How do you organize your plans?

I make a spreadsheet but I'm the ONLY one who uses it. I prefer not to use my phone to check plans the paper copy is helpful. Honestly, I don't feel completely ready for my trip until my spreadsheet is done. After the trip it goes into my travel journal.

We don't plan other than reserving a hotel room. We do everything else the day of, book FPs on MDE and make ADRs on MDE.

Same here. I get tickets, room & transportation to WDW...sometimes we will sketch out a rough idea a week before depending on weather, but usually we wing it day of or day before.
Shockingly it works out for us:duck:Going again in May, same way.

We use Touring Plans and MDE. DH also used Excel to organize his thoughts before putting into Touring Plans. We plan a lot before the trip to make sure we are hitting upon everything the kids (and us) want to do.

So how does Touring plans work. I know it's a subscription service and it does a whole lot like crowd calendars, you can input alerts for reservations, etc. But for making itineraries do you just input what you want to do and it helps you put it in a logical order? Like based on where it is in the park? I have been peeping at it and I am interested. We are going in December so there are things we want to do like Christmas tree trail, and the storytellers at Epcot, can you input that kind of random stuff too into your itinerary?

So how does Touring plans work. I know it's a subscription service and it does a whole lot like crowd calendars, you can input alerts for reservations, etc. But for making itineraries do you just input what you want to do and it helps you put it in a logical order? Like based on where it is in the park? I have been peeping at it and I am interested. We are going in December so there are things we want to do like Christmas tree trail, and the storytellers at Epcot, can you input that kind of random stuff too into your itinerary?

I am not sure about the Christmas Tree trail, but yes you can select certain shows/events that you want to attend as well as rides you want to hit. There is also a place to input your 3 fastpasses, any dining plans and breaks you want to take. You also enter the times you will be in the park, and how fast/slow you will be walking or the pace you want to keep up. You can choose to minimize wait times, or minimize walking. Once all those variables are in, TP will generate an "optimized" plan of attack for you.

I did a LOT of playing around with touring plans in the system on our last big family trip - I didn't end up using them once we got there, but it gave me a really good sense of how to approach our days, where things were located (how far apart things were) and good times to hit certain attractions. There are definitely some who use it as a strict itinerary too, for me it became a learning tool that allowed me to "wing it" a bit more once we were actually there :)

I am not sure about the Christmas Tree trail, but yes you can select certain shows/events that you want to attend as well as rides you want to hit. There is also a place to input your 3 fastpasses, any dining plans and breaks you want to take. You also enter the times you will be in the park, and how fast/slow you will be walking or the pace you want to keep up. You can choose to minimize wait times, or minimize walking. Once all those variables are in, TP will generate an "optimized" plan of attack for you.

I did a LOT of playing around with touring plans in the system on our last big family trip - I didn't end up using them once we got there, but it gave me a really good sense of how to approach our days, where things were located (how far apart things were) and good times to hit certain attractions. There are definitely some who use it as a strict itinerary too, for me it became a learning tool that allowed me to "wing it" a bit more once we were actually there :)

This sounds like exactly what I want to use it for! I have no idea really where anything is in relation is to anything else, so I am looking for something exactly like this. My husband likes a firm schedule, and I am more of a 'wing it' type of gal. I think something like this would help us find a middle ground. Thank you so much. I think a subscription is a wise investment for us.

Honestly, I just put the dates /times of ADRs in my phone calendar, and I screen shot MDE to remember when our FPs are. Beyond that, we show up we ride, we conquer! Spreadsheets and color coding would make me anxious, and carrying around a paper with that info would probably not happen. We go to the parks a few times a year and mostly wing it.

I use TripIt on my phone for all our scheduled plans with confirmation numbers. This information is then used to create a Word document itinerary with ADRs, FastPasses, and important times for nighttime shows or parades. We may put times for other shows or character meets if we feel we really want to do those. If it's not scheduled as an ADR, or FastPass the rest of our time is winging it.

It took me a while to bite the bullet on paying for Touringplans, but I've been very glad I did. It's still not my one-and-only plan repository (that would be a bunch of stream-of-consciousness notes on my phone plus various Google spreadsheets), but it's a powerful tool in the arsenal. One perk I recently discovered is the Reservation Finder--put in your dream ADR and it will check for it regularly and text you if it comes open.
But yes, the main focus is crunching the numbers on attraction location vs wait time (using real data posted by users rather than Disney posted times) and optimizing your plan, with the option to adjust to preferring more direct route or shorter wait times. I also plan to use it in-park, as it shows current wait times and can re-optimize on the fly. For a given attraction it will say, e.g., "Wait to ride; lines will get shorter until x:xx," or "Ride now; lines get longer until..."

Pen and paper for us. We make a list of days we will be there, pick a park for each day, then start filling in the days. Once we know which parks we are going to, the rest kind of falls into place.
Instead of planning down to the minute, we generally have a broad plan of attack. We find a good mix of reservations and spontaneous time. Our plan for one day at MK might be: RD Fronteirland and hit HM and PC at some point. Eat lunch and use our FP+ for Fantasy Land. Make our way towards the boat to HDDR. After dinner slow down a bit and see what happens.

Using this approach, we are able to see everything we want to see, but also find time for new memories.

I'll quote myself since I posted my plans on another thread.
To plan the whole trip I made an Excel sheet that includes calendar, daily schedule and notes (Park times, ADRs, FPs, places to snack - colored coded to highlight the one that has Starbucks). This one I polish as I go.
Then I've a single sheet PDF with the daily info about the park, the ADRs with time & menus, the FP+ & all the other attractions/rides. This one goes in my backpack with the daily ADR confirmations prints & park map.
Finally I also use the WDW Vacation Checklist and the Packing List (both I've modified according to what I need).

I also must add my docs in Word & Excel turn into PDFs once I'm done twitching.

Attachments

• Pack.jpg
    Pack.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Daily.jpg
    Daily.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Checklist.jpg
    Checklist.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 43
Ok, I just have to say that I have found people whom I love on this thread!!!! Planners like me! LOL!
I love an excel spreadsheet for just about any vacation but definitely for Disney.

Also, here's another vote for Touring Plans. LOVED using it for a trip at the end of July a few years ago and plan to use it for the one this year. I definitely thought it was worth it!

Ok, I just have to say that I have found people whom I love on this thread!!!! Planners like me! LOL!
I love an excel spreadsheet for just about any vacation but definitely for Disney.

Also, here's another vote for Touring Plans. LOVED using it for a trip at the end of July a few years ago and plan to use it for the one this year. I definitely thought it was worth it!

My husband was laughing at me - we don't even have our ADRs yet and I've already got a couple of Touring Plans scenarios created for our August trip :) It just helps me get into the headspace of where to go at what times, so that by the time we arrive onsite I can be a bit more relaxed about our schedule!

My husband was laughing at me - we don't even have our ADRs yet and I've already got a couple of Touring Plans scenarios created for our August trip :) It just helps me get into the headspace of where to go at what times, so that by the time we arrive onsite I can be a bit more relaxed about our schedule!

I just booked our December trip this weekend and have already started my Word document with dates, times, confirmation #, possible park days based on looking at multiple crowd calendars. Even booked our room for the drive down on where we will stay during the journey to WDW.

I like doing a spreadsheet with a column for each day of the week. Inside each column, I write where I’m supposed to be & at what time if I have a tour or dining reservation, etc. I also write the times of my fastpasses. At the bottom of each column, I write the hours each park is open that day in case I decide to hop somewhere else at end of day. I like having the paper copy with me in case something happens to my phone. I recommend putting the paper copy in a ziplock or similar bag bc I neglected to do that the last time I went & my paper copy looked pretty abused & water damaged by the end of the trip.

I like using Google Calendar. The app seems to be less battery intensive than MDE, so I can save that for making additional FP selections or checking wait times. I start in GC by inputting my dining reservations and FastPass windows. Then I fill out my day with things I know I want to do outside my FP windows (shows, character meets, shopping, etc.) then I’ll add overlapping events in the FP windows, since rides don’t take a full hour - the latter is a big reason why I switched to GC from spreadsheets; it’s easier to make and see overlapping events. Also, every event has a notes field, where I can add information like how long the ride actually is and when I’m planning on arriving within the FP window.

One other nice thing about Google Calendars is how it looks if you add location information. It’s not necessarily important, but it’s a small bonus feature that makes using the app more enjoyable.

C014C2BD-035E-4CCE-BD17-DA50AA769A1D.jpeg

I have a Disney folder on my PC filled with daily plans, lists, tips, schedules, calendars, itinerary, etc. all on spreadsheets and charts. It helps me keep everything in order and I won’t forget anything. I also have a binder. I’m in the midst of planning now and it all comes n handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter