How many days will you wear shorts or pants before they go in the dirty clothes?

jalapeno_pretzel

DIS Veteran
I usually wear shorts or pants several days in a row before I consider them dirty. I'm not talking about if I've done a bunch of intensive yard work in some old jeans, or my running shorts after a run, but just the ones I'm wearing around the house, working (I work from home sitting at a computer), running errands, I probably will go 5 days or more. (Obviously I change what is underneath them). My shirts I change pretty much daily, though on occasion if I haven't done much I'll wear one 2 days in a row. I just fold things up at night and leave them on top of my dresser for the next day. I wondered if most others do this, or if it's more regular to change them out daily.

What got me thinking about this is I like to pack really light for travel. I'm thinking for my 2 weeks in Greece I can get by with 2 pair of convertible pants/shorts. So the set I wear on the plane, and one that's packed. We may or may not be able to do laundry during our trip. They're so lightweight I think I could wash one pair out in a sink and let them air dry if I needed. I will have one dress that mostly functions as a beach coverup but could also be worn out and about.

Reactions: NAB
It really depends on several variables. If it's hot and I sweat, then the clothes will need to be washed more often. It also depends on whether or not i spill food on them. So I don't plan to re-wear things. If I'm lucky, that's a bonus.

An aunt and cousin rinsed out their undies every night. That's not my idear of a fun vacation. Also met a couple who went on a 15-day cruise with just carry-on luggage. I'd rather pack more clothes than do daily laundry.

I definitely wear pants more than once unless they got dirty. Shirts I wash after one wear. I seem to sweat less as get older so I can push that, especially if I'm just hanging around the house. DH and I call some of our clothes wearing habits "pandemic clean" because we definitely changed some of our hygiene habits when we weren't ever leaving the house!

When traveling, all bets are off. I can easily wash shirts or underwear in the sink, but I'm Probably not going to do that with pants or shorts so they just get recycled until I do a laundry mat visit. For two weeks, I'd make do with the sink and re-wearing things.

I actually don't mind doing laundry while traveling. For example, 35 years ago I did five weeks in Europe. I can still vividly remember one night in Florence where we had a corner room with a great cross breeze from two windows so we washed out everything we could in the sink before going out in the evening. We got back late and everything was already dry. We also did laundry at a laundromat in London. We met a really sweet little elderly lady who told us all about her doctor's visits and a truck driver from Glascow who tried to pick me up. If I thought about it a while, I could probably come up with laundry stories from any of my vacations over the years that lasted more than a week.

Last edited:
Shorts - I plan for two times, maaaaybe get three.

Jeans - I don't count on more than that on vacation, but I'm sure there have been times I've gotten four "partial-day" wears out of them at home (if I was lucky and didn't spill anything.)

Raising kids with asthma & allergy the Pulmonologist got me trained to wash everything after wearing outside once so unless it is outerwear it gets washed. Kids stopped getting sick as often when I started this so there is something to it, now it is just habit.

I actually don't mind doing laundry while traveling. For example, 35 years ago I did five weeks in Europe. I can still vividly remember one night in Florence where we had a corner room with a great cross breeze from two windows so we washed out everything we could in the sink before going out in the evening. We got back late and everything was already dry. We also did laundry in London. We met a really sweet little elderly lady who told us all about her doctor's visits and a truck driver from Glascow who tried to pick me up. If I thought about it a while, I could probably come up with laundry stories from any of my vacations over the years that lasted more than a week.

I love this! I remember once on a trip in the western US we were looking for a laundromat and learned that it was called a 'washateria' in that area. I had never heard that term. It's not that I love to do laundry on vacation, it's more that I dislike to carry a lot, and dislike even more when things get disorganized and I can't find something (and it makes it worse the more things I bring). In general I don't feel like my shorts get very grungy even after a few days.

Jeans I wear for a few days if not dirty. Wasn't it the LEVI'S COMPANY said jeans don't need to be washed unless really dirty with dirt or spills on them? i know I won't do that.
Now, my tops I wear once.

I'll wear pants or shorts 4-5 times before washing, as long as I don't spill anything on them or get too sweaty. If they smell or have stains I'll obviously wash them.
Shirts get worn once. A sweater or sweatshirt worn over another shirt can go multiple wears.

If hanging out alone around the house alone, and not doing any strenuous work, I might wear the same thing twice. Any time I am leaving the house I prefer fresh clothes, and after any strenuous labor I need a shower and fresh clothes.

For vacation, fresh clothes daily, with laundry or hand washing clothes if necessary. So if I were the OP I would be washing out clothes daily if I packed as they plan to. When I went to the UK for ten days, I had five outfits (four packed in my carry on and my travel clothes) and did laundry twice. I took clothes that I could wash all in one load without separating colors to make it easier.

Usually once, but occasionally I’ll wear bottoms a second day if I’m not going anywhere special. My ex husband used to wear jeans until they took on a life of their own. I thought it was gross.

one.

But my brother was just talking about this today. He goes on Jeep trips and is gone 5-7 days at a time. His Jeep has a trailer that is customized and has a shower, bed/loft, cooking station etc.
He said that he changes his underwear and socks but will wear his shorts/pants multiple days in a row to conserve packing space.

He has a pretty great set up that he customized himself.

Usually just once. Our last trip to WDW I had packed four pair of capris along with three pair of shorts, so I had enough bottoms for the trip which was 7 days. It was September, but it was hotter than the surface of the sun. I mean uncomfortably hot so that you couldn't catch a breath.

Anyway, I couldn't bear to wear the capris. We brought a can of Febreeze with us to take away any bad smells that might be in the hotel room, and I wound up spraying the shorts I had worn that day and hanging them up to dry to wear again. Swamp Butt is real when it's that hot, even when you shower every morning.

one.

But my brother was just talking about this today. He goes on Jeep trips and is gone 5-7 days at a time. His Jeep has a trailer that is customized and has a shower, bed/loft, cooking station etc.
He said that he changes his underwear and socks but will wear his shorts/pants multiple days in a row to conserve packing space.

He has a pretty great set up that he customized himself.
Camping/overlanding is a different story. I'll wear pants and outerwear several times on a trip, but change underwear and t-shirts daily. Bulky stuff just takes up too much room and you're in the middle of nowhere anyway. I'll sponge off every day as well, or set up a portable shower if there's time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter