• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HydroFlask has changed it's policy for the worse

It's called remembering those who help to get where you are...I'm sure even Starbucks has a list of people and companies who have helped them grow...companies don't grow without help...

How many people would have reacted this way if Kevin hadn't responded the way he did and told people to write to the company?

How many people would have reacted this way if Kevin hadn't responded the way he did and told people to write to the company?

I wouldn't have thought a thing about it. I followed this thread since the beginning and was disappointed in his response from the beginning.

First, they aren't saying you can't buy the product, they are saying you are no longer on the distribution list.

While you may feel involvement with the sale of several thousand units, that is an extremely small number when you consider their other distributors. That several thousand may be one order for REI, LL Bean, the PGA Superstore, Lukes Locker, Golfsmith, or the other stores they use.

At the end of the day, it is a business decision. I've seen posts in this thread that say it's sad that they don't appreciate the people that made them a success or that they will never buy or recommend them again. While I don't know the entire Hydroflask back story, I have a feeling that they didn't get into the big stores because of the thousands that were sold by a travel company in Florida.

Lastly, I find it extremely poor form to post his information and ask the people here to "let him know what you think". That screams of a petulant child not getting his way and reaffirms his decision that Dreams is not the type of company he wishes to be aligned with.

Again, saying that Dreams is the reason they are where they are today is like me saying that Starbucks is Starbucks because I visited there a lot in college. Dreams didn't help them win best new product at the PGA Merchandise show in 2012 or get into REI or LL Bean.

I mean, someone just posted on their Facebook page that Dreams has "hundreds of thousands" of people who will now not buy their product and said that they are going to need luck due to this decision. I'm sorry but I have a very difficult time believing that.

They made a business decision, pure and simple. I will agree, they could have sent out the information a better way. If you choose not to buy their product or voice that opinion to others, that's fine. Just please don't be under the illusion it is going to hurt them one bit.

I wouldn't have thought a thing about it. I followed this thread since the beginning and was disappointed in his response from the beginning.

Everything you have said is speculation.

Pure and simple speculation....not fact.

I am not sure why, if you were disappointed in me from the beginning, that you have continued to read or participate.

While you have every right to voice your opinion, I have every right to disagree with it...as do others.

As for behaving like a petulant child....well...I gave the company a "huge boost" at one time (according to the call from the President of the company) so I feel his supporters have a right to let him know what they think of the decision made.

See how that works? Everyone is allowed an opinion.

Actually, this happens in real life. The most expensive, newest Birkin bags aren't available to just anyone at the consumer level. Same thing with certain cars. That latest hot ipo? You'd better hope you're on the right list with your broker to be allowed to buy.

Anyone can buy a Birkin. You may have to wait, but you can buy one.

This isn't supply and demand.

I'm a faithful listener of the Dis Unplugged but never post to this forum - today I will respond.

I was shocked when I heard what Kevin had to say, so shocked that I paused the show and brought it to my husband to listen to. I agree with Kevin, the actions of HydroFlask is appalling! I will not purchase anymore HydroFlasks and I will tell everyone what their business model has become.

I have read nearly all the entries on this thread and I know it has been discussed at length but I feel the need to state my point.

I know we are talking about a water bottle but for me it's the principle of the matter. As a company, no matter how successful you become, you cannot forget the people who made you who you are today. Also, be careful because there is always another person/company that can replace you.

I for one will never use my HydroFlask again and will seek a competitor to give my business to.

Thank you Kevin for bringing this to my attention and I will phone/email and Fax Mr. Matt Jones my sentiment.

Rant over.

That's fine, so instead of Kevin being told he could no longer buy them, he should have been referred to the rep/distributor for his region that would now handle those orders. From what Kevin has posted (not to put words into his mouth), he wasn't told he couldn't buy them directly. He was told he couldn't buy them at all. That doesn't happen at a car dealer or a grocery store, to use his examples.

He was told Dreams would no longer be a distributor, not that Kevin could no longer buy Hydroflasks. While it would be nice to hear from Hydroflask exactly why they chose not to use Dreams as a distributor anymore, it's entirely possible we'll never know, just as we'll never know why Shaun Thompson (or any of the other former podcasters) is no longer on the podcast.

The Swan and Dolphin hotels were early sponsors of either Dreams or the podcast or both (I'm not sure of the exact details), but we don't all stay at the Swan or Dolphin. I understand that Dreams is disappointed not to be a distributor any longer, but I'm not even sure why it's so important to them. They're not in the business of selling water bottles. When was the last time Hydroflask was in the "my favorite thing" list? (This is a serious question, not a rhetorical or snarky one. I don't remember hearing them listed, but I might have been focusing on the big prize and hoping one of my friends on the cruise won it.)

He was told Dreams would no longer be a distributor, not that Kevin could no longer buy Hydroflasks. While it would be nice to hear from Hydroflask exactly why they chose not to use Dreams as a distributor anymore, it's entirely possible we'll never know, just as we'll never know why Shaun Thompson (or any of the other former podcasters) is no longer on the podcast.

The Swan and Dolphin hotels were early sponsors of either Dreams or the podcast or both (I'm not sure of the exact details), but we don't all stay at the Swan or Dolphin. I understand that Dreams is disappointed not to be a distributor any longer, but I'm not even sure why it's so important to them. They're not in the business of selling water bottles. When was the last time Hydroflask was in the "my favorite thing" list? (This is a serious question, not a rhetorical or snarky one. I don't remember hearing them listed, but I might have been focusing on the big prize and hoping one of my friends on the cruise won it.)

Would you listen to the show if we repeated ourselves?

Are you really basing your opinion on the fact that we don't mention this as our "favorite thing"? I gave away a Kindle as one of my favorite things years ago. It's still one of my favorite things...but I would never use it again.

I never asked to be a "distributor". I asked to buy 1500 units. I was told no. You can't buy them. Thats different to me.

As for why someone is or isn't on the podcast....it's just not the same thing at all and I am sure you are aware of that.

The Swan/ Dolphin is an advertiser. They pay for the right to advertise. Again...something entirely different...and I'm sure you are aware of that too.

First, they aren't saying you can't buy the product, they are saying you are no longer on the distribution list.

While you may feel involvement with the sale of several thousand units, that is an extremely small number when you consider their other distributors. That several thousand may be one order for REI, LL Bean, the PGA Superstore, Lukes Locker, Golfsmith, or the other stores they use.

At the end of the day, it is a business decision. I've seen posts in this thread that say it's sad that they don't appreciate the people that made them a success or that they will never buy or recommend them again. While I don't know the entire Hydroflask back story, I have a feeling that they didn't get into the big stores because of the thousands that were sold by a travel company in Florida.

Lastly, I find it extremely poor form to post his information and ask the people here to "let him know what you think". That screams of a petulant child not getting his way and reaffirms his decision that Dreams is not the type of company he wishes to be aligned with.

I worked for a small Marine Electronics Company for several years and many of the big boys in the industry sold to us even if we were not a huge catalog chain. Hydro Flask could have tiered their reseller discount to allow for Dreams to purchase these. For a company that says it has a heart by giving a 5% contribution to charities, it is not fostering support for small businesses. They never even told Dreams what level they would need to buy into as a reseller. I find that pretty tacky for a company that is small potatoes in the thermos market. Kevin is totally in the right by sharing his disgust and encouraging all of us that supported Hydro Flask in the past to let them know how we feel.

Maybe I should explain something.

I never asked to distribute HydroFlasks.

I followed HydroFlask's pricing structure.

If I bought one...it was x dollars.

if I bought 100, the price per unit was considerably lower.

If I bought 1000, it was lower still.

We paid HydroFlask to put our brand on them. Again...at our cost. This was available to anyone willing to pay.

I was always just a customer, playing by their rules. HydroFlask never cut us any slack or made us any deals. We just bought their product at their price

To be told that we no longer fit their brand is a slap. Whether you agree or not...that's my opinion and I hope they get a great deal of people letting them know that their decision cost them business.

Hydro Flask could have tiered their reseller discount to allow for Dreams to purchase these.

We never received a "reseller" discount.

We paid the price listed on their website and available to anyone willing to buy 1500 HydroFlasks.

If I am throwing a party and buy 30 paper plates. I pay full full retail.

If it's a huge party and I am buying 1500 plates. I pay less then the full retail price...because I'm buying 1500 of them.

Hydro Flask's website directs you to the following retailers near Cape Canaveral. You have to ask yourself what makes them worthy.
West Marine
320 W. Merritt Island Causeway
Merritt Island FL, 32953
321-452-4661
Distance: 6.4 miles
Daddy Ultra Runs
4 Harrison St
Suite #102
Cocoa FL, 32922
Distance: 7.7 miles
West Marine
1509 N Harbor City Blvd
Melbourne FL, 32935-6572
321-242-9600
Distance: 17.8 miles
Thee House of Yoga
412 5th Ave
Indialantic FL, 32903
321-652-9642
Distance: 20.7 miles

Would you listen to the show if we repeated ourselves?

Are you really basing your opinion on the fact that we don't mention this as our "favorite thing"? I gave away a Kindle as one of my favorite things years ago. It's still one of my favorite things...but I would never use it again.

I never asked to be a "distributor". I asked to buy 1500 units. I was told no. You can't buy them. Thats different to me.

As for why someone is or isn't on the podcast....it's just not the same thing at all and I am sure you are aware of that.

The Swan/ Dolphin is an advertiser. They pay for the right to advertise. Again...something entirely different...and I'm sure you are aware of that too.

Kathy repeats herself with the Keurig and I still listen (and still haven't bought one). I like the podcast and I like you (and John and Pete and Teresa, etc.) and I'll keep listening until something you guys say or do changes that (and this situation with Hydroflask hasn't changed that or changed whether or not I'm going to use the Hydroflasks I bought at your recommendation).

I can see where that's different, but the end result of your purchase is to resell them to others and Hydroflask seems to have changed their marketing plan and is trying to control where their product is sold. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their production is limited and they can no longer make enough to sell outside of their bigger retailers or that they've decided to focus on the outdoor activities market, rather than the theme park or cruising markets.

My point about someone no longer being on the podcast was that not every business decision is made public and, just like the DIS not giving a reason for podcasters leaving, Hydroflask may not want to reveal the reasons behind not selling to Dreams anymore. I wasn't comparing the decisions themselves at all.

I don't understand why the situation with the Swan and Dolphin is different. They pay you for advertising, but I know you wouldn't accept them as advertisers if you didn't support their product. I'm not involved in that side of business, so there are obviously nuances that I'm not seeing. I wasn't making a bad point deliberately.

I understand that this situation has upset you and Dreams, but I don't understand why a few thousand water bottles are so important. You don't owe me any explanation and I'm not asking for one. I'm just explaining my thoughts.

So you are a small, fledgling company. Someone with a wider base of followers talks about you, you get a HUGE boost in sales (whether you believe that or not, there is proof), such a huge boost that you offer an EXCLUSIVE discount to its listeners. You promote these listeners by posting pictures on your FB page of DISers using the products. The president of the company calls you PERSONALLY to thank you. You do not think that this shows a difference?

I bought my first bottle in Orlando at a golf shop. There was ONE store that had them and when I asked for them they had no idea what I was talking about. Now I can go into an REI and buy one if I wish. Do I feel like my business early on had something to do with that? YES!

That is how a business grows....

To turn an early supporter away is in poor taste. You can still buy them online, why can't you buy a whole bunch? Who knows that reason? Is it a manufacturer thing, a religious belief thing or a "we have better customers now" thing. Anyway you slice it, it seems like a slap in the face to those that promoted you so early on.

I like the Swell bottles too but we own 7 Hydrflasks. If I felt like Swell decided to support a company I trusted, I would buy one tomorrow.

Customer loyalty is HUGE.....if given a choice, I choose the company that supports my other passions.

If proven otherwise, I will not. I am sure we can all point to a company that we no longer frequent (or donate to) that has disappointed us in some way. I can think of a charity I used to support that we no longer give due to their beliefs on Gay rights. I equate this to the same thing.

Just my opinion.

I don't see how name calling is warranted here.

Calling someone a child, when they have been wronged is just pouring salt into a wound. Petulant children stomp their feet when they don't get their way not when they are told they don't have a way anymore.

Everything you have said is speculation.

Pure and simple speculation....not fact.

I am not sure why, if you were disappointed in me from the beginning, that you have continued to read or participate.

While you have every right to voice your opinion, I have every right to disagree with it...as do others.

As for behaving like a petulant child....well...I gave the company a "huge boost" at one time (according to the call from the President of the company) so I feel his supporters have a right to let him know what they think of the decision made.

See how that works? Everyone is allowed an opinion.

You are absolutely right Kevin. My thoughts are pure and simple speculation, not fact.

What is fact is that there are 40 LL Bean store fronts plus their catalog business, 135 REI store fronts, 22 PGA Superstore store fronts, 70 Golfsmith store fronts, 10 Lukes Locker store fronts, not to mention countless other stores that they sell too. What is also fact is that if every one of just those above mentioned stores bought just 37 Hydro Flasks, that would equal 10000 units sold. That leads me to believe, however I can only speculate, that just one of their orders is probably equal to all the business you gave them over the years.

That's great that the president of the company called you at one time to tell you thank you for their big boost in sales. However, that doesn't rationalize the decision to post his information and ask others to let him know what they think, even if you say you just want them to be able to "voice their complaints". I have been following this thread because I was hoping that someone would say how incredibly immature it was of you to post the president's phone number and email address and ask people to contact him. It would be one thing if that information was public knowledge but even then to ask others to complain to him is incredibly childish.

As to what makes those others stores worthy, they all appear to be tied in some way to athletics. However, I did not actually look them up so I'm just speculating.

At the end of the day, you are right. My opinion is just that, my opinion. My opinion is that you acted poorly and did nothing but reinforce his decision to cut ties. My opinion is that the majority of people here seem to think it somehow hurts the company if they stop telling people about them or don't buy another one. My last opinion is that if the company goes bankrupt in 5 years, you and others here will somehow think you had something to do with it.

Then again, what do I know. I don't have a Disney based podcast or influence hundreds of thousands of people.

Calling someone a child, when they have been wronged is just pouring salt into a wound. Petulant children stomp their feet when they don't get their way not when they are told they don't have a way anymore.

That comment is redundant. If a child doesn't get their way then that means that way is not an option any longer. If mom says you can't have a cookie, that means the option of having a cookie is gone, rather or not there are cookies left.

Since you said you were in the golf shop, I'm assuming you golf. If a member or your foursome misses an easy putt or they are wronged in some other way, does that give them the excuse to throw their clubs and pout? Would you be OK with that? You can't excuse behavior because someone was "wronged".

It was poor form and immature to ask people to complain because something didn't go the way you would like. It is perfectly OK for him to be upset about it. The mature and reasonable thing to do would be to post a comment stating that, due to Hydro Flasks decision, Dreams would no longer be offering the product and ending it there.

You are absolutely right Kevin. My thoughts are pure and simple speculation, not fact.

What is fact is that there are 40 LL Bean store fronts plus their catalog business, 135 REI store fronts, 22 PGA Superstore store fronts, 70 Golfsmith store fronts, 10 Lukes Locker store fronts, not to mention countless other stores that they sell too. What is also fact is that if every one of just those above mentioned stores bought just 37 Hydro Flasks, that would equal 10000 units sold. That leads me to believe, however I can only speculate, that just one of their orders is probably equal to all the business you gave them over the years.

That's great that the president of the company called you at one time to tell you thank you for their big boost in sales. However, that doesn't rationalize the decision to post his information and ask others to let him know what they think, even if you say you just want them to be able to "voice their complaints". I have been following this thread because I was hoping that someone would say how incredibly immature it was of you to post the president's phone number and email address and ask people to contact him. It would be one thing if that information was public knowledge but even then to ask others to complain to him is incredibly childish.

As to what makes those others stores worthy, they all appear to be tied in some way to athletics. However, I did not actually look them up so I'm just speculating.

At the end of the day, you are right. My opinion is just that, my opinion. My opinion is that you acted poorly and did nothing but reinforce his decision to cut ties. My opinion is that the majority of people here seem to think it somehow hurts the company if they stop telling people about them or don't buy another one. My last opinion is that if the company goes bankrupt in 5 years, you and others here will somehow think you had something to do with it.

Then again, what do I know. I don't have a Disney based podcast or influence hundreds of thousands of people.

I think it's telling that you have resorted to name calling.

I now know everything that I need to know.

Thanks for your opinion.

Since you said you were in the golf shop, I'm assuming you golf. If a member or your foursome misses an easy putt or they are wronged in some other way, does that give them the excuse to throw their clubs and pout? Would you be OK with that? You can't excuse behavior because someone was "wronged".

I'm probably too immature for this conversation but just FYI, Kevin doesn't play mini golf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter