How do I get my son to take his meds?

We tried special straws, cups, tic tacs, frozen peas, all of it. Nothing worked until we tried this....

Use a cup of water with a straw. If the med is a capsule, hold the cup at chest level so the child has to bend their head down so they are looking right at the floor to take a sip. Put the capsule in their mouth and have them take the sip while holding cup at chest level. Capsules will naturally float on top of the liquid they sip, and with head looking down, in floating position, the capsule is automatically at the back of the throat. One swallow and down it goes, you don't even feel it.

If it is a tablet, put the tablet in their mouth, have them take a sip from a straw with cup at normal position,then tip the head back before swallowing. The capsule will slide down to the back on it's own.

the straw helps because then they don't take too big of a sip and choke. AFter 2 years of trying other methods off and on, my son was swallowing even huge capsules in about 2 days.

My son is 9 1/2 and has been taking lots of meds/supplements since he was 3. We used to mix in a shot of juice and let him guzzle and gag if need be. I highly recommend against hiding meds in anything. Tell the kid it is in there and may taste gross but the food will help, or just keep trying to teach them to swallow. If you keep hiding in food, and they keep figuring it out, they will start suspecting every food you give them and then just feeding them will be an issue!

When I had trouble swallowing large penicillin pills as a child, my mother put the pill in a blob of tuna salad. The strong flavor of the tuna masked the taste, and the oilyness seemed to help me swallow it.

I know this is a little older, but I figured I'd Post our success story in case anyone else finds this thread looking for ideas...

For my DS(7) we give him his adhd med in a spoon full of ice cream. He's aware it's there, and swallows it right down. He was also gagging on the pill as he tried to swallow it, but the ice cream lets it slide right down, and of course, is also delightful. His appetite has taken such a hard whack that I'm grateful I can get a mouthful of full fat dairy in him (we stick to more natural brands that are just milk/sugar/vanilla types for this everyday pill-taking). We do the same at night for his melatonin (2x5mg tablets in one spoonful).

Try giving the pills with a thick liquid, like Ensure (Pediasure for kids?) or a milkshake or such, instead of water/juice/soda. The thicker liquid helps push the pills down easier. It still may take several times of drinking/swallowing for the pills to go down, but it is easier than water! Also, make sure he has the time to take the pills and isn't trying to do it in a hurry, as that will cause his tongue to tense up even more and block entrance to the throat for the pills. Pushing the pills as far back as possible with the middle finger can help, too, but sometimes they still pop up to the front of the throat when the drink is introduced.

My son had the same problem so I give it to him with either applesauce or yogurt. He knows it is there, and has not had any problems swallowing.

I couldn't swallow a pill until I was about 14. It still almost makes me gag if I think about having to swallow a pill, especially if it's a big one. The only way I can take a pill is to hold it between my teeth(capsules pointed toward throat), turn the glass of water up, and when my mouth is filling up with water, let the pill drop into my mouth and wash it down. I still can't take but one pill a time. I know exactly how they feel.

My ds had a hard time . We put the pill back and a straw in front of it and he has to blast it down like on the Magic School Bus. My Dd could never do this and she is 13 . With her we have her hold her drink in her throat as if she was going to gargle (make bubbles is how I explained it ) close her eyes tip her head back and open her mouth .I drop the pill in and have her swallow .

My Mom used to us Jello and Grape jelly. A spoonful of grape jelly (the stickiness sort of kept the pill in the glob). I finally learned how to swallow in my 20's. Seems I swallow with my tongue on the roof of my mouth. .....had to learn how to swallow with it down. (How many of you swallowed when you read that???:). LOL Who knew!!

I, too, never could swallow down a pill 'til I was in my 20s. I'm in my 30s and still have a hard time doing it - but, I think I figured out a trick the other day! I find that if (after I stick the pill in the back of my mouth) I only put enough drink in my mouth for one swallow's worth AND put the tip of my tongue touching the back of my upper teeth, when I swallow, the pill will go down. (It will still work if you put too much drink in your mouth, but not until your last swallow, so it is best to only put enough for one swallow in your mouth so you get the pill down the first time. Then you can enjoy your drink.)

If you try this, tell me if it works for you (or your kid), too. I'm curious if it will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter