I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaii review, part 2 -
We moved from Wailea Beach Villas to Hyatt Residence Club in Ka’anapali yesterday, so this is our second night here.

Pros - the view is INSANE. Like picture postcard palm trees waves crashing blue ocean insane. Way better than our view in Wailea, where the ocean was off in the distance a bit. The pool here is also fantastic - lots of nooks and crannies, and shallow ledges to put lounge chairs on. There’s a good pool bar with good drinks. Food too, but we haven’t gotten anything from there.

My kids said the fitness center is really nice and better than the one at Wailea Beach Villas, which I thought was great.

They’ve also got an outdoor basketball hoop and pickleball court, and that use that space for yoga in the mornings. For those into resort-y activities, way more of those than at Wailea Beach Villas (where there really weren’t any).

Our room is REALLY nice. Not Wailea Beach Villas nice, but if that’s a 10, this is a 9. The living/dining/kitchen areas are smaller than WBV, but plenty of space for us. The two bedrooms each have a king bed, which I found to be a weird configuration. The “guest” room also has a pull out twin sleeper chair which my 15-year-old son said was comfortable. Oh! And the master has an ocean view, which was not the case at WBV. The balconies are big, with lots of comfy seats, but not much privacy, as you can see lots of other balconies from yours.

Cons - people, people, PEOPLE. This area is general seems so much more crowded than Wailea. And while the pools were small at WBV, we never saw even 1/3 of the pool loungers filled. Here, every lounger is filled, with lots of “chair hogs” holding spaces they aren’t actively using.

The ocean is beautiful here, but the beach is LAME. Again, we are from NC and are used to big wide beaches. Here, if there’s 10 feet of sand before the water, I’d be surprised, and it’s at a super steep angle. Same is true of the Hyatt and the Marriott, which are on either side of us. Farther north, where the properties look a bit more dated, the beach is MUCH wider. Since there’s so little sand, they have beach loungers set up on grass behind the sand. You have to reserve them and pay for them - no free beach chair and umbrellas like at WBV. I believe the sign said $100 for the uncovered ones and $125 for the covered ones (I assume that’s per day).

Not many food options (one step up from a “grab and go,” but not quite to a Disney QS level). BUT, the Hyatt right next door has several options, including a pool bar restaurant (Umalu), that’s waaaaay better than you’d expect for a pool bar, AND which had no wait for dinner 🙌🙌). Lots of food options close-ish, but juuuust far enough that you may prefer to drive.

Location - the drive to many excursions is a lot farther from Ka’anapali than Wailea. I’d say it’s a good 30 minutes farther to things like the airport, Haleakala Crater, Pa’ia, etc.

I really can’t decide what I prefer between here and WBV. They both have their pros and cons, and I guess I’m glad we did this “split stay” so we could experience both. And THANK YOU to @WardFam for convincing me to go with Hyatt Residence Club over the regular Hyatt - that was DEFINITELY the right call for our family!

Oh! And data point - I booked this through Chase travel portal using URs, but I was able to add my Hyatt number to the reservation at the front desk. Here’s hoping I get points for the stay, because we’ve had LOTS of room charges!

Please help, Marriott point redemption gurus! Is redeeming 168k Bonvoy points for a stay that would cost $1800 a decent value for a redemption? Resort fees and taxes are only $110 for the stay.

I think it's decent. The push is on with most hotel chains to reduce value for point redemptions, so if you can get .01 or better on Marriott points you are doing okay.

I just used 320k Marriott points 3 weeks ago to book a room in Hawaii for my son for his honeymoon. They got the hotel they wanted and the room they wanted. They had already picked it before I got involved and offered to use points.

Its The Westin Maui with a premium high floor ocean front room in Ka'anapali. I can't remember the exact cash value at the time, but a resort view is now showing at $5277 with taxes and all fees. The room they will have is no longer available on points or cash and I believe the cash price has jumped up on the lesser rooms. I'm going to dump my suite night awards onto it as well, but I'm not sure if they will help. I have 10 (for 21 and 22) so not a big deal and this is the time to make things special. We booked 3 weeks ago and the first room choice was 280k and while talking about it, the choice disappeared, so we went from oceanfront to premium oceanfront at 320K.

I think we are in a 'if you snooze you lose' situation right now. Of the programs I belong to (IHG, Hyatt, Marriott, Radisson) the only one not jumping up their higher value redemptions is Hyatt and I think that hold is ending soon. I belong to a few other programs also but don't have significant points (or CC's) in any others.

And, I still can't get them motivated to get a few cards! They are saving for the house and are great candidates for a few UR's right now, or MR's or whatever.

Just an FYI for those that might be interested, The Wild Dunes Resort on Isle of Palms near Charleston is now bookable through Hyatt. Category 5 but I couldn't get any points rooms to pull up, but I didn't check a lot of dates.

I’m assuming we won’t be able to swim and the splash pad looks amazing but I don’t even care lol. I LOVE the two bathrooms in the studio. Our plan is to put DS’s pack n play in one of the bathrooms so he gets a nice dark room

The bathroom that a pack and play would fit in is the one with the toilet in it, and it is right by the door. The other bathroom closer to the bedroom area is much smaller with a vanity and shower. I don't think a pack and play would fit in there.

The bedroom area is pitch dark with the drapes closed, at least when I've stayed at Poly.

If they are still doing it and if you are interested, this is the time to have the 'Ohana restaurant food delivered. It is called Twilight Feast and there is a lot of food, at least when we did it.

The regular rooms at Poly are opening on July 19th, according to this website, so I would hope the restaurants and pools would be back up as well.

Did you get a standard or lakeview room? I've had both and I'm a bit weird in that I've stayed at Poly so often (first visit over 30 years ago and every year until I bought DVC in 2000) plus several times since then, that I prefer the convenience of being close to the parking lot. But if you can, ask for the highest floor as the Bungalows may block the water view on ground level in the lakeview rooms.

And parking - the DVC lot area is right outside Pago Pago so no fighting for a spot in the lot in front of the hotel. So much more convenient.

Also, unless things have changed, Poly shares Grand Floridian's fitness center. It's right near the DVC building over there and the first area you come to after the wedding pavilion on the walking path. The spa is in the same building if you want to pamper a bit.

They used to do a torch lighting ceremony at dark or maybe around 5 or 6 but not sure of they will still have it. So many cuts to the little things.

Just an FYI for those that might be interested, The Wild Dunes Resort on Isle of Palms near Charleston is now bookable through Hyatt. Category 5 but I couldn't get any points rooms to pull up, but I didn't check a lot of dates.
I had Wild Dunes originally booked for July 4th week until I discovered we couldn’t bring Puggles and decided on Aruba instead.

@havaneselover How is your sweet baby girl today?
Thank you for asking. She is back to herself. I fed her roasted rabbit dog food and added salmon and she ate it which is good. And if she has another seizure I will at least know what is going on. Sort of scared to leave her alone but I really have no where to go.

I have been looking since May to stay at Poly Nov/Dec and there has been NOTHING! I'm thinking
of switching trip to Jan. With all the changes going on I'm going to keep a close eye on WDW rooms.
Congrats!
We originally wanted December but there’s just nothing available so we switched to January. We may drive over for the day in December to see Christmas decorations at mk or do a 1 night stay somewhere offsite

The bathroom that a pack and play would fit in is the one with the toilet in it, and it is right by the door. The other bathroom closer to the bedroom area is much smaller with a vanity and shower. I don't think a pack and play would fit in there.

The bedroom area is pitch dark with the drapes closed, at least when I've stayed at Poly.

If they are still doing it and if you are interested, this is the time to have the 'Ohana restaurant food delivered. It is called Twilight Feast and there is a lot of food, at least when we did it.

The regular rooms at Poly are opening on July 19th, according to this website, so I would hope the restaurants and pools would be back up as well.

Did you get a standard or lakeview room? I've had both and I'm a bit weird in that I've stayed at Poly so often (first visit over 30 years ago and every year until I bought DVC in 2000) plus several times since then, that I prefer the convenience of being close to the parking lot. But if you can, ask for the highest floor as the Bungalows may block the water view on ground level in the lakeview rooms.

And parking - the DVC lot area is right outside Pago Pago so no fighting for a spot in the lot in front of the hotel. So much more convenient.

Also, unless things have changed, Poly shares Grand Floridian's fitness center. It's right near the DVC building over there and the first area you come to after the wedding pavilion on the walking path. The spa is in the same building if you want to pamper a bit.

They used to do a torch lighting ceremony at dark or maybe around 5 or 6 but not sure of they will still have it. So many cuts to the little things.
We don’t mind putting him in the bathroom with the toilet and he has a loud sound machine. But if that doesn’t work out Dh and I could always sit out on the balcony. It was mainly just so we could use the room while Ds sleeps.

I’m assuming the pool will be too cold for us in January but Ds would love the splash pad. We booked a standard room.

We don’t mind putting him in the bathroom with the toilet and he has a loud sound machine. But if that doesn’t work out Dh and I could always sit out on the balcony. It was mainly just so we could use the room while Ds sleeps.

I’m assuming the pool will be too cold for us in January but Ds would love the splash pad. We booked a standard room.

I was just thinking that since there is only one actual toilet that you would not have access since you might wake him up. <g>

Florida girl, lol! You watch those Northerner's will keep that pool very busy!

He may not want naps by January. A lot of toddlers get to the point where napping is a thing they only do in cars or strollers (long boring rides) once they get a bit older and he will be heading for 2 by then.

I know your reservations are set, but we ate dinner last night at Humble Market Kitchin (a Roy Yamaguchi restaurant at Wailea Beach Resort - the Marriott - which is easy walking distance). It was definitely expensive (one of our two splurge meals on this trip), but it might have been one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten! The appetizers are particularly fantastic, and two would make a very filling (and not too crazy expensive) meal.
Now I wish we had gone in there when we stayed! next time....

Yes, the migration is the key time for Blackwater and in October/November. Even early spring, but definitely a fly/mosquito fest in summer. This time of year I watch the webcam and that's about it. They warn you on the website to come prepared with insect repellant but I prefer to stay away until they are gone. Same with Assateague in summer - if you stay on the beach you are fine but get on the short trails and get eaten alive.

I rarely do crab cakes unless I make them myself. I don't care for a lot of filler or big onion chunks. But I did get to have crabs in the shell for 4th of July as son in law had a bushel at his house on Sunday. He hired a caterer to do a spread because none of us want to cook! Still, we were eating outside and something was biting at my ankles. So I retreated to inside. But the food was great and I enjoyed myself.
We camped at Assateague Natl seashore about 10 years ago.... it was early May....and I've never seen so many insects in my entire life! I shudder to think what the bugs are like in summer there.... Early May was ok with bugspray

Planning on attempting the CSR/CSP MDD next week. Been doing some research on the process, but just wanted to see if anyone here has any tips.

My previous bonus on the CSP was in May of 2017 so I am just outside the 48 month window. Is there any reason to wait longer?

I opened a CIU on 5/1/21. Is it too soon to be applying for another card? I don't want to risk waiting and the CSP SUB is lowered.

Thanks!

We camped at Assateague Natl seashore about 10 years ago.... it was early May....and I've never seen so many insects in my entire life! I shudder to think what the bugs are like in summer there.... Early May was ok with bugspray

It's actually worse on the National Park side than it is in the State campground.

I was just thinking that since there is only one actual toilet that you would not have access since you might wake him up. <g>

He may not want naps by January. A lot of toddlers get to the point where napping is a thing they only do in cars or strollers (long boring rides) once they get a bit older and he will be heading for 2 by then.
And I have a 4 year old who still naps 3 hours a day haha. I’m afraid she’s gonna loose it at summer camp where they don’t nap.

Every kid is different

Planning on attempting the CSR/CSP MDD next week. Been doing some research on the process, but just wanted to see if anyone here has any tips.

My previous bonus on the CSP was in May of 2017 so I am just outside the 48 month window. Is there any reason to wait longer?

I opened a CIU on 5/1/21. Is it too soon to be applying for another card? I don't want to risk waiting and the CSP SUB is lowered.

Thanks!
It’s a bit soon to apply. Standard recommendation is every 3 months, but I think if you make sure your available credit among your Chase cards is pretty low you’ll be fine. I personally lowered my available credit to around 20% of household income before applying. They approved me for a $20k + CSP so I lowered that down to $10k just to keep my available credit sub 30%. Hope that helps.

Can any of you twitter-savvy folks help me draft a nasty tweet for Razer?

Long story made short: bought dd a brand new Razer Blade in December. In early January the screen starts flickering, then the computer powers off. This happened a few times a day. She tries to work with Razer tech support (seriously awful), but no resolution found. Since she needed the computer for school she kept it until May (it even powered off during her physics mid-term). Send it to Toronto repair facility -- they return it 9 days later with the same problem. Finally get at RMA to send to AZ. Gets stuck in TN because customs needed Razer to provide them with a Tax ID (took them 3.5 weeks). Finally gets to AZ, where they wait 1.5 weeks to determine the issue can't be fixed. They offer to send a used/'refurbished' replacement. I DM'd Razer on Twitter but they refused to deal with me -- all I got were canned messages ("we are sorry to hear this and will pass on your remarks to our CS team", "we have passed your message along and they assured us they have received it", etc., etc. ). I asked for someone to call me repeatedly, but never got a phone call or contacted by anyone on the CS. Dd tells them that she does not want a used laptop, either new, repair or replace (with new) the one that she sent (it cannot be repaired). Then yesterday they send shipping notice. We have no idea what they shipped (defective laptop or used replacement). Either way we don't want it. I tried to file a dispute with AmEx (gold), but Razer fought back saying returns aren't accepted past 14 days and per their T&Cs they can send a used computer as a suitable replacement. I want to sent them a nasty tweet and I will also post on r/Razer (which they seem to monitor). Help!

We talked about going to the lobby or something if we have to use the bathroom lol. I would totally swim but I’d worry about Ds being too cold. He’d probably have to stay in the water the whole time which I doubt he’ll do lol. He likes to run around the outside of the pool.

I sure hope he’s still taking a nap in January. That’s way too early to drop a nap. Most of the kids I’ve known have dropped closer to 3 or even 4. I guess we’ll see how he is closer to the trip. He’s currently still taking 2 but he’s getting close to transitioning to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter