• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How tragic

Dee8197

<font color=indigo>Those blinking rats get me ever
Just heard on the news ( doesn't mean its correct though )that Mission Space at Epcot has been closed following the death of a little boy who "passed out" on the ride.
How terribly sad, he was only 4 but met the 44inch requirement. There is no Mission Space at DLP is there ?

Thank you for the link Iain , perhaps they should put a minimum age on some rides as well.

How terribly sad for that child's family! You bring your kids to the parks for a wonderful time and something so terrible happens in such a happy place. Hearing that quite gave me the chills.

I'm not meaning to take anything away from the tragic circumstances, but I'm struggling to understand why you'd take a 4 year-old on a ride like this anyhow.

When we visited DLP back in November (First time...oh so long ago....come on Disney wheres that new brochure), there were certain rides that we thought was unsuitable for our boys (8 years and 4 years)- for example, I can't imagine taking the youngest (4 years) on Space Mountain.

Am I alone with this thinking?

Iain Chapman said:
Am I alone with this thinking?

No, you're not alone at all. This is obviously a terrible tragedy, but perhaps some good will come out of it by having some parents think twice before bringing their little ones on some of the rougher rides. The height minimums are just that- minimums.

MinnieYC said:
No, you're not alone at all. This is obviously a terrible tragedy, but perhaps some good will come out of it by having some parents think twice before bringing their little ones on some of the rougher rides. The height minimums are just that- minimums.

OK, I fall into that category of parents who will now think twice. Having taken my 3.5 yr old on ToT several times last year - he loved it - but I really didn't give any consideration to any damage that could be caused by the brain being shaken about etc.

I guess at Disney you are less guarded about such things as you are only supposed to think happy thoughts, but I will definitely be giving this more consideration in the future.

Andy

uksaint said:
Having taken my 3.5 yr old on ToT several times last year - he loved it - but I really didn't give any consideration to any damage that could be caused by the brain being shaken about etc.

Honestly, in terms of what the rides do to your body, ToT is a LOT tamer than any roller-coaster, since it's only putting one force on your body, essentially. Plus your head doesn't bang against arm rests or anything else of the like as it may in some of the coasters.

I have to confess that I am one of those people who struggle with the idea of putting my DS on Space Mountain, (some of you may have seen by previous thread on this issue but having said that he has done lots of other rides.)

I think Iain that you may have said what a lot of us are thinking.
it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves that even though Disney is a magical place the same issues around safety are still there ( just think about poor old Pluto at wdw )

I may be wrong but a 4 year old who measure 44 inches sounds quite tall to me, maybe as well has height restrictions they should put a age restriction too, so that if you have an exceptionally tall child it is covered by the age restrictiom and if you have a very short child it is covered by the height restriction.
When we were at WDW last year both times our DS begged us to take him on Mission Space, it was a plea that fell on deaf years, even our son who was a DCM wouldn't take him on it. The fact that the ride was made in such a way that you could hose it out easily and the fact they had recently installed vomit bags on the ride and the fact that several people had been taken to hospital after the ride not to mention the warnings gave a pretty clear picture . We all make mistakes but tragically some pay a much greater price than others. How I bet that little boys family would give anything to turn the clock back. Its so terribly, terribly, tragic and sad. My heartfelt sympathy goes to all the family and also to the CM's who were operating the ride at the time

I have avoided reading this thread, as noone wants to hear tragic news like this. You know yourself the build up and excitement that is involved in any trip to Disneyland [whether DLRP or WDW], and the thought that it could actually end tragically for any family is unthinkable. Suddenly all our moans and grumbles, about the best service/breakfast/castmembers don't seem very important.
It would only be wise I suppose to wait and see what the post mortem results are, there may have been reasons why this ride affected the youngster so. I am sure the guidelines for the ride are carefully assessed not just by disney and its operators but by their insurance companies - but this is little comfort to a family losing a little boy.
Very sad indeed.

We went to Walt Disney World for my daughters 4th birthday during the 1st week of April. She's 45 1/2 inches tall without sneakers. She cried because she was too short to go on Rockin' Roller Coaster, 48" requirement. While we were in Epcot I saw the required height for mission space was 44". I was going to take her on the ride but it was getting late and there was a long wait, so we didn't go on the ride. All I can think is, that could have been my daughter. There's going to be a whole new set of rules for when we go to WDW next April.

Sorry. just wantpd to add that I wasn't aiming to be critical of the parents or anyone else In my comments above.

Easy to ask those questions In hindsight.

Can't really think of anything else to add, only that I cannot imagine how the family are feeling.

This very sad outcome was probably due to a condition that was triggered by MS, rather than caused solely by the ride itself. But this and Iain's remark has certainly give me food for thought. We took out DD age 4 on Big Thunder Mountain and Test Track whilst at WDW. She does enjoy rides like this when she does them, but doesn't necessarily beg to go on them. Maybe we took her because we knew she'd enjoy it, but maybe there was an element of showing off our brave 4 year old. :guilty:

So in the future, for her safety and my sanity - if she (and, in the future, my younger DD) doesn't ask to go on it, I'm not going to make her.

"I may be wrong but a 4 year old who measure 44 inches sounds quite tall to me, maybe as well has height restrictions they should put a age restriction too, so that if you have an exceptionally tall child it is covered by the age restrictiom and if you have a very short child it is covered by the height restriction."

Unfortunately, I fear that even with an age minimum, parents would lie and say their child is older just to get them on the ride. I see parents constantly trying to negotiate with CMs about the height requirement. I've seen parents try to sneek their way past and also plead with CMs to let their child ride.Too bad people sometimes just get caught up in the idea of having their child experience it all and forget that these rules are set for a reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter