a very nice, historic property and I think it's a block away from the Thompson so you can easily scoot across the street and check it out. They have a package with a 2 night stay plus a private tour with a historian who does a tour which I've booked for my birthday this year; apparently there's a local company that also does group tours. The bar is hopping and has great bar snacks (well, to me, lol) and the breakfast, if you do decide to go, is quite good. This year will be my third year going so I'm a fan.

I do love the Key West Centric-it's a great place to be in Jan/Feb, when our part of Florida is gray and gloomy.

Last edited:
Just finished booking my Disney/Universal Trip for August. Was originally going to just do Disney but DS's girlfriend is a huge Harry Potter fan so figured I would try and do Universal for a few days if I could make it work. Here is what we are doing: There are 4 of us. Me, DS23, DD21 and DS' s Girlfriend 22. (DH is not a big Disney fan - said he won't go back until we have grandkids...)

August 4th Friday - Taking a late 7:00 PM Flight. (That way we can all still work on Friday and don't need to take another vacation day). We arrive at about 1:00 AM. - Flights booked with SW Points. Should have CP soon and will make one of the kids my Companion and get those points back. 10,407 SW Points Each

Since we get in so late - I just booked us a night at the Hyatt in MCO Airport. Transferred UR's to Hyatt. 15,000 Hyatt Points.

Saturday/Sunday - Universal Studios W/2 Day Park to Park Pass. Used Cap One Venture X PYB for the tickets. Booked with Undercover Tourist. 134,768 Points

Saturday Night - Staying at Royal Pacific for 1 night. So we get express pass for both days. Booked on Chase Site with my CSP (not longer have the CSR). 71,551 UR's

Move to BWV Sunday Night for 7 Nights - This is only part paying cash. Friend of DH's owns DVC and lets us rent points from him when they are not using. This is being booked tomorrow - 1 Bedroom Std View. He rents to us at $11 a point. So, the week will cost $2100 (187 DVC Points).

Disney 6 Day Park Hoppers - Booked with Undercover Tourist. Used Cap One Venture X PYB for these. 268,112 Points

Fly Home on Sunday with Southwest. 15,580 Points each.

I also have $2100 in Disney Gift Cards from 2020 when we could use PYB at Grocery/Home Improvement Stores. Had CSR then so got quite a few Disney and Carnival Gift Cards.

I still have around 750,000 UR's. Need to get more Cap One Points. As, the tickets depleted those points quick. Will try and get DH the Standard Venture Card (he already had the Venture X). Working on more SW Points right now also and Companion Pass.

Great job! I remember WVMomof3 and I had an ongoing debate about using credit cards to pay when the school charged a fee( 😢 still so hard to believe she's gone...). Congrats on having the patience to enter the VGC/MC multiple times!

I'm a big weirdo and am irrationally sad that DD's fifth year (Master's) program is tuition free so there goes my easy SUB earnings, although DH doesn't feel the same:laughing:.

What payment portal does the school use? I have my kids tuition coming up in July and their school uses FACTS. I've always just made one payment but I wonder if I could make smaller payments or even with money orders to pay the total down?
I’m not positive. When I go to the statements page, the website bar reads “commerce.cashnet.com.” I don’t have a balance so I can’t start the “make a payment” process to confirm, but I don’t believe I was re-directed to a third party payment processing website when I made payments.

I fly SW regularly and also choose the Wanna Get Away whether using points or cash. However, I fly them frequently enough that I don't mind getting "stuck" with a credit.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you should use her CSP unless you are traveling with her. This will give her the travel disruption protections covered by her CSP. I think that benefit is only triggered when the card holder is traveling on the ticket purchased with the card.
Oh darn. She was pushing me to hurry and book it because she only wanted that one flight time, so I used my CSR (wrong choice). I'm going to make a note for next time because she flies infrequently but always asks me to book it for her. Also, I think she should maybe get one of the SW cards so she can fly on points next time.

With Japan, I have a loose itinerary written up of everything we want to do. But my problem is, IG has figured out we're going to Japan and has only been showing me Japan reels now, ALL THE TIME. And I'm hooked. I've found out about so much stuff I didn't know about, and now I feel like there's more to do than we have time for, lol. I don't know about blogs or anything, but IG has a lot of updated travel info of whats open/whats not, etc.
Haha! Same but with Iceland. Every video and photo is so gorgeous! I hate that IG (and online) algorithms know so much but I love all the info right at my fingertips.

For those of you that have the ATT Business Fiber offer on your Amex card, there is a way to use the offer on any ATT product.
I clicked on the link from the offer and opened it in Incognito browser. From the landing page in the upper right corner under Account click pay without signing in which brings up a new tab. I Selected Uverse, entered in my account number. Did not click check balance. Proceeded to pay $50.00. It limits you to 2 of these payments every 24 hours. Pre auth on Amex shows AT&T HSIA BUS E-EVR. My account is residential AT&T Fiber standalone.

I got the Amex email about 48 hours later and the credit posted 5 days later. I just did it on 12/28.

ETA: I did not find this workaround, I learned it from comments on Doc.

Thank you, this was an interesting read and kudos to you for your organization and patience entering that many cards.
My DD's school uses FACTS and you can do smaller payments, such as VGC's, or set the account up to charge to a card. I've met many CIC/CIU MSR's this way.

Do we know what the magic formula is for getting approved for a Venture X? DH applied last year during the initial bonus, and was denied. He’s now 3/24 & 1/12. I would think those are favorable stats, but I’m hesitant because it’s the only denial he’s ever had. Anyone with recent DPs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter