How do you use your ownership?

tidefan

DIS Veteran
As I have been reading many threads over the past few years, I have noticed that there are so many diverse approaches to ownership. The beautiful thing is that they all fit well for the people that use them. Most espouse the "Buy where you want to stay" mantra, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that because I am in a different group. So, what type of owner are you? Here are some that I've noticed. Most are probably a mix of these:

1) The Ride or Die

This is the "Buy where you want to stay - extreme version". This ownership type will only book the same accommodation, year after year, and has no desire to branch out (or they are a RIV, VDH, or CFW resale owner and can't branch out)...

2) The Diversification strategist

This is the ownership type that has the goal of staying at every DVC property and enjoys changing each trip up every time they go. They may have favorites, but trying something different each trip keeps things fresh...

3) The Value Investor

This is the ownership type that will look for whatever property will stretch those points out the farthest! Typically stays Sunday to Thursday. From HHI stays in January to AKV Value studios (if you can get them) to OKW 1 and 2 bedrooms to SSR, BLT, and AKV Standard View rooms to June stays at Aulani. They have mastered the skill of using the regular Disney Bus system as an internal bus setup at SSR (BTW, this is invaluable, if you don't know how to do this your SSR stay will be much worse) to get off at Congress Park to make your walk to Gideon's shorter and they know about the Gurgling Suitcase...

4) The Flip-Flopper

Sort of a multiple ride or die. This owner switches between only a few properties (cough, BWV and BCV, cough)...

5) The Renter

This is the owner that DVC is trying to get the reins on. Makes speculative bookings and rents them out...

6) The Opportunist

This ownership type logs into their DVC account like reading the morning paper. Have an AP and a few days off next month? Let's see what's available...

7) The Aloha Spirit

This owner has discovered Aulani and what a great deal it is to use their DVC points at that awesome resort. Then they discover the Kapolei Costco, then Royal Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee, then Malasadas, then Marusame Udon, then Foodland Poke (IYKYK). The rest is history...

8) The Beachcomber

This owner has probably owned at HHI or VB for a long time and can snag one of those next to impossible Summer reservations at HHI or one of the Beach Cottages at VB. They understand the allure of the Green Cabin Room. Probably not fans of the dues, though...

Well, there are probably more, but these are a few that I can think of, and I thought it a fun exercise. We are probably a mix of types 2, 3, and 7 ourselves.

I would say we are #2. We own at BLT but have stayed at (so far) - BLT, SSR, SSR Treehouses, BWV, AKL, VGF.

Next couple of trips I would love to try CC or BR, and the Poly.

We will probably bounce around every trip depending on who we are going with.

Last edited:
Number 2 I guess? Not trying to stay at every resort. Mainly AKL or CCV if it’s Christmas time.

We bought to come every other year so we can force ourselves to do other things on the off years (and gives Disney time to have new things each time we come).

AKL is our favorite resort but we bought at Copper Creek for the 2068 expiration and having the 11 month window for early December trips.

I would be a combo of #2 and #3 but my husband is #3 all the way. I would love some variety but I am also super cheap which is why we purchased DVC. It’s so hard to spend extra points…kind of. We are one bedroom people so yeah we spend points but not as many as we could. 🤷‍♀️ but seriously my husband would live at OKW in a one bedroom if he could.

Still a work in progress

First trip was 7 days 1 bedroom at BLT

Next trip 9-day split stay 5 days 1 bedroom BLT 4 days 2-bedroom BWV

2025 trip most likely 7 or 8 days 1 bedroom Kidani

After that we will decide if we want to skip a year or buy additional points.

I guess that is 2

Number 2 I guess? Not trying to stay at every resort. Mainly AKL or CCV if it’s Christmas time.

We bought to come every other year so we can force ourselves to do other things on the off years (and gives Disney time to have new things each time we come).

AKL is our favorite resort but we bought at Copper Creek for the 2068 expiration and having the 11 month window for early December trips.
That is our next decision every year or every other.

The thread on the future cost of dues put that idea into my head.

4) The Flip-Flopper

Sort of a multiple ride or die. This owner switches between only a few properties (cough, BWV and BCV, cough)...
We are probably 75% this. We almost always try to book something at a home resort at 11 mo out and look at modifying at 7 mo. With 3 home resorts we really enjoy, it's always fun even when "stuck" at our home resort(s). We've started switching out more lately, partly because our kids are older and it's easier to take buses, for example, or stay until close. Lately (some was "forced" last minute bookings to use points during/after COVID) we've switched to Kidani Savanna, Jambo value, COVID style, BCVx2, BWVx2... That said, whenever we go back to our home resorts, we reconfirm that we are also very happy to stay there.

Outside of WDW, we've finally used points for Aulani (looked at buying more points), VGC (looked at buying points before VDH opened), VDH (looked at buying points, unlikely to buy)
6) The Opportunist

This ownership type logs into their DVC account like reading the morning paper. Have an AP and a few days off next month? Let's see what's available...
25% this... This started during COVID when work schedules were more flexible and not a lot was open at home (NYC in 2021, for ex). I went with a girlfriend to Riviera for a weekend, which is the first time we've used our DVC *without* another family member; this summer we are bringing family...
I also like to play waitlist lotto: put in impossible waitlists at 7mo and see if they come true.

Also snagged VGC for Christmas! YAYYYYYYYY (have been watching booking patterns for a while)

Next trip 9-day split stay 5 days 1 bedroom BLT 4 days 2-bedroom BWV
This reads like a perfect trip for us ... we are fans of the split stay. In the old days it was because of strollers, now it's because our kids want to close down the parks (!!!), the next stage will be scooters! (joking - I had a knee/ankle injury a couple years ago where I had to use an ECV. Will stay off that as long as possible!)

Next trip is a 5-day "weekend" that includes Tiana preview on Juneteenth. Yeah!
Summer: taking another family, doing BLT - RIV (2br)

We started out thinking we'd go every 18 months, now it's multiple trips a year, some short and at least one longer one. With an AP and DVC, #6 becomes a real option - sometimes it's "cheaper" than staying home! #DisneyMath

We started in 2006 with OKW resale. Soon after, we added on at HHI. We were the value buyers at that point. A single income family of 5 we had to be more frugal. Even when OKW was, and still is, our least fave resort. The DH was, back then, all about being frugal (I say cheap).

Then, years later and after going to F&W we started adding on at BWV. That was more for nostalgia and for walking to our fave park, Epcot. Kinda also played into the DH's cheap side as we could book standard view there and spread those points farther.

Then, we got a bee in our bonnet about snowbirding with DVC someday so we kept adding on small contracts and wanted to diversify more so we could do our time at various resorts. Hotel rules are you can't stay more than, I think, 30 days at one place so we figured may as well diversify. We had OKW, HHI, BWV, AKV and CCV....750 points purchased over time. Aim was like 1200 or something. Then covid happened....

Once covid hit and we had a few WDW trips cancelled and several cruises cancelled and all that vacation fund sitting there....on top of the DH going permanently to WFH...we decided to buy a vacation rental condo. A place we could vacay a few weeks a year (and DH could work from there) and then we could rent out when not using it. Got a townhome near Disney. So then our usage morphed into a night a month to go drink and not drive. Doing Epcot festivals and DS. No need for as many points so we began to sell off and got down to 26 AKV, 70 CCV and 205 BWV.

The resorts we own are all wrong for us as we stay SSR and AKV almost all the time and mix in an Epcot area resort here and there. But since we just grab a night last minute, we really don't use home resort priority so it matters not where we own. But if I could own the dream trio it would be SSR, AKV and RR and I'd just aEdlternate stays at those. The 301 points is an ok number. Maybe too many for now but 2 of our adult kiddos live up north (we've since sold the rental and our northern house and bought a permanent house near WDW but our fam is all up north) and someday if they marry and have babies we can do a week long family stay with them.

So we morphed from value to diverse. I guess a case could also be made as a ride or die flip flop type as we do set out for specific resorts...BWV since we own there, AKV for club level and SSR whenever we can't get BWV or AKV club. But I may also do RR (since it's my fave) or BCV if it's open. So, we aren't truly ride or die'ers. More so ride or die with our plans (Epcot, AK or DS are really all we like to go to...so no need for a MK resort).

Edit to add...just re-read OP and saw the opportunist. That's us now. As I am always logging in to see what's open for a Sat night. I will even book something and constantly change it before the date, as new things open. When just booking 1 night there are lots of opportunities that come up. Even AKV club level. We also have elderly parents with health issues up north so our 'plans' for when we want to be in FL and when we want to be up north are ever changing. We had an apartment up there and planned to be there July-Aug (when too hot in FL) and Nov-Dec (for Thanksgiving and Xmas with the fam) with a 3rd time we hoped would be around April but more flexible on that. Has NOT worked out that way at all. In fact , the past year we (or I) have been up north way way way more than planned. And not the times we planned. So we have to really just grab DVC whenever we are able and we may not know that until very last minute anymore.

So, yeah we are #6 now.

Last edited:
2 & 3

I would love to be 6, 7 or 8!

Home is SSR and we love it there. We did buy where we want to stay. We love DS and the walk there. Also the boat. However we do want to "try them all" and have to stretch the value since we are till traveling on school vacation schedules.

I generally stay where I own and book at 11 months. I do occasionally look for something at 7 months where I do not own and will some times wait list to see if I can get it. I do like trying out different resorts and I always do split stays, so I am staying at generally 3 different resorts every trip. I own at AKL, BLT, BRV, BWV, OKW and RIV.

We're probably a combo of 2 and 4 - we were 2 years ago early in our ownership, and have actually done all the Florida properties up to and not including Riv. Also, VGC. We no longer have that need, and are very happy to stay where we own, with the occasional opportunistic swap when it comes up (like doing the Cabins at CC when we had extra points and grabbed a single night!). But our approach has dramatically changed over the years, going from just our immediate family and kids for many years, to several extended family reunions with 20+ of us, to sharing extra points sometimes with friends for their own trips who otherwise wouldn't get to stay at an AKL or BC resort. We love the flexibility DVC time sharing has offered.

I’m definitely #2 currently, but will morph into #4 in time. Long term ( and currently) I use points as a snowbird since winter gets more horrible every year. In a few short years I’ll be free from school schedule and can spend 3-4 weeks per winter at wdw. Currently trying to become a point miser type of member but it’s tough. Would love to take my family to Hawaii but flights are $1200 (x4 😖 and 11-12 hours each way) each time I look, so that’s not going to become a regular trip. I canceled our June 2 bed at BRVseveral weeks ago and now DH is talking about wanting to go golf in Orlando. Good gracious I wish I still had that reservation. Now I’m stalking and presenting ideas🤪🤪🤪

After 15 years of ownership and staying at different places, we are now the Flip Flopper in that we pretty much do RIV or RIv and VGF every trip.

We do sometimes include a different one if plans change…or based on our point situation but find that those two meet are needs so well that it just doesn’t make sense to go other places!!

20 years into our ownership, we are presently a solid 6) The Opportunist tempered by geography. We are West Coast with Magic Keys (DLR APs) and enjoying short stays at either VGC or VDH using SSR points depending on availability.

As of right now, we are #2 and #3. We've stayed at OKW, PVB, AKV-K, SSR, BLT, and soon BRV. We will have done those stays across four trips (three as DVC members and all split stays). We bought at PVB but are now selling it. Just bought direct at OKW. Will likely buy a resale at a second resort at some point for our 2026 trip and beyond. We like split stays and want to experience all of the resorts at some point. Why I'm not fully #3 is we only stay LV at PVB and stayed in a Savanna view at AKV-K. But we also stayed at SSR because of the value and bought OKW because, well, it's OKW. We may try to book BCV, BWV, or the RIV if we stay a couple of nights before our Disney cruise next year.

We’re a mix of 2, 4, and 7. We have our favorites but also like to stay at a variety of resorts. At DLR we own at both and will mix it up throughout the year. We’ve been to AUL once and are planning our next trip.

As I have been reading many threads over the past few years, I have noticed that there are so many diverse approaches to ownership. The beautiful thing is that they all fit well for the people that use them. Most espouse the "Buy where you want to stay" mantra, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that because I am in a different group. So, what type of owner are you? Here are some that I've noticed. Most are probably a mix of these:

1) The Ride or Die

This is the "Buy where you want to stay - extreme version". This ownership type will only book the same accommodation, year after year, and has no desire to branch out (or they are a RIV, VDH, or CFW resale owner and can't branch out)...

2) The Diversification strategist

This is the ownership type that has the goal of staying at every DVC property and enjoys changing each trip up every time they go. They may have favorites, but trying something different each trip keeps things fresh...

3) The Value Investor

This is the ownership type that will look for whatever property will stretch those points out the farthest! Typically stays Sunday to Thursday. From HHI stays in January to AKV Value studios (if you can get them) to OKW 1 and 2 bedrooms to SSR, BLT, and AKV Standard View rooms to June stays at Aulani. They have mastered the skill of using the regular Disney Bus system as an internal bus setup at SSR (BTW, this is invaluable, if you don't know how to do this your SSR stay will be much worse) to get off at Congress Park to make your walk to Gideon's shorter and they know about the Gurgling Suitcase...

4) The Flip-Flopper

5) The Renter

This is the owner that DVC is trying to get the reins on. Makes speculative bookings and rents them out...

6) The Opportunist

7) The Aloha Spirit

This owner has discovered Aulani and what a great deal it is to use their DVC points at that awesome resort. Then they discover the Kapolei Costco, then Royal Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee, then Malasadas, then Marusame Udon, then Foodland Poke (IYKYK). The rest is history...

8) The Beachcomber

This owner has probably owned at HHI or VB for a long time and can snag one of those next to impossible Summer reservations at HHI or one of the Beach Cottages at VB. They understand the allure of the Green Cabin Room. Probably not fans of the dues, though...

Well, there are probably more, but these are a few that I can think of, and I thought it a fun exercise. We are probably a mix of types 2, 3, and 7 ourselves.
We are a mixture of 2,3 and 8.

This would be a cool poll to see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter