How much do you REALLY spend on food at Disney???

mom2aprincenprincess

Mom to 2 prince's and 1 princess
I have calculated over and over again for my upcoming July trip, and I just can’t seem to feel confident that I know how much I should be spending on food! We are a family of 5...2 adults, and 3 kids, DD 17, DS 10, & DS 7. I have read and researched, but I just can’t find anything that has really helped me figure this out. I feel like I should just plan for the higher end of the spectrum. I am contemplating changing my reservation from the Fun and Sun room discount to the Free dining discount and upgrade to the regular dining plan from QS since we are staying at a mod. We like food, and trying new things and the idea that I can order whatever I want on the menu, including alcohol, without feeling guilty of the price is appealing while in vacation mode. The difference in price is pretty significant, but we have to eat, so I can’t figure out it the free DDP is worth it.
Currently my reservation is:
CBR Standard 5th sleeper 5 nights, 4 park day tickets, travel insurance $3282.38
To change to Free QSDP with upgrading to DDP, and I would have to add a park hopper for this deal, and the room would now be 5th sleeper with a water/pool view (only because this is what’s available) the total is $4577.88
HELP!

I have calculated over and over again for my upcoming July trip, and I just can’t seem to feel confident that I know how much I should be spending on food! We are a family of 5...2 adults, and 3 kids, DD 17, DS 10, & DS 7. I have read and researched, but I just can’t find anything that has really helped me figure this out. I feel like I should just plan for the higher end of the spectrum. I am contemplating changing my reservation from the Fun and Sun room discount to the Free dining discount and upgrade to the regular dining plan from QS since we are staying at a mod. We like food, and trying new things and the idea that I can order whatever I want on the menu, including alcohol, without feeling guilty of the price is appealing while in vacation mode. The difference in price is pretty significant, but we have to eat, so I can’t figure out it the free DDP is worth it.
Currently my reservation is:
CBR Standard 5th sleeper 5 nights, 4 park day tickets, travel insurance $3282.38
To change to Free QSDP with upgrading to DDP, and I would have to add a park hopper for this deal, and the room would now be 5th sleeper with a water/pool view (only because this is what’s available) the total is $4577.88
HELP!

it's what-about $1300 different (and that includes changing to a park hopper). i can tell you that it's been over 5 years since our family of 4 went to wdw but for 5 nights/4 days i think you would spend more out of pocket. the prices are not cheap so even if we just go w/the $1300 figure, that works out to $52 per day per person for 5 days. we have EASILY spent more than $50 per person on just one meal at wdw, to have it cover all meals seems a tremendous savings.

It would cost you $1300 more to get the DDP, so the only way to know for sure if it's worth it is to look where you were planning to eat anyway, and see if you'd be spending $1300 on food and snacks (including tax but NOT including tip unless you're doing HDDR or Spirit of Aloha).

it's a lot of work but whether you're paying OOP or using the DP, you should calculate out what you would be spending including tax and tip. If you can reasonably break even on what you'd eat anyway then it's not a bad deal. I don't think the DDP is a savings for most people, but it is convenient as a prepaid meal plan.

EDITED TO ADD: Just keep in mind that the Dining plan isn't even "free", right now you have a room discount. Switching to the "free" dining plan means you will now be paying full rack rate (no discounts) on the room, and the dining plan is added on. You may end up saving more by sticking with your room discount and just giving yourself a "prepaid" food plan by buying Disney Gift Cards :)

This is likely not very helpful, but it really depends upon how your family likes to eat! I know that in the heat/humidity of the summer, we don't eat a lot of big, heavy meals. Are you calculating the 10 year old & the 17 year old as adult prices for the meal plan?
Not really. It was easier to take the difference, $1295.50 and divide it by 5 nights=$259.10, then by five people =$51.82/ day....which equals $17.27/meal
This is such a rough estimate, become I know that snack are figured in there, TS may cost more than that, and QS may be less.

Last edited:
My family of 6 went for 6 nights last year and spent around $1000. We did 2 TS plus MBYBBQ. Everything else was snacks and quick service. We brought a lot of snacks and can soda into the parks and had beverages of our own by the pool. So we could have spent a lot more. Plus my kids are young and eat like birds. We actually skipped a lot of meals because we were too busy riding rides.

It really depends on what you like to eat, and where, and how much. My family of 5 spent $1100 on an 8 day trip and we didn't skimp. We ordered what we wanted, and we had plenty of in-park treats. We placed a small grocery order and had it delivered so coffee and breakfast were in that grocery order as well as a few snacks for the park. Even with the grocery order we didn't break $1200.

That said, 2 of my kids are 11 and 14 so they are adult pricing on the dining plan as well as at any buffet/ aycte meal. Adult meals at most restaurants are too much food for them. They don't eat much at a buffet so we limit those to 1 per trip (or less) because that's a huge waste of money for us. Typically anywhere else they order a kids meal (sometimes ordering an extra side or a snack item). We did order my 2 year old a meal any time we were out. DH and I will sometimes split a QS meal, or even a TS meal and add an appetizer and dessert to share. We might each have a drink with dinner but other than that we largely stick to water (it's usually too hot and I'm too tired to be doing much drinking).

Those are just our parameters and eating habits. You know your crowd best. I suggest making a mock itinerary of where and what you want to eat, add it up, and go from there.

On our last trip, our family of 6 (2 adults, 2 'adults', 2 kids) spend ~$1200 for all our meals and that included airport to airport as we grabbed something when landed in MCO and landed at home airport. We ate mostly CS but did have 1 TS. We were supposed to have a character breakfast on departure day but we had to leave early for Hurricane Irma and could not do our breakfast. That saved about $250. This was a 9-night stay, btw.

Like another poster mentioned, when it's hot, we tend to eat less and this was a early Sept trip so it was HOT. Your family may eat differently. Your best bet is to go through the menus of where you plan to eat and plan out sample meals.

Don't forget that you will need to pay the tip on all of your table service meals. I forgot to do that when calculating whether the dining plan was cost effective or not for our last trip. Our tip for one meal was a little over $70 for 4 adults and 2 children at a Akershus (I believe your party would be considered four adults and 1 child but I'm not 100% sure about your 10yr old). Another meal the tip was $55 and I don't remember the rest. When I ran the numbers I included the tip in my calculations for how much it would cost me out of pocket but I forgot to add them to the cost of the dining plan so I'm throwing it out there for you as a heads up. I had someone else mention to me that they did the same thing. Just so you'll compare apples to apples.

We have never spent anywhere near what the DP will cost including tips and not on the DP...
First the upgrade will cost you a considerable amount in Tips depending on your tipping habits but at 18% you will average 40.00 a day with a family of 5 maybe more.
If you are big eaters and want to try everything.. even if you decide the DP is not for you I don't think you will be that far off if you eat a TS everyday... We have found some days we are not that hungry and eat only CS meals and other days we are..... I can not speak for your family... My opinion is for a short trip of 2-3 nights you can make out on the DP but after that you will not be very hungry it is a lot of food. If you decide not to Bring your own breakfast items and Coffee if you drink it or you can bagels and others stuff at the gift shops which is normal store retail prices butter is higher... With meals most or all people drink ice Water free and a lot of people prefer this anyway as well as any CS will give ice water free all day every day.... you will than easily have enough for CS and TS everyday stay away from Character meals and you will make out well... For Soda and juice buy some resort mugs unlimited refills at your resort...

You're at the 6 month mark now so you can start making dining reservations. If you tell us where you plan to use your QS meal and TS meal each day that would be helpful. Right now you are at about $250 in snack credits ($5 per snack) and $100 in refillable mugs.

Don't forget that you will need to pay the tip on all of your table service meals. I forgot to do that when calculating whether the dining plan was cost effective or not for our last trip. Our tip for one meal was a little over $70 for 4 adults and 2 children at a Akershus (I believe your party would be considered four adults and 1 child but I'm not 100% sure about your 10yr old). Another meal the tip was $55 and I don't remember the rest. When I ran the numbers I included the tip in my calculations for how much it would cost me out of pocket but I forgot to add them to the cost of the dining plan so I'm throwing it out there for you as a heads up. I had someone else mention to me that they did the same thing. Just so you'll compare apples to apples.
I will have to tip regardless, so it shouldn’t be any different right? The cost of the meal is the cost of the meal, and 18% is 18%. Am I right?

Last edited:
I will have to tip regardless, so it should’ve be no different right? The cost of the meal is the cost of the meal, and 18% is 18%. Am I right?
Definitely! I think the only place this comes into play as a consideration is that people on the DP tend to want to 'make sure they get their money's worth' so they order the more pricey items on the menu in order to maximize the value and then their tips are more expensive. But I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker for most people.

We spent more than I expected, but I still don't think the dining plan would have saved us any money. We used more credits than a regular dining plan and less than the Deluxe. We ended up averaging $300/nt for 8 nights (2 adults, 2 kids 9 & 6) including tips, snacks, alcohol, etc. We didn't skimp though and we used gift cards I got at a discount on so I guess technically we paid less than $2,400 (gulp!).

TS restaurants we ate at:
Tonys
Geyser Point
Tusker House
CRT
Narcoosees
Artist Point
Trails End
Biergarten
Sci Fi
San Angel Inn
WCC for breakfast
Kona Cafe for breakfast

We had some great CS meals also and next trip I'm sure I could do cheaper. My $300/nt total includes some cocktails at the pool and occasional nightcaps. I personally enjoy sitting down for meals at Disney as a break and I want at least one ADR a day.

Definitely! I think the only place this comes into play as a consideration is that people on the DP tend to want to 'make sure they get their money's worth' so they order the more pricey items on the menu in order to maximize the value and then their tips are more expensive. But I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker for most people.
Ok, now that does make since.

With 5 people going, I would get the dining plan. 1. It will be paid for before you arrive (except gratuities). 2. You can have a planned rest at a Table service restaurant 3. You won't be tempted to get the lower cost items, you can get most anything you want. 4. You can have so much fun trying all sorts of snacks.

I will add that we NEVER use our dining plan credit for breakfast unless it is at a Character Breakfast or pre park breakfast at Be Our Guest. Make sure to use your credits for the higher priced restaurants. Use your Quick Service at places like Flame Tree BarbeCue, Tangierine Café, Sunshine Seasons, Wolfgang Puck express, Pre Park opening Be OUr Guest Breakfast, and Be Our Guest Lunch. You could easily get 3 ADULT quick service meals and feed all 5 of you. And you then if you wanted to use your QS for breakfast at your resort then you could get 2 Bounty Platters each day and supplement with a couple of snack credits (muffins, side of eggs or oatmeal etc). If you are not planning on a lot of table service then just do the quick service and pay out of pocket for the sit down meals. IF it was me, I would get the dining plan. Either way, HAVE a Magical Time. :)

I will have to tip regardless, so it shouldn’t be any different right? The cost of the meal is the cost of the meal, and 18% is 18%. Am I right?
18% is 18%, but the total amount that you're paying 18% on will be different. The dining plan includes alcoholic drinks for the adults and desserts for everyone - two things that you might not normally order but feel inclined to because you're "not paying for them". That will drive your tips upward compared to what you might have paid OOP.

Also, take a look at any dining discounts you might be entitled to, such as the Disney Visa.

You really need to plan your meals and do the math. We are a family of five and I just went through the exercise (again). After doing the math it is way cheaper for us to pay out of pocket than doing the DP and that includes two character breakfasts and a character dinner.

So for a reference point

DH and I had dinner - Tusker House it was like 54 dollars a person, so with the meal, taxes, and tip we were at 130.00 and that was just for 2 of us...

When getting the DDP... you have to count in the snacks, and I think that you get a mug... which with a long stay might work well, doing things like using your mugs for drinks in the food court with your meal, you can get bottled drinks for later on to use during the day...

If you plan well, you can share meals - TS and QS ... use snack credit to fill in where you need it... you should be fine...

You can also order some stuff for in room, like from Publix-Insta cart... bottled water, soda, adult beverages, and snacks, cereal and milk for quick breakfast in the room. The thing is just don't go crazy with the order... So you don't waste, cash or food...

With the dessert option, you can take it to go, SHHH... Don't tell.... cake for breakfast is really okay on vacation:D...just check out the menus to see what might work for you to take to go...

When DD and I have shared many table service... DH would order one meal, and DD and I would share one... Of course that doesn't apply to buffets, or all you can eat restaurants...
Make sure you tip as if all of you ordered a meal... Server work very very hard...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter