I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My employer funds our HSA which I use to reimburse ourselves and I always pay for our expenses with a points earning card. I LOVE having a high deductible plan for this very reason!
Wait... so you're saying it's possible to use a CC for medical bills and then I can reimburse myself from my HSA?! That's a game changer! I had no clue.

I continue to be amazed by the wisdom/knowledge on this thread! Thank you all again for sharing what you've learned with new people like myself! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my questions.

P.S. My new CSP card came in yesterday. :yay:I can't believe the weight of this thing!

Has anyone canceled a United award flight? How fast do the miles get refunded?
Same experience here. Cancelled one a few weeks ago, miles were redeposited immediately and I could book a different flight while still on the phone with the rep (guess it was 'technically' a change- he called it that so I wouldn't have a cancellation penalty even though it was a totally different route). Taxes and fees posted a week or so later. You can actually refresh your account page and watch what is happening while he is doing it.

Just a heads up, I had one flight where we paid the upcharge for economy plus seats on a short domestic flight on which the basic economy portion was was paid for with points, and when we cancelled the rep assured me the upcharge would be taken care of and refunded. Waited and waited- and it never was so had to call again and have someone do it. Watch your refunds carefully. With so many people changing and cancelling things are falling through the cracks.

I decided to wait between my SW business applications…applied and approved for the first 10/11…will go for the second one in December…

....interested in hearing others CP strategy

Ugh - I just applied for DH the SW Biz Performance and got the we will let you know message. I hope it goes through. I hate calling and he hates it even more! Am I right that there's no status line to call right now. Just have to wait and see?

Hey churner peeps! I am super excited to have snagged the Miraval Berkshires for a weekend on points next fall. I’d been searching for availability every few days but there were no points only room bookings. Today, I had success! A standard room here for 2 nights is $4,995! I’d never pay that (says the person who booked 2 nights at the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser hotel and isn’t even a huge Star Wars fan) mostly because I can’t Disney Math it if we’re being honest here :laughing: I also reached out to my Hyatt Concierge to apply the last of my suite upgrade certificates from last year’s mattress run. Now I just need to wait until flights open up.

Speaking of flights, I got my flights booked for our first visit to Kauai next year. I’d booked the Grand Hyatt Kauai for 5 nights some time ago. I’d held off on the flights because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stop at DLR or visit Napa on the way back. Finally decided on 3 nights in Napa. Flights are in first. Gotta keep Mr. PlanePrincess happy of course, not that I’m complaining LOL United miles and MR points with the 35% back with the business plat card to the rescue.

I haven’t seen availability for the Napa Alila or Andaz, so we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Sonoma Valley. If I see availability pop up for either one though, I will switch. I also made a reservation for a wine tour and was able to pay online with a fee free gift card that I’d picked up at Staples for 5x.

Next year’s trips are all starting to come together. Now I’m just waiting on flights to open up for the last two. Panama Canal Disney cruise in March. Disneyland in March. Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser in April. New York trip with niece in May to make up for her canceled 2020 trip. Disney Wish Maiden Voyage in June. Kauai and Napa in September. Berkshires Miraval in October. Galapagos in December/January. All of them are churned trips except for the 2 Disney cruises and Starcruiser hotel. But those will get paid with Disney GCs that earned 5x URs or were discounted or both. Still working on when I might squeeze in a weekend trip to London to see the ABBA concert.

I’m looking forward to starting this journey of earning tons of points. I am a nerd with an earned doctorate, so I am eager to learn and know I can do it with your help. :)

I recently was approved for the
10/21 Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
(** I need to spend $5k in 3 months to get the bonus. I know I should have asked here before applying, but did it late at night. I haven’t gotten it in the mail yet.)

I have the
Chase Disney Visa (this is my only experience with CC rewards, owned for 8 years)
Chase Freedom Ultimate Rewards (owned for 16 years)

Bank of America just changed my Accelerated Rewards American Express® Card to a Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature. I just activated it today. (Owned for 14 years)

Right now, I believe my wife is an authorized user on all cards.

GOALS:
I‘d like to earn travel rewards and cash toward a car down payment.

ABOUT ME:
There are four in our traveling party, two adults, two kids.

Our budget is about $6,000 a month, but would need coaching on how to use CC for my bills that current are automated.

I’m heading to WDW in 7 days and would like advice about which card to use. I usually charge everything to one card. (We also have over $400 in Disney Rewards and some gift cards for this trip.)

Oh, we do have a Target Redcard and have bought a few gift cards from there in the past.

We are DVC members, so won’t be paying for our room. Currently our monthly dues come out of our checking account.

Immediate questions:
1. Tips on reaching the minimum spend On the Bonvoy.
2. I know next to nothing about Plastiq. I don’t have an account.
3. How should I pay for food, gas, and stuff for my upcoming trip (Gift cards from Target? The new Bonvoy?) I have cash in vacation savings acct to pay it off.

Thanks for your help. :)

Hey churner peeps! I am super excited to have snagged the Miraval Berkshires for a weekend on points next fall. I’d been searching for availability every few days but there were no points only room bookings. Today, I had success! A standard room here for 2 nights is $4,995! I’d never pay that (says the person who booked 2 nights at the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser hotel and isn’t even a huge Star Wars fan) mostly because I can’t Disney Math it if we’re being honest here :laughing: I also reached out to my Hyatt Concierge to apply the last of my suite upgrade certificates from last year’s mattress run. Now I just need to wait until flights open up.

Speaking of flights, I got my flights booked for our first visit to Kauai next year. I’d booked the Grand Hyatt Kauai for 5 nights some time ago. I’d held off on the flights because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to stop at DLR or visit Napa on the way back. Finally decided on 3 nights in Napa. Flights are in first. Gotta keep Mr. PlanePrincess happy of course, not that I’m complaining LOL United miles and MR points with the 35% back with the business plat card to the rescue.

I haven’t seen availability for the Napa Alila or Andaz, so we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Sonoma Valley. If I see availability pop up for either one though, I will switch. I also made a reservation for a wine tour and was able to pay online with a fee free gift card that I’d picked up at Staples for 5x.

Next year’s trips are all starting to come together. Now I’m just waiting on flights to open up for the last two. Panama Canal Disney cruise in March. Disneyland in March. Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser in April. New York trip with niece in May to make up for her canceled 2020 trip. Disney Wish Maiden Voyage in June. Kauai and Napa in September. Berkshires Miraval in October. Galapagos in December/January. All of them are churned trips except for the 2 Disney cruises and Starcruiser hotel. But those will get paid with Disney GCs that earned 5x URs or were discounted or both. Still working on when I might squeeze in a weekend trip to London to see the ABBA concert.

What great trips you have planned! Can't wait to hear about them. :) I was just thinking today when can I fit in the Galapagos. Probably not until 2023 or later lol.

The Andaz Napa shouldn't be hard to get, probably they haven't opened their calendar yet. If you're going on weekdays, the cash rate might be low enough that it's a better deal than using points. We'll be at the Alila Napa in March, looking forward to that.

Ok, my turn for which card next and for which player.

P1 - 03/24
CIU 07/21
DiscoverIT 03/21
Amex Plat 11/20
Hilton Surp 05/20
CIU 01/20 (downgrade from CIP)

Holding:
CSR (no plans to mess with this, my fave card)
Amex Gold (will ask for retention, but got 10K MR in 2020, I like this card)
IHG (totally forgot to churn)
Bonvoy Biz (I like this card for status/FNC)
CIC (will hold for biz expenses)

P2 - 1/24
CIC 01/21
CIU 02/20
DiscoverIT 02/20 (planned to close, but I did make use of some Q3 here after maxing mine. Would like to churn.)
CIP 11/19 (I want to keep one CIP and it looks like it's this one)

Holding:
Amex Surpass
Chase Freedom
*Eligible for CSP/CSR in July so plan to keep at 3/24 for that.

I like to remain at 4/24 so I can get Biz cards or if a great personal comes around. I highly value UR, we do enough dining out that with PYB I can cover most softball travel expenses that way. We only fly SW, it's just easy. I prefer Hilton for hotel, then Marriott. I know Hyatt is great, but I don't have that option in most places we end up. We both hold CPs through the end of this year and I'd like another, but at the same time it's easy enough to get UR and transfer those over. If we CP again I think priority is me (P1) as I'm more likely to fly off somewhere with a kid or two. I do rent cars in Orlando (preference to National thanks to CSR).

Upcoming travel:
Disney in January, hopefully. That trip is half booked and a total mess so maybe I'm fine canceling it. Army is not making my travel life easy at all.

I want to do a family trip somewhere, anywhere. In my dream planning I would have points to cover rooms for everyone (5 adults, 2 teens) and maybe airfare, car if needed, etc. Colorado, Hawaii, Costa Rica are near the top of my list, kids want something outdoorsy not beachy, maybe a cabin somewhere. This is actually something I want to do every other year to bring the family together as we get more spread out. Dreams.

Lots of softball, but most of those tournaments are usually pay to play so have to be booked through them. The need for UR is never-ending. But, maybe a cashback card would be good here as well.

Thoughts:
I'm watching datapoints in the Biz Plat. If the Adobe credit works for my plan I'm highly considering that card. I don't exactly have a use for MR other than transfer to Hilton, but I'd be fine cashing out for HomeDepot GCs to be honest, lots of home improvement going on around here. I've been hoping one of us would get an upgrade offer to Hilton Aspire. I've already held it, but P2 has not. I think if he doesn't get an upgrade offer by the time my diamond status ends than I may just have him app for that. My pre-Covid plan was to use Hilton in Hawaii and/or Costa Rica.

I do like to have hotel status. I try to book via hotel points or cash so that I get my status recognition. I have been almost bumped from my hotel at a tournament in a town where I know most everything was booked. I had to argue to get the room I booked (vs one too small for us), I did use my status in my argument even though I had booked that one via Chase/Expedia. I don't want that stress.

I have a bad addiction to UberEats, or even DoorDash. It's a Monday night thing unfortunately. Getting dinner delivered to the kids allows us to grocery shop and date night so it's a win for everyone really. The Uber Cash from Gold and Plat will be missed, I can't keep both cards.

My only cards have ever been NFCU, USAA, Chase, Amex and Discover. I've not branched beyond that, I did get denied BOA last year.

I have a $9K payment I'm getting ready to make soon so it's time for a card.

Haven't been on in a while so I've got lots of catching up to do. Wanted to chime in quickly and say while at Epcot on Saturday, I spotted Dischurners royalty as we were just getting to the park after spending the day at AK. I was so awestruck, I just kept walking and pointing, but couldn't get words out. 😂 My husband was looking at me like I was crazy. After a minute I was finally able to spit out "OMGosh, that was Calypso and Plane Princess!" as if he should know exactly who I was referring to. Once I mentioned the thread he followed and said "so that was really THE Calypso?" So sad I couldn't compose myself enough to actually say hi. :rotfl:

I’m looking forward to starting this journey of earning tons of points. I am a nerd with an earned doctorate, so I am eager to learn and know I can do it with your help. :)

(** I need to spend $5k in 3 months to get the bonus. I know I should have asked here before applying, but did it late at night. I haven’t gotten it in the mail yet.)

I have the
Chase Disney Visa (this is my only experience with CC rewards, owned for 8 years)

Bank of America just changed my Accelerated Rewards American Express® Card to a Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Signature. I just activated it today. (Owned for 14 years)

GOALS:

ABOUT ME:

Our budget is about $6,000 a month, but would need coaching on how to use CC for my bills that current are automated.

I’m heading to WDW in 7 days and would like advice about which card to use. I usually charge everything to one card. (We also have over $400 in Disney Rewards and some gift cards for this trip.)

Oh, we do have a Target Redcard and have bought a few gift cards from there in the past.

We are DVC members, so won’t be paying for our room. Currently our monthly dues come out of our checking account.

Immediate questions:
3. How should I pay for food, gas, and stuff for my upcoming trip (Gift cards from Target? The new Bonvoy?) I have cash in vacation savings acct to pay it off.

Welcome. Here is how I would go about spending, but everyone has their own preferences.

DH and I both participate in cc churning. You have a very healthy spend, so If your spouse is willing, get them involved. Don’t add the P2 as an authorized user, as this will limit how many cards they can get in the future.

I tend to only work towards MSRs. So, we get a new card, and use it almost exclusively for everything until we’ve met the MSR. Both P1 and P2 can add cards to your digital wallet and share the cc info so any spending gets put on that card. Once we’ve met an MSR, we are on to a new card.

So for your upcoming Disney trip, I would charge everything to your new Boundless card.

This game only works if you pay everything off in full each month and never accrue any interest. It’s recommended to start keeping a spreadsheet of your churning, including cards, application dates, annual fees, MSR and SUBs, etc.

Remember P1 and P2 can refer each other for cards. So for example, you can send a support link to P2 for her own Boundless (if that’s the right card for P2) and you’ll receive points for the referral.

Others will chime in on their recommended strategies.

We're back from a quick campus visit over the weekend to UW-Seattle. Used Amex credits to get in on that short promo for SW CP in Jan & Feb, so my CP will work through end of Feb now instead of expiring 12/31. We were lucky with having just a 30 minute delay coming home on SW, no last minute canceled flights or any mishap like that. Spent time in the Centurion Lounges at both DEN and SEA. Food was yummy and it was self-serve at both locations, which is different from the last time I used a Centurion Lounge. Finally spent some Marriott gift cards (procured over time using Amex Offers) to pay the first night of our stay (there were no rooms available that night on points) and used points for the second night. Thankfully, the front desk rep knew exactly how to apply the gift cards.

On the shuttle ride to the car rental agency, I checked the current rental car prices from Costco on my phone and it was lower than what I had booked. I was able to book a new reservation, and cancel the original one before we reached the rental counter and it went without a hitch. I've never made a last minute car reservation before, I'm surprised how smoothly it went.

I have a $9K payment I'm getting ready to make soon so it's time for a card.

With a large organic expense coming up, I think the Biz Plat is a no brainer. Amex cards are harder to MS on, so get the higher MSR bonuses when you have the extra spend already queued up. You mention the Adobe credit, but consider the $400 Dell credit (you can probably resell Xbox gift cards online somewhere if you have no other use for it) and the $200 airline credit into your value. I'm no expert on transfer partners, but I have to imagine there are several options to get you to Hawaii with MR. With 5 adults and 2 kids, I'd strongly consider an Airbnb option and focus your points on subsidizing the flight portion of the trip.

Haven't been on in a while so I've got lots of catching up to do. Wanted to chime in quickly and say while at Epcot on Saturday, I spotted Dischurners royalty as we were just getting to the park after spending the day at AK. I was so awestruck, I just kept walking and pointing, but couldn't get words out. 😂 My husband was looking at me like I was crazy. After a minute I was finally able to spit out "OMGosh, that was Calypso and Plane Princess!" as if he should know exactly who I was referring to. Once I mentioned the thread he followed and said "so that was really THE Calypso?" So sad I couldn't compose myself enough to actually say hi. :rotfl:

Oh, I wish you would have stopped to say Hi! It's always fun meeting online friends in real life. Yup, we were puttering around waiting for our Space 220 reservations to open up.

What great trips you have planned! Can't wait to hear about them. :) I was just thinking today when can I fit in the Galapagos. Probably not until 2023 or later lol.

The Andaz Napa shouldn't be hard to get, probably they haven't opened their calendar yet. If you're going on weekdays, the cash rate might be low enough that it's a better deal than using points. We'll be at the Alila Napa in March, looking forward to that.

That seems to be the case with the Andaz. It's over a weekend though. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Alila!

That was my thought on the Galapagos, so end of 2022 spilling over into early 2023 seemed good enough LOL

I have the

GOALS:

ABOUT ME:

Immediate questions:

:welcome: it's a fun hobby and we have a great group of peeps here! I see that @FreeDiningFanatic gave you some excellent advice.

I generally will also put all spending on a new MSR. My exception to that is if I have a particularly large upcoming non bonus category spend that I know will complete the MSR For example, I just picked up the new Hyatt business card and need to spend $7500 in 3 months. My roof is in the process of getting replaced and that will more than cover that MSR. Therefore, I am still focused on category bonus spending and not that MSR. Right now, I have 2 Freedom cards that will earn 5x each up to $1500 in spend this quarter on PayPal. So all of my PayPal transactions are going to the Freedom cards. My goal is to try and get as close to 5x on all of my spending as possible. Of course, when I have an MSR to meet that goal may get put to the back burner depending on the current circumstances.

A few weeks ago, I received a retention offer on the Bonvoy Brilliant for spending $1500 in 3 months. So, I brought that card instead of the slew of Disney GCs I have over the WDW 50th anniversary trip with me. Knocked out the spend and it's back in the sock drawer until next month for the dining credit.

Ugh - I just applied for DH the SW Biz Performance and got the we will let you know message. I hope it goes through. I hate calling and he hates it even more! Am I right that there's no status line to call right now. Just have to wait and see?
Sending :tink:he is approved quickly….does he already have a chase business card ? If so you can keep checking to see if it shows in his account.

Does anyone know if these new benefits get retroactively added to existing cards? The early bird check-ins would be nice for our trip, so if I don't get this benefit on my card, that might push me over the edge to get DH his own card before we book flights.
Existing cardholders are getting the benefits. I received an email about it, but I'm finding the language about the EBCI confusing. "Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 2 EarlyBird Check-In services made with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card." I don't know if that means existing cardholders need to wait until their anniversary to use the benefit.

Sending :tink:he is approved quickly….does he already have a chase business card ? If so you can keep checking to see if it shows in his account.

Thanks - he does not currently hold any chase business cards. He used to and I checked that login a couple of days ago and it said that account had been disabled and to call customer support. I'm now wishing I'd held one of the free Ink cards just to keep that login active.

You have room in your suitcase for me? All those trips sound great!

Are there limits on which Hilton cards you can get if you've already had certain Hilton cards? Or is that just Marriott?

Are there limits on which Hilton cards you can get if you've already had certain Hilton cards? Or is that just Marriott?

For new applications, Amex limits you to one sign up bonus per product (both personal and business) per "lifetime" (though there are some reports that after 7 years, Amex "forgets" you had the card). One strategy to get more bonuses after you have held all of the products is to downgrade your Aspire or Surpass to the no AF Hilton card and after a year or so hope you are targeted for an upgrade offer, which doesn't count towards the one lifetime rule. There have also been "No Lifetime Language" offers for cards like the Aspire where you can get them a second time -- but be warned that Amex sometimes takes account action against people who use NLL offers, particularly ones they were not targeted to received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter