• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll put in my two cents here...we just got back from a trip to CO on Delta and had no problems. They didn't mess with our flight schedule but they did do an aircraft change that I wasn't aware of that changed our seats some. No a huge deal and we were fine. Now, we have flights in October with SW and November back on Delta that keep changing. For that I would say, stay on top of those as best you can. I've spent many an hour waiting on a call back from Delta. I am hoping that as things "get back to normal" they would finally get their schedules set.

Now as far as being comfortable, I felt fine. Everyone was compliant with the rules but I will say, the airports are as busy to me as they were the last time I had flown in January of 2020.

Also just got back after 4 flights in 5 days for a college tour - BOS - DTW - MDW - STL - BOS. Only the last flight was delayed by 30 mins yesterday (waiting for connecting passengers delayed by weather in the South). Overall, it was a very normal experience, except for the masks - but as far as I could tell, everyone was masked up and there were no issues on any of our flights. Two were on Delta and 2 on SW - I feel quite lucky given some of the horror stories out there.

We just got back from our Hawaii trip on Saturday morning and wanted to share some thoughts since I learned so much from others on this thread and because this trip was all possible due to churning! Flights (on AA), hotels, and rental car all paid for with points.

We stayed 4 nights at the Grand Wailea, arriving on Thursday evening in Maui using my DH’s FNC from his Hilton Aspire, and 3 nights on HH points from his SUB and some from mine also (I had the Surpass and the Hilton biz). The resort was beautiful! The room wasn’t particularly special (except the space in the bathroom was really nice, and the separate tub/shower came in handy too), but the grounds were gorgeous and the pool was awesome. It’s very spread out though, and I thought the layout was a bit confusing until we get used to it. We got daily housekeeping, and with my DH’s diamond status (due to the Aspire) we got $50/day food credit. From my understanding they calculated it in total, and we could use the credit at any location onsite. We got food from Café Kula a couple of nights because we just liked to relax and eat in the room. There was self-parking available, which we used and I believe it was $39/night (from looking online I thought only valet was available for $49/night). Parking was convenient and easy to get in and out of. As I mentioned the pool was very nice, but the slides are only open until 4, and at night there is pretty much no one there. During the day the pool area is very busy though.

This was our first time on Maui and overall we liked it. My DH and I had only been to Oahu previously, and it was a lot different. Very few chain restaurants (from what we could find anyways), not as much shopping as Oahu, and just much less commercial. We did the road to Hana on our first full day, and wish I had planned it on another day (we didn’t have much choice because of the reservation I had for Wai’anapanapa State Park (black sand beach)). We had a 7-10 am ressie at the black sand beach, which was almost at the end of the road, so we kind of did it in reverse. I thought it` was fun and really loved the scenery, but my kids (DS10 and DD8) got tired or being in the car, especially after traveling so much the day before, and my DS got a bit carsick towards the end too. We really liked the black sand beach though, and the views from the top were gorgeous! I wish we’d had more time there. We left the hotel at 5:30 am or 6 am and didn’t get there until around 9 am. We also saw the O’heo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) but didn’t get to swim in the water at the bottom. I wanted to do the hike to the bamboo forest but my kiddos were pretty much done at that point so we didn’t make it. We did also walked through a cave and had lunch at a food truck area and got some yummy banana bread! Saw several beautiful waterfalls as we were driving by, and got some good pictures!

The other days in Maui we mostly relaxed, we spent most of one day at the pool and also at the beach near our hotel. There was some pretty good snorkeling near the shore/rocky area between GW and the Wailea Beach Resort (I think that’s the name) where I saw a sea turtle swimming. That was so exciting! Luckily I had my camera with me and got a good pic. We had pictures done with the onsite photographer at GW (free 45 minute session, each individual picture was I think either $70 or $90, but we got the least expensive package that included 20 digital pictures). Overall were pretty happy with them but I did wish we had done more pictures on the beach instead of all around the resort. I should have spoken up and asked to go ahead and go down to the beach sooner for the pics. Also, we scheduled the session at 5:15, I really wish we had done them about an hour later to catch the gorgeous sunset.

Overall I enjoyed Maui but thought some parts were not as pretty as I expected (mostly referring to the drive from the airport to the GW, which we also drove the same way on the way to Hana and back). I felt like it was more of a locals island and due to some signs/graffiti we felt a little bit unwelcome as tourists. But everyone we spoke to or were around were very friendly so not sure if there’s just certain people there who feel that way? It was just a bit different from when we’d been previously and had felt extremely welcomed. Maui also felt hotter to me than Oahu, not sure if that’s true or just what it felt like.

Oh, we also went on a drive and saw the turtle beach (can’t remember the name, the one on the way back from Hana) which was really neat! We got some great pics but be aware there is a stone wall you’re not supposed to go past to see them (we didn’t, just zoomed in to get the pics).

We flew to Oahu on Monday and the transfer seemed to pretty much take up the whole day (we did get in a little beach/pool time that morning), with having to re-pack, return the rental car, drive to the airport, check in, etc. The Maui airport was definitely a little dated IMO and there was a small food court area but the table/chairs were unavailable (I’m assuming due to covid) so be prepared to try to find a place to eat. Not sure if the island-hopping is worth the time or not, I kind of wish we had just stuck to one island, but on the other hand liked visiting both so I guess I’m torn on whether visiting multiple islands is the best use of time or not. One thing to note is that I booked through American but flew on Hawaiian Airlines from OGG to HNL, and I did have to pay the baggage fees on HA (luckily with my HA member # I only paid $35 instead of $50 for our two checked bags). On American our bags were free due to my Citi biz AA card.

Oahu is like a whole different world, at least HHV is! So huge and so many shops/buildings/people! We were upgraded to a full ocean view instead of a partial, which was nice. We stayed in the Diamond tower, which did have a pretty good ocean view. The pools there were fine, just not near as nice/big as GW. They have 2 kind of bigger slides, but one is only open 11-2, the other from 2-5 (I think). Be prepared that there is pretty much a line for everything there, food, check-in, etc. They also run out of pool towels frequently. You can only use the $30/day food credit at certain locations, which they tell you about at check-in. It is a per-day amount, though, not total. For the relatively low points costs and the 5th night free, I think it’s a good value to stay there, but next time I really want to try Aulani.

We did a 3 hour dolphin boat excursion that was the highlight of the trip for all of us! We saw several spinner dolphins off the side of the boat, including some babies jumping out of the water! We also got to snorkel and see another sea turtle and some pretty fish/reef areas. It was a small boat with only about 12-15 passengers and 2 guides who were really awesome! Really glad we got to do that. I’m also glad it was only 3 hours, I think for our age kids it was about perfect.

We did a few scenic drivers around the island and to the North shore. We tried to get a dole whip from the Dole plantation but the line was super long and we decided not to wait. We did get one from a CBD store in Honolulu though 😊

I almost forgot, Thursday night there was a tsunami watch that totally freaked out this Kansas girl! It was triggered by an underwater 8.2 earthquake in Alaska. Luckily the watch was cancelled after a few tense hours. We were actually watching a local channel with a reporter filming on location at the HHV beach! The watch ended up being cancelled though.

For anyone going soon I would say make sure to get your reservations early, and if there’s dining you really want, try to make those early too. With our kids (at least DD) being a very picky eater, and neither my DH or myself being big fish eaters there wasn’t a ton of restaurants that we were dying to go to. I would have liked to go to the Monkeypod happy hour, but we just never made it. Overall I really wanted this to be a relaxing vacation without a lot of time constraints and that’s what it mostly was. My DD8 is not overly anxious to go back anytime soon, and I think I’m good for a while too. Maybe in 2-3 more years we’ll go again. My kids both say they prefer WDW so that makes me happy 😊

If anyone has any questions please let me know! Sorry to write a novel but hopefully this is helpful for anyone thinking about visiting Hawaii soon!

View attachment 594246View attachment 594247View attachment 594243View attachment 594251View attachment 594256

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your experiences. I agree that the rooms at the GW look kind of blah now (they were lovely back before it was a Hilton, but we had to pay cash back then, too, so nothing is perfect). I love all the pics of you and your lovely family!

soooo can I ask this question here? (I know there are rules about certain subjects right now) SO I posted yesterday about my SWA issues...I ended up on Twitter,where eventually they got sorted properly (even the name switch snafu) but I'm going to be honest here, I haven't flown since Dec 2019.
And I keep reading about flight problems on pretty much every airline, this all is making me anxious. I'm seriously considering bailing on this Sept. trip to see our family(whom we miss so much). Due to the C***d concerns (have serious mask plans anyway etc etc)- the airline schedules constantly changing, the serious glitches in the changes (wrong airports,names etc) I'm just wondering....how do you all feel? IRL experiences? I know a lot of you keep on going, and I need to hear some good stuff..... As it is, I was hoping to do a dual family visit in Sept.- 2 different parts of the country in tandem, that's been scrapped. Now not sure if even 1 will happen.:guilty: Any thoughts?

We traveled about a month ago and had no issues (United), but on my travel days I had a couple of friends who were also traveling and they were both texting me horror stories of flight delays and cancellations and changes. One was stuck trying to get from JFK to DEN and finally gave up on SW and walked over to JB and paid for a same day ticket with them to get home. The other was stuck in FL with SW. I doubt it's only SW, but I do think that it's a bit tricky to fly these days. We were really, really lucky both ways with no issues. I did book nonstop to try to lessen any issues. As for C***d, yeah I'm a bit skittish to travel right now because of that, but it would depend on the destination for me. We also had no unruly passengers - the pilot made a statement about how yes masks are a pain, but it's the law, and we all just want to get to our destination so please don't do anything to jeopardize the flight.

Thoughts on buying tickets now for Disney cruise out of Rome next summer?

That's a tough one. You could do it with miles and then the worst thing that will happen is that you might get stuck with miles (like we are with Flying Blue and 250K). Or if you just use points directly you could get the points back (but for our flights it was a far, far better deal to transfer the points (until it wasn't)). We usually buy the international tickets a year in advance, although have also lucked out finding good seats for points a few months out (or to get DD home during the shutdown, within 24 hrs).

Any BoA credit card experts? I just closed my Alaska Airlines biz card and I'm wondering if this card is churnable? I opened it two years ago and paid the AF last year (for reasons that might or might not have made sense even then). But it's closed now. Should I think about possibly reapplying at some point?

Regarding thoughts on flights now/comfort flying (sorry, lost the quote), we had no delays with our AA flights from ICT to DFW and DFW to OGG. Hawaiian flight from OGG to HNL was on time too. On the way back from HNL to DFW we found out around noon that our 7 pm flight was delayed until 9 pm, and we would miss our connection in DFW. AA automatically rescheduled us on a later flight about 2 hours later. We heard at the airport that the flight was delayed for mandatory crew rest time. So overall not bad for us at all.

We also had flights on SW in June and I don't remember having any issues then. I am a little peeved at SW right now for changing our Oct return flight from MCO to ICT that originally was 1 stop in STL to now having 2 stops, one in MCI (KC), then Denver then ICT. I seriously priced out a rental car from KC to ICT as I think I'd save 2 hours travel time, but it's not worth the cost. Oh well.

So, I'd say for all the bad stories you hear about, there is plenty of travel right now that's going normally. Good luck!

And to comment on the AP classes: they served several good purposes for my kids--smaller, more demanding classes; motivated peers (my kids all went to public, non-magnet high schools so those things were not the case for every class)--but they were mostly useless once they were in college. The tests were a little pricey but worth it for us.

Any BoA credit card experts? I just closed my Alaska Airlines biz card and I'm wondering if this card is churnable? I opened it two years ago and paid the AF last year (for reasons that might or might not have made sense even then). But it's closed now. Should I think about possibly reapplying at some point?

It is. It doesn't have the restrictions the personal card does, which I think is closed for 24 mos before you can get it again.

I'm going to have to figure out a "business" now that I don't have my rental so I can still do biz cards. Tempted to cancel my personal AS and keep the biz but 2 years is a lot so I'd prefer to churn the biz.

r/amex saying cc for gc at Safeway is dead but didn't post where. Comments had a seattle area person saying it was dead 2 weeks ago :sad:

If that's true I don't need to worry about their lack of sales any more. Guess I'll have to eventually try it with a small gc I'd use anyway in case I have to pay with debit. I'd feel too awkward walking if they wouldn't let me use cc. And self check out is a no go at safeway, programmed not to do it, I tried.

r/amex saying cc for gc at Safeway is dead but didn't post where. Comments had a seattle area person saying it was dead 2 weeks ago :sad:

If that's true I don't need to worry about their lack of sales any more. Guess I'll have to eventually try it with a small gc I'd use anyway in case I have to pay with debit. I'd feel too awkward walking if they wouldn't let me use cc. And self check out is a no go at safeway, programmed not to do it, I tried.

My closest Safeway hasn't let me use a CC for a GC for a couple of years. No problem with 2 others that are not too far away, maybe 6-7 miles. But - I haven't seen any GC offers for Visa or MC in a while. Am I just missing them?

Also, since I haven't had an offer, I also haven't been in the stores that were working to know if they are still working.

Pop Tarts: Unfrosted strawberry, very toasted, with butter. Don't knock it till you try it!

CSP Downgrade question: My AF has hit and some of you helped me with suggestions on what to do with it. My only concern is that I do have a car rental coming up in early October, and I do prefer to put the car rental on the CSP if possible for the insurance piece.

My husband currently has his own CSP which we will definitely still have in early October, but it's in his name only and the rental car company (when we used it last month) was pretty strict on making sure HE was the one signing everything because it was HIS name on the card. He is not going to be with me for the October rental.

Is the peace of mind of having the CSP rental insurance worth the $95 annual fee to you, my frequent traveler friends? I don't have any higher redemption rate cards.

So many decisions!

My closest Safeway hasn't let me use a CC for a GC for a couple of years. No problem with 2 others that are not too far away, maybe 6-7 miles. But - I haven't seen any GC offers for Visa or MC in a while. Am I just missing them?

Also, since I haven't had an offer, I also haven't been in the stores that were working to know if they are still working.

You aren't missing them. I check the app every week even though I know DoC will post about it. Looks like the last I did was in April but I think there was one or two, really thinking one and not two, that I skipped because I still had enough and figured I'd just wait for the next one. Oops.

I've been using my disney visa at the chiropractor since everything is 1pt there. I can't use amex there so it's one of the places I always uses a gc. If I knew they'd have one and I could use a cc for it I'd just pay august on my car insurance and then get gc to pay the rest when I, hopefully, get the Aspire in about a month. My ins doesn't take amex. Not sure it's worth the extra cost/hassle to do it for msr if I can meet it otherwise. Which I'm not certain about either, ha!

WA state is implementing a mandatory long term care tax for all employees that aren't self employed and we only get one chance to opt out but to do that we have to have our own plan in place, so I will have a new life insurance w/ ltc rider that I can prepay on at least. As WA is the only state doing this it's currently only payable if you are living in WA and I don't plan to live here forever. Plus I prefer to have my money work for me, but it's all a mess and it will cost me a bit more to do it this way. But so many plans aren't selling here any more because there's been too many applicants and a bunch of other reasons it's a mess.

I am probably not up to date on this, but I understood if you canceled a Chase card the rule of thumb was to wait 30 days for it to clear the system. I understood 4 days wait only applied to product changes. I was stung by this once upon a time with a Southwest card.
Are there recent DPs indicating otherwise?

30 days used to be the recommended time and it's always better to go slower if you can build in the time. But, there have been some DPs on reddit of old accounts being removed from the system after 3 days and you apply on the 4th.

I work in the college field so I thought I’d jump in on the AP talk, in case it’s helpful to anyone:
Colleges aren’t dumb, and they’ve realized that AP credits cost them a lot of money. Fewer and fewer colleges are allowing credit - and when they do, it’s becoming much more restrictive (e.g. a 5 on AP Calc BC only giving you elective credit at one school I know of). Colleges want to know that you’re capable of college-level courses, but they still want you to pay them for those courses.

On the flip side, APs (along with IB) are some of the few high school courses that colleges can know are more rigorous than your average high school course. Because there are universal standards for AP classes, colleges tend to weight AP classes (along with IB classes, and dual enrollment classes) more heavily during the admissions process. I’m aware of some colleges that won’t admit a student if they haven’t taken AP classes that are available to them, even if their GPA and test scores would otherwise make them a standout student.

As it stands, you should expect that taking an AP will likely be favorable for you during admissions, but it probably won’t give you any college credit.

A more affordable routes to college credit may be CLEP tests (another College Board product), which are cheaper than APs but aren’t accepted at all institutions.

If it’s available to you, your best bet is probably dual enrollment, as it will (sometimes) be weighted more heavily by colleges in the admissions process, it will earn you college credit that you should be able to transfer nearly anywhere, and many states cover the cost.

Last edited:
CSP Downgrade question: My AF has hit and some of you helped me with suggestions on what to do with it. My only concern is that I do have a car rental coming up in early October, and I do prefer to put the car rental on the CSP if possible for the insurance piece.

My husband currently has his own CSP which we will definitely still have in early October, but it's in his name only and the rental car company (when we used it last month) was pretty strict on making sure HE was the one signing everything because it was HIS name on the card. He is not going to be with me for the October rental.

Is the peace of mind of having the CSP rental insurance worth the $95 annual fee to you, my frequent traveler friends? I don't have any higher redemption rate cards.

So many decisions!
The rental insurance is definitely worth it to me and one of the biggest reasons I keep the CSP and pay the fee every year. Second option, I know it's sowewhat frowned upon here, but what about downgrading yours and having your husband make you an AU on his? Even if he removed you after the rental, that way you're covered for that without paying the AF.

As a HS teacher, to chime in on the AP thing....honestly I think it's stupid. I was pretty smart (graduated #8, went to UM), we weren't loading up our schedules w/ AP back then (1994, LOL). And even to take them, you had to take Bio, Bio 2 then AP Bio, Gov, then AP Gov, etc. Now it seems 85% of my students are in AP classes. How is it AP if EVERYONE is taking it? My HS has AP, Honors, and "regular". I can tell you the regular students tend to be our special ed students because somehow EVERYONE is in honors or AP.

Furthermore, lots of kids take AP, but don't bother with the test since school don't give credits unless you score a 4 or 5. And I can tell you, these AP students are by NO MEANS AP! They can't write a simple essay for me. I want to poke my eyes out when I try to read essays. I don't know how English teachers do it. It must involve LOTS of wine! Perhaps they think since I'm an Engineering/Architecture teacher that I don't understand how to read/grade an essay. I love to remind them, I do have 3 degrees, so game on, LOL.

How are you factoring in a "loss" of 150k IHG? IHG will always have a baseline offer of around 80-100k points (at least recently). So, it's really a measurement of an anticipated drop of CSP's bonus offer vs. IHG's bonus offer. I would guess CSP goes back to 60k at some point and I would take 40k UR over 50-80k IHG for the simple reason that Hyatt is still based on categories and not dynamic pricing and you can get some really good value there. Additionally, you can cash out UR at 1.5 cpp (Pay Yourself Back) on the UR that you cannot do with IHG if you change travel plans.

As for your bolded question, recent data points suggest 4 days between closing a card and reapplying online. I would make certain it has a zero balance when you close it out. No need to lower limit for auto approval purposes, but you might want to move that credit to another card if you want to have the ability to shift credit on a recon call.

I would lose out on the 150k IHG points because the MDD would put me at 5/24. So I would have to wait until May 2022 to churn the card. Considering I use them for summer vacations with my kids, I'd be cutting it close, and likely not able to get the points to post before any summer 2022 trip.

Hyatt is worthless to me. I don't travel where Hyatts are. TBH, I think I've stayed in 1 in the last 4 years. And that was only because it was the closest to the airport, LOL.

But good to know I only need to wait 4 days.

Went to the orthopedist today... I am healing cleanly and I get to wean off my sling! It will be another six weeks before my shoulder is completely healed. I start PT Thursday and I am worried about that because it is going to hurt. I can type normally now!

I'm still working on my CSP SUB. :crutches: :rolleyes2

Oh and I went to Cheddar's on Saturday and paid with the Zoosk terminal. Visa tap to pay is doing a $3 off promo. I'll assume this works at any restaurant. Just passing along if it wasn't shared already. Sorry I won't be able to catch up!

I received an offer on my CSP for 10% off at shopDisney.com, up to $5 back. Would this be beneficial (or even usable) for buying Disney gift cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter