• $2 when I pick up the car

• $2 when I drop off and $2 when I pick up

• $3 when I pick up the car

• $3 when I drop off and $3 when I pick up

• I tip certain valets more, they do more

• $5 when I pick up the car

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
We also only tip at drop off for the same reason a previous poster mentioned... often they will just pull the cars over to the side and wait until they have something to pick up before bringing your car down to the valet lot. At that point, it's whatever valet that is handling the pick up that is actually parking your car. I'm not complaining that they do that... it makes perfect sense to try to consolidate the runs... I'm just not going to tip them for pulling my car forward a few feet. :)

The exception to that is when we are checking in... at that point the valet will usually flag bell services and help unload our trunk. Since we are receiving a service at that time, we tip at that time.

What we tip the valet also changes depending on the level of service we receive. If a valet just hops in a car that is waiting to be parked and returns with our car, they'll get from $1-2. To me this is the minimum service and what they are getting paid for. If a valet actually hustles and rather than standing around the driver's side waiting for a tip goes around to the passenger side of the car and opens the door for ME, they will receive a larger tip. Also, if we are picking up our car in the heat of the day and there are no cars waiting to be parked and they trot/jog/run down to the valet lot they will also get a larger tip.

It irritates me that the "standard" has become to tip the maximum for minimal service or else risk looking cheap. Exceptional tips (in the $5 range) should be for exceptional service, not the bare minimum. We'll tip 20-25% in a restaurant, but only if the service is worth it (which at WDW, it is more often than not), but I have no problem tipping lower if the service is merely adequate.

Lisa

Great post Lisa. :)

After reading this thread I am so much more comfortable with valet parking and tipping. Unfortunately we haven't rented a car in Disney for years, and aren't planning to in the near future, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to put my newfound knowledge to the test. ;)

WOW !! I am glad this was posted, I tipped $5 both at drop off, and at pickup. I'll cut back, what about luggage ? I usually tip $10 for 2 large suitcases, and my kids carryons. Am I too cheap, or to generous ?

I asked this before, does anyone know if they pool the tips. i don't remember if I got a reponse either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter