How did you meet your Significant Other?

g8trmom1

<font color=darkorchid>Hi, I'm Gatordad's wife....
This is always a good conversation. I'll start.
Pete and I met at college. We were at a Halloween Party. I was dressed as a 50's chick, poodle skirt and all. He was a Dr. in scrubs. All nite he kept coming up to me with his stethiscope asking if he could listen to my heart.
Quite the charmer, eh?

This is always a good conversation. I'll start.
Pete and I met at college. We were at a Halloween Party. I was dressed as a 50's chick, poodle skirt and all. He was a Dr. in scrubs. All nite he kept coming up to me with his stethiscope asking if he could listen to my heart.
Quite the charmer, eh?

Do you have pictures? You two sound so cute!

I don't have a current significant other but I'll share how I met my ex-husband. We met through friends and I really didn't like him, we didn't get along. Years later he started working at my old job and we hung out after work a few times and then started dating. I should've just kept my original opinion of him, would've saved me all the grief and money I spent on the divorce. :lmao: But then I wouldn't have my 2 DS's so it was worth it. :thumbsup2

We met on a blind date at a bar one night, about 5 years go. We started dating, and about 2 weeks in, I asked her where she graduated high school from. Turns out she said the same school and year as me. At this point, I was like wait, do I know you?

We actually went to middle school and high school together, and the second I saw her pictures from high school I instantly knew who she was (and her me). We both have changed quite a bit looks wise since then, which is why we didn't recognize each other. We weren't best friends or anything, but the kind of friends you would say hi and maybe eat at lunch with sometimes. We hadn't talked since high school, so it had been about 10 years since the last time we had seen each other.

The best part is when she brought out her 6th grade yearbook. She had a few girlfriends pictures highlighted, but only one guy in her entire 6th grade yearbook was highlighted, and that was me. Talk about a REALLY strange coincidence, we still have no idea why I was highlighted, I mainly remember her from high school...lol. It's almost like she knew that one day we would end up together ;)

I worked with my wifes older sister, and she lived about a block from the job, so we went to her house to partake in some illegal activities! I walked in and she was sitting on the couch watching TV, and I knew I was gonna marry that girl right then and there, or at least violate her in several different ways. We barely even spoke on that first meeting, but those long glances at each other couldnt be mistaken for anything but teenage heat. 6 months later, I stole her away and illegally took her across state lines to Atlanta, because we had nothing else to do and needed the adventure. She was still 17, I was 19....making our way in life.....we didnt have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of....but we did just fine on our own. After a few expected breakups and typical youth drama....we got married, and lived happily ever after. We are now in the process of the "gray" part of "growing old and gray together"....and, though there are ALOT of things I would do differently if given the chance.....ID never change a thing about that first day when I just thought I was going to get high after work again.
Thats my redneck fairytale. Im no Prince Charming, but I sure landed myself a royal broad!

I will stick with my answer from another thread...

Mail order catalog!

My dh and I lived in the same apartment complex across the pool from each other. He was one of those guys who sat down at the pool after work drinking beer with the guys! (not much has changed, ha) He was the "nice guy" who always spoke but never hit on me (like the other jerks)....so it was on, I went after him! :banana: Little did I know, that was his strategy? :confused3

Scott and I met in college. Not the same college, but when we were in college. Anyway, we were both at an audition in New Bern, NC. It was sort of like the way they do American Idol, with the panel of judges and they tell you if you are worth gracing the stage or not. I found a room to practice in before the audition and along came Scott! We talked instead of practicing.....

After the audition, I went back to the hotel I was staying in and who walks out? Scott! We spent the afternoon together (along with my friends and...ahem...a guy I was kind of dating). My girlfriends decided they were crazy about Scott, but could tell he was "into me". Well, I was "into him" too. That "guy I was kind of dating" knew it too and told me I could go out with him but I couldn't marry him! :lmao:

We both left New Bern. I knew his name was Scott and that he went to NC State. That's it. Well, I couldn't stop thinking about him. So I devised a plan. I was selected to do a scene for the National Theatre conference and I was allowed to choose my partner. How about Scott? I called NC State looking for some guy named Scott. With 35,000 students that's got to narrow it down, right? :lmao: He wasn't too hard to find. He was thrilled to hear from me, never suspecting we'd see each other again. A couple months later, he drove to Maryland to find me. A few months after that he proposed!

Now 13 years and 3 daughters later...he's still the boy from New Bern!

NEXT!!!

I moved to Sarasota, FL with my folks just shortly after my 19th birthday. We moved into a 55+ retirement community, and in 1973, Sarasota was NOT the place a 19 year old girl would want to move to. There was absolutely nothing to do but play bingo each night. I was not happy to say the least. My dad knew this & had to do something to keep me from moving back to WNY. Well, as fate would have it, this young, unsuspecting installer from the telephone company came to install our phone. My dad started asking him all kinds of questions about where the young kids hang out, what do they do, etc. This telephone guy thought my dad was probably a weird pedophile or something...but politely answered him. Then my dad let the cat out of the bag.... he had a 19 year old daughter who needed to be shown around town & connected with kids her own age. Would Mr. Telephone Man like to come over for dinner on Saturday and then take DD on a tour of Sarasota??:eek: Poor Rick was a starving 20 year old, and anything that sounded like a meal was too much temptation for him, so he accepted,,,, thinking that if this "daughter" was a real dog, he'd drive her around for 30 minutes and take her back home. In the meantime, my dad - who by this time was too smug for his own britches, came in and announced that he had me all set up for a date on Saturday!!! I couldn't believe it!!! This was the man who sat and laughed at me when I struggled to have one date get me back home in time for the next one... and he thought I needed help??? Needless to say, I was just a teensy-weensy pizzed off!!

Well... that was a month shy of 35 years ago,,,, and I'm still married to Mr. Telephone Man!!! I guess dad knew what he was doing.

Al has a similar story involving my dad,,, but I'll let him tell it when he comes back on Sunday.

Al & I have another brother who dad didn't make any "love connections" for, and even advised against marrying his "true love". This is the one who ended up divorced. He shouldda listened to dad!!!

I worked with my wifes older sister, and she lived about a block from the job, so we went to her house to partake in some illegal activities! I walked in and she was sitting on the couch watching TV, and I knew I was gonna marry that girl right then and there, or at least violate her in several different ways. We barely even spoke on that first meeting, but those long glances at each other couldnt be mistaken for anything but teenage heat. 6 months later, I stole her away and illegally took her across state lines to Atlanta, because we had nothing else to do and needed the adventure. She was still 17, I was 19....making our way in life.....we didnt have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of....but we did just fine on our own. After a few expected breakups and typical youth drama....we got married, and lived happily ever after. We are now in the process of the "gray" part of "growing old and gray together"....and, though there are ALOT of things I would do differently if given the chance.....ID never change a thing about that first day when I just thought I was going to get high after work again.
Thats my redneck fairytale. Im no Prince Charming, but I sure landed myself a royal broad!

.....Well, my heart went BOOM, when I crossed that room, and she held her hand in mine eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Well, we danced thru the night, and we held each other tight, and before too long, I fell in love with her-er. I'll never dance with another, oooooh, when I saw her standing there!!

....Some enchanted evening; you may meet a stranger! You may meet a stranger across a crowded room. And somehow you meet, if only by chance... and I can't remember the next line to this song.....

I grew up with a friend, named Dawn. She was a few years older than me, but we knew each other since we were little kids. She got married when I was 16 years old. While at the wedding, I glanced back and saw this cute boy walk in the door! I had no idea who he was, but I knew I really wanted to meet him!

So, at the reception, I asked around and found out that he was Dawn's cousin, Scott! (I never even knew she had a cousin!). So, being the bold hussy that I was at 16 :lmao: , I went up to him and asked him to dance!

Well, we danced the whole night, and by the end of the evening, I knew I was in love. :lovestruc

We dated through my senior year (he was already out of school and working) and got engaged 10 days after I graduated! Married the next spring! That was just over 25 years ago.

Weird......it sure doesn't seem that long ago....

Thanks for starting the great thread!! :yay:

Well, not anything too exciting for us. DH and I met in high school, yes we are high school sweethearts. He was actually more of a friend of my sisters. He kind of rescued me from a guy I was supposed to go to homecoming with that ended up being a jerk. The rest is history as they say. So, here we are 2 DS's and 27 years later and now going to be grandparents, who'd have thunk it?

He was a Dr. in scrubs. All nite he kept coming up to me with his stethiscope asking if he could listen to my heart.

You don't still believe that do you?

Me and my Wife are High School Sweethearts...actually, Middle School if you want to know the truth.:scared1:

You started dating her when she was in Middle School and you were in college??? cradle robber....

Our story is pretty corny, lol.

I met Chad when I was 14 and walked into choir class on my first day at a new school. I was nervous and not excited about having had to move. The first thing I saw when I walked into the room was Chad's smile and he had me right then. We did the whole silly "tell her I like her" and "can you give him a note from me" middle school thing, lol. We were friends for two years and started dating when I was 16.

He proposed for the first time over the radio after we had been dating for about 6 months. The station played love songs all night and he called me up and told me to listen. I recorded it on a little cassette tape which I think I still have.

He proposed again during my Jr. Prom the next year. He got down on one knee is a balloon filled gazebo in front of all of my friends and gave me a promise ring.

We were married a year after I graduated and have been married for 17 years now. :cloud9:

Well, not anything too exciting for us. DH and I met in high school, yes we are high school sweethearts. He was actually more of a friend of my sisters. He kind of rescued me from a guy I was supposed to go to homecoming with that ended up being a jerk. The rest is history as they say. So, here we are 2 DS's and 27 years later and now going to be grandparents, who'd have thunk it?

I think it's wonderful. I always like to hear about other high school sweethearts that have made it because all too often it goes the other way.

I met my husband when I was in high school. A friend of mine was dating a friend of his. Only he had broken up with someone else, and was spending what she considered way too much time hanging out with her boyfriend and being a bad influence. I guess my friend figured if she found another girl for him, her boyfriend would pay more attention to her. We went on a blind date..along with our mutual friends. He showed up at my home at 10:00 at night..because we were all going to a ......"disco!" :laughing: Yes..I'm dating myself but...It was the 70's! I had a fake id and was underage.(and you only had to be 18 to drink back then!) I was so nervous I'd be found out. He was older and allowed to drink. I was impressed! ;) When we were at the club, I remember his asking me "Do you like Blue Hair"..to which I replied "who has blue hair?":confused3 ..it was the name of the BAND!:sad2: I was such a dork..still am. :rotfl: He thought I was a good dancer(and said so)...and I thought he was handsome and older than any of the "boys" I had dated. Of course that's because he was! We were all dancing, and there was a slow song. When it was over, he pulled me gently toward him and lifted my chin, and his lips met mine.:lovestruc It was as if time stood still for a moment. When we looked our friends were already seated, and we were the only people still on the dance floor. They were all grining and laughing, and he took alot of ribbing from his buddies about "robbing the cradle". I'm only four years younger but at that age..they considered me a "kid". Anyway, he didn't think I was too dorky because he kept showing up at my school(he had already graduated from school in another town). It was my senior year, and I had to make up two years of gym classes that I had..ahemm.. previously avoided (..another thing my kids don't know about! :eek: ) ..and wasn't going to be able to graduate without them. So I literally played tennis three periods a day. At first he'd drive by and he thought I was quite the athlete playing tennis all the time. :laughing: Then he came to know the truth..and offered to play with me. :hug: Well, I did graduate...and he did take me to my senior prom, and a year later we were married, and four years after that we had our first child.
We've been married 32 years.
Like any couple we've been through lots of ups and downs..and everything that life can throw at you..we've been hit with it, and then some. It hasn't always been an easy road..but it's the road I'd choose again. :wizard:

Oh..and our mutual friends..they broke up. She found out it wasn't my husband taking up all her boyfriends time..but another girl!

What a great story, Phyl!!! I hated gym too, well...i appreciated gym because I could sneak under the bleachers and study Wild Wood Weed, but the other side of the bleachers was just too dang hot to be throwin a ball around in!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter