How is the drive from Ft. Lauderdale airport to WDW?

jaceraden

Ringleader to 3 kids in a Disney loving family
The title says it all.

It looks like it might be cheaper for me to fly through Ft. Lauderdale and rent a car to drive to WDW.

I was wondering how the drive is and if there are any issues or must see spots along the way. We will be travelling in March. And we don't live anywhere near the coast so stopping at a great beach spot wouldn't be the worst either.

TIA!

The drive itself is easy, but boring. Exit the airport on I-595 Westbound, to the Florida Turnpike north to Orlando.

If you want to hit a beach -- and you're not going to do a day trip from WDW -- the FLL airport is pretty close to beaches.
  • From the airport, take US 1 northbound to 17th Street in Ft. Lauderdale. Right (east) on 17th Street, over the causeway and it will feed right into the road along the beach. Roughly 6 miles or a little more, depending on where you park.
This is as close as you are going to be to a beach, and Ft Lauderdale Beach is beautiful, safe, and clean. There is parking right next to the beach -- just be sure you pay for enough time.

To go to WDW from Ft Lauderdale Beach, retrace your steps toward the airport, get on I-595 westbound at the airport, Turnpike North to Orlando. From the beach, it's a little over 200 miles; a little over 3 hours, all expressway -- and nothing of note to see or do on the drive.

Last edited:

Maps are great for planning your trip, and for getting a general geographic orientation to new places.

For driving, a smartphone app -- Google Maps or Waze -- is better. They will give you turn-by-turn directions; find parking, gas stations and other points of interest; alert you to accidents and other traffic issues, etc. I personally prefer Google Maps, but Waze (also owned by Google) is also good.

Both are free from your app store.

That was sarcasm.

JimMIA - your first post was exactly the type of information I was looking for - thank you! :flower1:

We did this drive a few years ago. We flew into MCO and then drove to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. Then drove back to spend time in Orlando area. Flights were cheaper to Orlando at the time and rental cars are much cheaper to pick up and return to the same location. As stated above, I think it was about 3 hours. Fairly boring but totally fine ride.

I drive it fairly frequently, family in Pompano Beach. It's a booooring ride, that's for sure. But easy. Hop on the Fl Turnpike and head north. Takes about 3 hrs.

Is it that much cheaper to take up 6+ hours of vacation time (3 hours each way in ideal driving conditions) driving from FFL to WDW?

Is it that much cheaper to take up 6+ hours of vacation time (3 hours each way in ideal driving conditions) driving from FFL to WDW?

You will spend just as much time going through the experience of flying round trip.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A lot depends on the number of people in your group. If you have 5-6 in your group the airfare differential really adds up.

Either TPA (about 90 miles, less than 2 hours away) or FLL might offer enough savings to make it worthwhile. Or not. You just have to run the numbers to see.

Also, many travelers are visiting other places in Florida besides WDW which affect their travel preferences. It's not always just price.

if not in a hurry for the drive ... going up 95 to Cocoa then 528 west to the parks allows a bunch of places to stop for beach time .... Jupiter, Vero, Cocoa Beach ....

it really won't add much time to the drive overall.

IN FACT if you look at a map, the turnpike and 95 run nearly next to each other from Palm Beach Gardens 'til Ft Pierce - even crossing each other twice ....

beaches further north than Lauderdale tend to be less crowded ..... and you'd actually SAVE $ on the tolls!

if not in a hurry for the drive ... going up 95 to Cocoa then 528 west to the parks allows a bunch of places to stop for beach time .... Jupiter, Vero, Cocoa Beach

I drive between Fort Lauderdale and the Disney World area multiple times each year. I positively HATE paying tolls, so I always avoid the Florida Turnpike.

If taking Interstate 95 north from South Florida, I highly recommend using US 192. You exit I-95 in Melbourne and end up on the south side of Disney World in Kissimmee. No tolls!

i95-192-disneysprings-map.jpg

Link to Bing Maps for the Full Route: https://binged.it/2keAyr4

US 192 is an easy drive. It's a four-lane, divided road with minimal traffic most of the way. You might experience traffic once you get to Kissimmee, depending on the time of day. For anyone unfamiliar, US 192 is known as Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway in Kissimmee. It's the main street with all the tourist hotels and retail just south of Disney property.

If you want to get a taste of waterside Florida without a huge detour, you could get off I-95 and drive on US 1 for a bit. US 1 runs north/south, hugging the mainland coast. I think the stretch between Vero Beach and Melbourne is particularly scenic. Driving north, the right side will the be Indian River (which I think is technically a coastal estuary, not a river). If you want to visit an actual beach, you'd take a bridge across the Indian River to the barrier islands. Here's an example of the view, courtesy of Bing Maps Street Side:

us1-streetside-sebastian.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter