How's the sound level in connecting rooms (specifically AKL)?

themcfluffybutts

Earning My Ears
Pretty much as the title says. We're staying at a deluxe studio standard view and a lot of them seem to be connected to the 1 bedrooms.

Pretty much as the title says. We're staying at a deluxe studio standard view and a lot of them seem to be connected to the 1 bedrooms.

It all depends on your neighbors. We've had connecting doors with people next door and never heard a single sound. And we've also had connecting doors with neighbors who have no idea what an inside voice is.

It all depends on your neighbors. We've had connecting doors with people next door and never heard a single sound. And we've also had connecting doors with neighbors who have no idea what an inside voice is.

I’d agree with this completely.

Never stayed at a connecting room at AKL. But our one experience with a connecting room at Paradise Pier in DLR was enough to make me refuse one ever again. It was amazing how much noise came through that door.

I also agree with dansdad. I have had neighbors that had no concept of what a normal speaking voice was and I heard every single conversation. But most times you rarely hear your neighbors. Mostly babies crying or kids screaming for no reason(which I never understood since we taught our kids to be mindful of others).

I don’t recall ever having a connecting door at AKL, but had one last year at BWI. I was at the vanity fairly early in the morning getting ready for the day. The hotel was fairly quiet and my travel buddy was still asleep. I heard someone say “Hello” like she was standing right behind me and just I about jumped out of my skin. Once I calmed down and convinced myself that the room wasn’t haunted, I realized that it was someone in the connecting room. These were not loud people and I didn’t hear them again. This is just an illustration that the connecting doors aren’t really very soundproof!

I found this to be the case connecting door or not. Not really sure a connecting door makes a whole lot of difference quite honestly.

As to this, that's how they make 2 bedroom rooms so that's why so many, if not all of them do that.

Yeah depends on your neighbors. I refuse to ever stay in one again because at POR we had a boisterous family of 5 loud talkers plus baby. The toddler pulled at the door knob and talked loudly starting at sunrise daily.

I know I would have still heard them in a regular room, but there was that much more direct connection with them (air space around the connecting door). Never again.

Yeah that's the problem with DVC studios. They are connecting. We stayed in one years ago and never will again. Just too much noise. To be honest the worse problem we ever had was in a beach club club level room. It connected to another room. We heard everything and I mean everything!! We were there for a week and asked to be moved but they said they were booked solid. We had two different families next to us during the week and both were very noisy. I hate to say this because I honestly hate to be negative when people ask things but this was our experience. As others have said it really depends on your neighbors. Another bad experience was at the Poly club level without a connecting door. Kids running in the halls at all hours screaming and banging on doors. I am with another poster. My kids have traveled since they were very young and we never allowed them to be disruptive.

Anyway the bottom line is it depends on who you are near. Good luck and have a great vacation!!

Sounds like we should expect some noise. Hopefully we'll be too tired from the parks to really care. And presumably whoever is on the other side will have to sleep at some point too!

Ear plugs. Best invention ever. Seriously. I wouldn't have survived the past 15 years without them. I'm so used to sleeping with them now I use them even when DH is out of town for work.

When I stay at Pop or POR, I always request and hope to get a non-connecting room. There is definitely a difference in how much you can hear through those doors as opposed to a non-connecting room. The door is right by the beds.

When I stay in a DVC studio at Kidani Village, Bay Lake Tower, or the Polynesian, there has always been a connecting door, but I don't mind that as much at all. The connecting doors in those studios are near the door entrance. So I think most of what you may hear, depending on your neighbors, is in the area of the kitchenette, bathrooms, closet, etc. rather than where you sleep and relax.

Love the studios! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter