How do you decide what to do, what to skip?

la79al

DIS Veteran
I'm curious how others decide what to do and what to skip in each park. I am taking my 3 kids. For example, I don't need to see Illuminations again, I don't need to do Star Tours again, stuff like that. So do we skip them or should I let my kids experience them. I guess I'm asking more about shows since the later night will play into things.

Pretty much, I get the top thing each kid and DH wants to do at each park (and mine!) And I make sure those get done. Anything else is just extra (wonderful extra).

We open and close the parks. But we usually go in the winter when the hours are shorter. I would love to see illumiNations again since it is ending (if it hasn't already), so I wouldn't miss that chance personally.

OP here-- I should have mentioned that except for Magic Kingdom, none of the kids probably remember anything from any park.

I pre-plan my FPs and ADRs based on what I know the kids would really want to do. If there's anything outside of that which we really don't want to miss, we try to fit it in. Other than that, we play things by ear. Last trip, in the evening at HS I managed to score same-day FP for Fantasmic thinking the kids would love it. DD saw the short line for TOT and asked of we could keep riding that instead. So we did.

You're not going to see everything, so just focus on what you really think the kids will like best, then take it from there. For us, while we enjoy the shows, we don't go out of our way to make it to them. If we happen to be in the area and don't have other plans, then we go. If not, we don't worry about it. The rides are more important to my kids at the moment, so that's what we focus on.

OP here-- I should have mentioned that except for Magic Kingdom, none of the kids probably remember anything from any park.
So go through a couple of rides or attractions with them you think they might like and let then choose what they think sounds the best. My DD3 and DD6 didn't remember things really between trips but they found rides they thought they'd love and we went to those.

I base it on how much I like it or how interested I am in seeing it.
For example... I've seen F! and don't care for it so its not a must do. I've seen Illuminations and absolutely adore it so it is a must do.
I've seen VOTLM many times and enjoy it but if we don't watch it we don't watch in. On the other hand I've seen BATB every time I've gone since it started and it is one thing at HS that I absolutely must do if nothing else and I always go to the first show of the day.
I used to always go during the Christmas season growing up and loved that version of Country Bear Jamboree but the first time I didn't go at Christmas I saw the regular version and I will never see it again.
CoP is another that I absolutely must do and actually must do at least 3 times while I'm there lol.

Like PPs I ask the kiddos' opinions and follow through from there adding in the adults' wants too; guess we just compromise.
Oh and how many nights we are at WDW says how many FP and ADR choices everyone gets.
I do not make a habit of planning out our days from start to finish anymore and I try to take everyone's personalities into consideration. For instance, the man and I, are early risers but no one else is so we used to compromise by leaving for the parks by 9:30 AM most days. This forthcoming trip the time will be changed to FPs beginning at 11:00 since the rug rats want to sleep even later. Fine, means the man and I can take a peaceful walk and swim before the mini maniacs are up and about; sweet and all should be happy.

As for shows, currently the only ones we duplicate is the bird show at AK since it changes regularly and PhiloMagic (?) for that Fantasia nostalgia feel.

Last edited:
Remember this rule YouTube is your friend. I do all the planning for the vacations but I check with the girls and if there is any questions I have them YouTube the attraction/show. I have to do this because the 18 year old thanks Goofy's Barnstormer is scary while the 10 year old can't wait for Tron to open.

I basically just think about what my kids would enjoy, based on their favorite characters or movies, etc.

With OS' first trip, we knew he loved Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, and Buzz Lightyear, so we tried to plan our "must sees" based on those three and ended up with two character meets and an afternoon watching Jedi training (he was only 2 at the time--way too little to participate, and anyway, he said he wanted to hug Darth Vader, not fight him). Everything else was based on either (a) how easy is this to do with a small child and or (b) do we want to do this ourselves?

If I thought something would not work for my family’s schedule - like staying for fireworks too many nights - then I did not tell my kids it was an option. I did encourage them to look at the things i wanted them to see if they wanted to do - but felt no guilt in editing choices. :)

I never go into it with a list of "things we will skip." I more have a plan of a few must do's in each park and some things we know we also want to do. The rest is considered bonus points for me.

Last trip I had no desire to do Barnstormer but we walked by it one night and it had zero wait so we rode it.

If Illuminations and Star Tours isn't a must do for you then don't make them a priority or fit them into your plan. But when the day comes something may come up and you are in Epcot one evening and happen to be in WS as Illuminations start. Or you may be at DHS and walking by Star Tours and it has no wait so you ride it.

I'm curious how others decide what to do and what to skip in each park. I am taking my 3 kids. For example, I don't need to see Illuminations again, I don't need to do Star Tours again, stuff like that. So do we skip them or should I let my kids experience them. I guess I'm asking more about shows since the later night will play into things.

I don't need to do Star Tours again either (ever lol) but my kid loves it so we do it!

Instead of eliminating things I would focus on building the trip to include something for everyone. Have the older ones been before, if so do they remember it? If they have; and they have favorites you may want to include those and if not they won't know what they are missing. If they like certain characters I would be sure and include any rides or shows available and of course some meet & greets. Character meals are a great way to meet characters without standing in line, we always found a late lunch to be an ideal time for this.

I usually build they day by incorporating a favorite of everyones, booking the first 3 fastpasses and working from there. We are fireworks lovers so we usually take a pool break and return for the evening shows.

Um, if your kids don't remember anything from long-ago previous trips, why would you plan to skip anything? Even if, say Illuminations isn't a big deal, it might be a huge thrill for the kids. Now, I'm with you on Star Tours--last time, I came very close to hurling, even with Bonine onboard, and felt wonky for the rest of the day. So, I wouldn't do that one, but I'd hang out with a cold drink while DH took the kids on it.

I agree with the PP--pick one fastpasses ride per child per day, based on their likes/personalities. Then, as the mom, you get to see their shining faces light up as they enjoy!

Start with your priorities. Get FP+ for those first if available. For rides members of your group have not experienced before, prioritize based on how you you think your kids etc would like them. Check out the website and watch you tube videos to get an idea for what the attractions are like. Usually we skip things we've done before and weren't crazy over or rides with long lines that aren't worth the wait to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter