I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power has been out for over an hour due to a thunderstorm that moved through. Good thing I was planning a cold salad for dinner! I’ve been working my way through the Harry Potter books for the last month, so tonight I will read book 7 by candlelight. There is so much in the last books that wasn’t in the movies, I’m enjoying them.

Last edited:
OMG, my head is spinning reading my closing documents on my refi! I thought we were rolling all my costs in, but it's saying I need $6k to close!!!! I mean I have it, and I know I have $4k in my escrow on my current mortgage I'm assuming I get back. But wasn't looking to drop $6k right now. UGH. I need to figure this all out.
When are you closing? I have had 3 loans this week change loan amounts, one of them after the closing disclosure was signed, to avoid cash to close.

@pinkxray I quit 21 years ago when our oldest DD was born. I wasn't planning to stay home since I got my MBA, but couldn't leave her in daycare for 10+ hours a day. I have never regretted it. I do think staying current in your field or working part-time will be a great solution. There is no perfect solution or a solution that works for everyone. Just enjoy the time you have to spend with your kids!

So interesting to read the feedback on staying home with children. I totally agree that it’s a personal decision and no one “right” answer.

Thank you all for being so encouraging. I worked part-time teaching until our third son was born. In the intervening years, I’ve taken some maternity leave jobs and worked part-time at a local newspaper for a few years. For the last six years, I’ve served on our school board and volunteered in several organizations. I enjoy having something that’s mine that isn’t child care, but I truly can’t see myself working full time. Dh’s job affords us that opportunity (salary) and is also the reason (how much time he must devote to it) why I don’t think our family would work well if I was working full time. I’ve had such mixed feelings about this, as I’ve always thought I “should” earn money for support of our family.

To hear several of you share your experiences, and many say you never went back or can’t see yourself in the full time paid workforce, helped me see I’m not all alone in left field with these thoughts.

Thanks for being an encouraging corner of the internet!

So interesting to read the feedback on staying home with children. I totally agree that it’s a personal decision and no one “right” answer.

Thank you all for being so encouraging. I worked part-time teaching until our third son was born. In the intervening years, I’ve taken some maternity leave jobs and worked part-time at a local newspaper for a few years. For the last six years, I’ve served on our school board and volunteered in several organizations. I enjoy having something that’s mine that isn’t child care, but I truly can’t see myself working full time. Dh’s job affords us that opportunity (salary) and is also the reason (how much time he must devote to it) why I don’t think our family would work well if I was working full time. I’ve had such mixed feelings about this, as I’ve always thought I “should” earn money for support of our family.

To hear several of you share your experiences, and many say you never went back or can’t see yourself in the full time paid workforce, helped me see I’m not all alone in left field with these thoughts.

Thanks for being an encouraging corner of the internet!

It's a very personal decision. If I could have kept my job part time I would have, but it was full time (well, I had negotiated down to 36 hrs/week but that's the best I could do) or nothing.

When are you closing? I have had 3 loans this week change loan amounts, one of them after the closing disclosure was signed, to avoid cash to close.
Lol. I did the opposite. I didn’t want to roll closing costs into the loan and told them but they forgot. They fixed it two days before closing but thought I was crazy.

depends on your card line and how you use your cards... CIP is the only chase card(that i know of) with phone insurance. I know a lot of ppl find the $95 AF worth keeping this around.
Was just discussing this with DS...he's about to buy a phone ( a big deal in our house!) and he has the CIP. Normally I'd have advised him to PC the CIP to avoid the AF, but it seems wise for him to keep it for the phone insurance..does this sound right?

It looks like BA will give you a voucher if you book by 9/30 for trips through next August. Thinking about booking my tickets from my Norway/Icelenad cruise using UR points. Cruise is 7/31/2021. Only currently have 280k UR points and I need three tickets so I will need economy tickets (fine for dd and me but ds isn't tiny). Any suggestions/advice, things I'm not thinking of? I do see AA and United are also waving change fees, but BA's policy looks better for my situation.

Purging the credit cards. A few weeks ago, canceled citi AA biz and barclays AA biz. Today I canceled Amex Hilton Biz and Amex Marriott Biz. Popular month for annual fees for me. Hilton Aspire fee also due, but kept that one. Hilton Biz seemed redundant and I don't want to pay $125 for Marriott. I probably would have kept it if it was still under $100 but I rarely stay in Marriotts so... less to keep track of. Haven't had a MSR in a while though, starting to miss it.

I'm staying at a Marriott property next weekend when I drop dd off at university. I have the spend $200.00 save $50.00 offer on my AmEx platinum; however I am collecting Marriott points again (I have a 'plan C' stay at the JW Marriott Maldives booked in May and I'm almost 100,000 points short of what I need). Should I make use of the AmEx offer or use my (Cdn) Marriott card and get 6x points? Usually I'd be all over the platinum offer, but 6x points is attractive given how many points I need between now and May.

After this stay I will be a Marriott platinum (I should be now but the Perry Lane didn't credit one of my nights stays in June and since I booked through AmEx FHR I can't get them to credit me the night towards status).

I'm staying at a Marriott property next weekend when I drop dd off at university. I have the spend $200.00 save $50.00 offer on my AmEx platinum; however I am collecting Marriott points again (I have a 'plan C' stay at the JW Marriott Maldives booked in May and I'm almost 100,000 points short of what I need). Should I make use of the AmEx offer or use my (Cdn) Marriott card and get 6x points? Usually I'd be all over the platinum offer, but 6x points is attractive given how many points I need between now and May.

After this stay I will be a Marriott platinum (I should be now but the Perry Lane didn't credit one of my nights stays in June and since I booked through AmEx FHR I can't get them to credit me the night towards status).

see if u can split payment. not sure what marriott card you have but its 10x with the marriott amex offer.

see if u can split payment. not sure what marriott card you have but its 10x with the marriott amex offer.
I have the Cdn AmEx Marriott card. I checked and it's 5x points on Marriott stays (no Marriott offers on this card). The room is around $400.00 including taxes, so the stay would give me 2,000 points. Doesn't seem like much, but I need to get as many organic points as possible. I'm even thinking I'll go back for another night to visit dd before the current promo is over, then grab a throwaway room at the lowest rate possible to collect the bonus points for 3 stays (I found a few Marriott hotels on the way home that are under $100.00 / night -- I'd check-in, get keys and drive home).

Any moms that gave up working full time when you had kids? I am really thinking about giving up my full time position and working 2-3 days a week.
We will be fine with the loss in income, however vacations will take a big hit. I did just buy a small dvc contract with cash so at least that’s all paid for.
I’m just having a hard time making the jump. I am so used to having a decent paycheck. But kids are only small once and there will always be full time later on down the road...
Guess I just need some positive stories to motivate me.
I worked FT (and sometimes a PT job as well) until we adopted DS. It was a 4 year process so for over a year, we put 1/2 of each of my paychecks into savings to make sure we could live on 1/2. Once I took LOA for the adoption I went back at 4 five hour days and my parents or sister watched DS. DS is now 11, and last year I picked up an extra day, going to 5 five hour days. Personally I preferred the shorter days as I was able to always pick DS up from school, no after care or relying on other people. DHs schedule allowed him to drop DS at school each day. It has worked well for us. Vacations are actually more than previous because A. I want DS to see more of the country/world and B. I have this hobby to finance most of our vacations

Happy Friday... I played the fastest 18 holes of golf of my entire life today. Dad and I were first ones on the course at 7:15 this morning. We finished 18 holes by 9:45 in a sweet little 2 1/2 hours! We played the front tees since it makes for a more fun round and shorter (easier) shots so that certainly helps.

Even crazier... it was the best round of golf of my life! I shot a 79!! (For comparison purposes, I typically shoot in the low/mid 90s). 4,800 yards will help that a bit though, compared to a 5,800 yard length I might play when out for work purposes. And I realize this means nothing to most of you... but it was a good day! And it has rained and poured since about 11:30 so that makes me even happier that we snuck in our round!

But... the sad news is I'm sitting here in my Green and White gear...with no football game to attend. They delayed the start of the season by 2 weeks (this was a month ago) but it's still sad to think that this should be the first week of the season.

Hi, I need some advice. I’m new to credit cards & I’m looking to build my history. I checked my credit & I have a good score. My name is on 2 of my parents cards. I’ll have a new job next month. I’m looking at 2 credit cards in particular right now. The Chase freedom unlimited, & the Discover It cash back. I’ve seen both talked about. Just looking for some thoughts. TIA!

But... the sad news is I'm sitting here in my Green and White gear...with no football game to attend. They delayed the start of the season by 2 weeks (this was a month ago) but it's still sad to think that this should be the first week of the season.
Very Sad Indeed! Not only did they delay the start of the season in PA, the governor has decreed there will be no spectators at the games :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter