• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I-4 Question

Kevenswife2

WDW vs DLR...impossible to choose a favorite!
I'm not a fan of the fast pace and lane jockeying which goes on on the major interstates.

With that being said, would you drive from Daytona to Disney on I-4 on a Thursday around 2:00 in the afternoon? Or would the better choice be 95 South to 528 East? :car:

I
I'm not a fan of the fast pace and lane jockeying which goes on on the major interstates.

With that being said, would you drive from Daytona to Disney on I-4 on a Thursday around 2:00 in the afternoon? Or would the better choice be 95 South to 528 East? :car:
I drive I4 every day. Take the 528. I4 is under major construction and it's a disaster.

A third option is Interstate 4 to the Central Florida Greeneway (SR 417). That route avoids I-4 construction and is slightly shorter than I-95 to the Beachline Expressway (SR 528). It's the route highlighted in blue on the Google Maps image below.

daytona-disney-googlemaps.jpg

Link to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Day...57b3b08!2m2!1d-81.536869!2d28.3862295!3e0!5i1

• All Interstate 4: About 75 miles - no tolls
  • I-4 to Central Florida Greeneway: About 87 miles - involves tolls
  • I-95 to Beachline Expressway: About 104 miles - involves tolls

I'd recommend you check a site like this a few times b4 your planned drive

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/traffic

were you to look right now you'd see that both 4 and 417 have significant problems on the north side, while 528 to 417 on the south side is clear ...

I'd not recommend the route shown immediately above .... if you get on 417 STAY on 417 and pass SOUTH of the airport. 417 will rejoin 4 at WDW . . . the I-4 & 528 interchange is one of the main problem areas

I-4 is a real mess on an average day and worth avoiding IMO

Last edited:

A third option is Interstate 4 to the Central Florida Greeneway (SR 417). That route avoids I-4 construction and is slightly shorter than I-95 to the Beachline Expressway (SR 528). It's the route highlighted in blue on the Google Maps image below.

Link to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Day...57b3b08!2m2!1d-81.536869!2d28.3862295!3e0!5i1

Coming off 417 at 408 dumps you into the middle of the I-4 construction. I would stay on 417 all the way to WDW.
upload_2018-10-4_8-45-12.png

I-4 is by far the most direct route and the shortest distance. It is also a toll-free highway.

I advise against using 417 unless you are okay with paying tolls and adding unnecessary extra miles to your travels.

As far as construction, pretty much all of Central Florida's roadways are under construction, the city is going through a major infrastructure upgrade to keep up with the booming population, roadwork is virtually unavoidable at the present time.

Last edited:

This is our absolute favorite, we've been using it since it opened. It's much busier now but so much less stressful. You drive it all the way to WDW or turn right onto International Drive. You need about $8 each way for tolls or you can buy a SunPass at the Florida Welcome Center and fill it up before you continue down I-95.

Just don't listen to your GPS/Google Maps if you go this way. It will constantly tell you to turn around to go back to I-4, until it finally gives in and accepts it's fate. Just know you don't have to exit or turn off anywhere until the end of the road.

Just don't listen to your GPS/Google Maps if you go this way. It will constantly tell you to turn around to go back to I-4, until it finally gives in and accepts it's fate. Just know you don't have to exit or turn off anywhere until the end of the road.

That's funny. I tried to force Google Maps to show the route Joelkfla provided but it kept sending me back to I-4 at each possible east-west route.

Yes, I-4 is very bad with all the construction, but we still drive it each trip with our motor home. We plan our trip to get to the I-4 & I-95 exchange about 8:30 AM on a weekday and the traffic is still bad, but doable. We do the same for our return trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter