Hurricane Milton

Most of my family is east coast areas of FL (inland). They'll decide today if they want to put up their shutters. I know my parents have impact resistant windows and doors, but we'll see. I've tried to get them to evacuate for storms in the past, but they refuse because they're not in an evac zone for storm surge. Even when they lived right on the water in Tiera Verde/St Pete Beach, it was a fight to get them to leave. Still, where they are now... they have lakes which always get super close. I guess at least they don't have our big trees. I told them that after Beryl and all of the huge oaks and pines coming down, we will probably flee for any future storms.

We have some friends trying to fly home from MCO today (they've been at WDW and today has always been their scheduled day to leave), so we're really hoping they took my advice to plan extra time and get there early. We do have west coast friends in Cape Coral, Bradenton, St. Pete Beach area, and Tampa area. One is already dealing with flood damage from Helene and is pretty stubborn about leaving. Thinking of everyone and hopeful everyone makes it through ok.

Most of my family is east coast areas of FL (inland). They'll decide today if they want to put up their shutters. I know my parents have impact resistant windows and doors, but we'll see. I've tried to get them to evacuate for storms in the past, but they refuse because they're not in an evac zone for storm surge. Even when they lived right on the water in Tiera Verde/St Pete Beach, it was a fight to get them to leave. Still, where they are now... they have lakes which always get super close. I guess at least they don't have our big trees. I told them that after Beryl and all of the huge oaks and pines coming down, we will probably flee for any future storms.

We have some friends trying to fly home from MCO today (they've been at WDW and today has always been their scheduled day to leave), so we're really hoping they took my advice to plan extra time and get there early. We do have west coast friends in Cape Coral, Bradenton, St. Pete Beach area, and Tampa area. One is already dealing with flood damage from Helene and is pretty stubborn about leaving. Thinking of everyone and hopeful everyone makes it through ok.
For what it's worth, I left out of MCO last night on my 5:40 p.m. scheduled flight. MCO had it going on! Totally staffed up, helpful staffers all around directing people and assisting travelers, security was a breeze. I have TSA precheck, but my daughter does not. She got through security at almost the same time as me. I was impressed. Hopefully your friends will get out okay. Best wishes for everyone in the impacted areas.

For what it's worth, I left out of MCO last night on my 5:40 p.m. scheduled flight. MCO had it going on! Totally staffed up, helpful staffers all around directing people and assisting travelers, security was a breeze. I have TSA precheck, but my daughter does not. She got through security at almost the same time as me. I was impressed. Hopefully your friends will get out okay. Best wishes for everyone in the impacted areas.

Thank you! That's comforting to hear. Glad everything went well for you guys.

Managed to snag a room at Royal Pacific at Universal for tomorrow night & Thursday night! We live in a mobile home in Lake Alfred (just north of Winter Haven) & were getting suuper Now...the drive to get there tomorrow - yikes...
Good for you! We're going to stay in place.

Follow up question: Are the food places likely to be open during this at Royal Pacific? I'm trying to pack as little as possible - my husband had a heart attack followed by quadruple bypass surgery 2 weeks ago & has to use a walker, so I'll already have my hands full with him, but I could throw some bread & peanut butter in a bag if I have to 🤷

Follow up question: Are the food places likely to be open during this at Royal Pacific? I'm trying to pack as little as possible - my husband had a heart attack followed by quadruple bypass surgery 2 weeks ago & has to use a walker, so I'll already have my hands full with him, but I could throw some bread & peanut butter in a bag if I have to 🤷
I would bring some non perishable food, snacks and drinks. You can always make extra trips back to the car after you get your husband settled. (My husband is disabled and that's what I do when we travel.)

I would bring some non perishable food, snacks and drinks. You can always make extra trips back to the car after you get your husband settled. (My husband is disabled and that's what I do when we travel.)
Good idea. I've already got some Gatorade & waters in the back. I'll just add some sandwich fixins' & his treats - thanks!

Does the Florida government have programs to help people in this situation? It would be much cheaper thant the cost of trying to rescue them later.

Saw something earlier today regarding the State supplying Ubers for those in need, providing them with a promo code or something along those lines.
I think it was a press release from a Florida State agency - but again I only saw it in passing.

Delayed but they're now in the air! Kind of creepy to see it with the storm on the flight map.

1728409672454.png

Don't assume anything will be open or available.

I'd bring enough food/drink for at least 3 days (7 is what FL is suggesting), and include fresh fruit and veg that's shelf-stable, especially with a spouse who medically probably needs to stay pretty strict with routine and diet right now...

Don't assume anything will be open or available.

I'd bring enough food/drink for at least 3 days (7 is what FL is suggesting), and include fresh fruit and veg that's shelf-stable, especially with a spouse who medically probably needs to stay pretty strict with routine and diet right now...
That's what I'm thinking, too - taking some items just in case for sure.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest