• $2 when I drop off and $2 when I pick up

• $3 when I pick up the car

• $3 when I drop off and $3 when I pick up

• I tip certain valets more, they do more

• $5 when I pick up the car

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

prplcrzy

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
If everyone who used valet in the past could put aside the new charge just for a minute, I would like to know how much you have tipped the valet in the past?:jester:

We typically tip 2 at drop off and pick up. These guys work very hard, and have always provided us with excellent service. We won't change tipping habits with the new charges. With VWL and BWV continuing to be free to DVC members, the only other resort we typically visit with valet parking is the GF..so I guess that will be a $10. night instead of our our usual $4. I understand the guest self parking is quite a hike from the main enterance of the GF too.

$2 when we pick up the car. I used to give $2 each way, but several times I watched as the one I gave the drop off tip to turned and had someone else park the car. Another time at the Contemporary I saw my car still there waiting to be parked 20 minutes later. When the valet brings my car back, I know that was the one who did the work.

Having had a lot of math, and liking statistics to boot, (who doesn't?), I just couldn't resist. So here's the statistics so far:

Based on <b> 132 </b> votes (128 actual, 4 excluded)

The average is <b>$2.91</b> per car (combined drop off & pick-up).

Individual averages are:

When picking up the car: <b><font color = blue>$1.88</font></b>

When droping off the car: <b><font color = blue>$1.02</font></b>

<i>Note: All numbers rounded to nearest cent.</i>

I'll update this periodically.... This can be fun.

Disnydad don't you think that they all pool the tips on a per shift basis. I mean that they don't seem to fight over the cars when it is time to park them. Unless anyone else has seen diferent. Any valets read this board, do you pool the tips or keep them to yourself?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. Caskbill, I think the stats are great! They will be even better when more people vote! If you read this thread vote!

Good question prpl. I'd like to know that too. I never thought of that. I know that at our local car wash, they pool the tips. But I also know that a lot of the folks who work there hold back on what they turn in. Now that one I'm sure of.

I thought the valet parking for DVC members was going to continue as a non charged perk? Or is this a general poll for all hotel valet services?

I was told by a BWV CM two years ago, that they do NOT pool their tips. Apparently, it is quite an issue when a tip is not given to the person at drop off, since the shifts obviously change and that person most likely will not be the one to retrieve the car later, hence misses out on a tip. I have always given $2 at drop off and pickup.. :)

vernon, valet parking for DVC members is free only at the two DVC locations offering this service (BWV and VWL). The $6 charge applies at any of the other locations in WDW which offer valet parking. Note that this is a $6 per day charge, not per use.

On the poll question, I tip what appears to be the mode: $2 at both drop off and pick up. The exception is when we first arrive and the valet must unload the luggage and our groceries and deliver them to bell services. Then I typically tip $5 or so. We will usually have a pretty full cart of stuff: two suitcases, a couple bags of groceries, and various beverages.

Ralph

VERNON

Are you trying to say even if you park at the Board Walk, you don't give any of the Bellhops a tip? We always tip at the Board Walk even if it's only a short stay, usually $5 on returning the car.

jj...........................:rolleyes:

Bump...

Looks like it's going to be close to about $3.00 per car total. If you haven't voted yet, do so now.

No , I do tip the Valet parking and the bellhops ( and pretty much everyone else in the service sector unless they manage to upset me in a pretty major fashion).

The original question stated " putting a side the NEW charge!" . As this poll is on the DVC board I wanted to ask/point out that the charge is not relevent to DVC Valet parking privilages as there is no new charge for parking on the DVC resorts for DVC members. If the poll is about WDW valet parking in general then, it's arguable if the opinions of DVC members ( granted an intellegent and valuable group :D) warrant their own poll/survey or if this should be put the the general public. ( making elitist noises with tongue firmly in cheek is no mean feat LOL ;) ) .

I'am glad you've cleared this up Vernon. After all a TIP is renumeration for the service received and not duty bound as some would think.

jj...........................:)

The original question asked you to put aside the new charge for two reasons-

First, while the charge does not apply to the DVC members at the DVC resorts, it does apply in other places.

Second, since the charge is new and there is some confusion about it because it was new I asked that people not pay attention to it because I was solely interested in what people tip the valet and how they do it and not what they might do if they thought they would get charged for it.

I work in the service industry and was curious how people tip and their reason for doing so with the valet.

The word tips actually came from the phrase "to insure proper service" and was given prior to the service received. Thus, people who gave larger gratuities got better service ( at least in theory) How it got switched is beyond me but it probably started in this country (U.S.) because people probably got tired of tipping and not receiving the service they thought they deserved. It is a better way for sure because those who are service oriented should be rewarded with a tip (there are very few of these people left) and those who are not (many, many more) should be rewarded appropriately.

A tip should not be viewed as a requirement, it should be viewed as a reward for a job well done and this is no longer the case in today's society.

I have to say I stay at the Boardwalk and have received excellent service from the valets and the ones who have been there the longest teach the ones who haven't. One trip we decided to rent a convertable and we had the most wonderful valet who made sure the top was down, the A/C was on, the windows were clean and the interior of the car was picked up. I wanted to see how many of the people noticed stuff like this and commented about it or if they just tipped because they should. By the way, the valet we loved also coached a new valet that brought up our car that he did not do it correctly, apologized to us and corrected the situation while showing the new valet what to do. They realize that this is their lively hood and want people to be happy. I think that some of them just don't know enough to perform these simple tasks that are deserving of the gratuity they receive. I can't say that all of the valets are of that caliber but they want the others to do their part so that people feel thay have received a service.

:jester:

Thanks for all who have replied, this has been a most informative poll!!!

:jester: :jester: :jester:

We just got back from 10 glorious days at AKL. Valet parking cost 6.00 per day. The family
decided that 2.00 every time we picked up the car was fair. While waiting each morning for
the buses to take us to our daily park we noticed that very few people tipped at all.

Maybe 6.00 per day is enough!

98 WDW Offsite
99 WDW Offsite
00 WDW Contemporary / 3 Day Cruise
01 WDW AKL
01 DVC
02 7 Day Western Cruise

Okay, here's something I don't understand...This was at Portofino & it's been since Feb. that I've stayed at a Disney Deluxe so I can't remember how they do it but...You pull up, a valet takes your car, one empties your car of it's luggage & puts it on the luggage rack, then another comes to bring your luggage up to your room, Gosh! how many people does it take, why the middle guy? Do they share tips? So I said to them okay, who do I tip? They said...just split what you would have given one of us. I hate to be cheap but I really think the middle guy is not needed, I'm in the service industry so I rely on tips but I can't see what he's for.

I have read that the valets are not happy about the new system and you can see why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter