How come DCL isn't selling out?

Exactly... We had an early April 2020 WDW trip planned that we purchased with gift cards and sure enough it happened to us. Rather than going through the whole multiple gift card refund thing, which would have been trouble. We just kept rebooking our trip until we finally took the trip in spring of 2021. So for well over a year we had all that money tied up.

and you got extra credit at a rate higher than interest so... you came out ahead.

Ditto re Australian dollars for those in the south!
Absolutely! The price for the Sydney to New Zealand cruise is astronomically high (in AUD).

It may be popular because they're finally offering a down under cruise with some actual ports of call, but that is so very expensive for most Aussies and Kiwis.

More ships, higher costs but also, Disney is great for the younger age group but it can’t hold a candle to the activities offered to teens and young and older adults on say, The Icon. Even the RC Mariner of the Seas we are booked on for this fall has things my older teens can’t wait to do. Yes, they have kids clubs and teen clubs but do they have ice skating or flow riders or super slides? IMO Disney is really geared more to young children..it lacks for other age groups.

Absolutely! The price for the Sydney to New Zealand cruise is astronomically high (in AUD).

It may be popular because they're finally offering a down under cruise with some actual ports of call, but that is so very expensive for most Aussies and Kiwis.
I know, plus the Aus to NZ cruises are one way, so you either have to book a flight home or another cruise back.

More ships, higher costs but also, Disney is great for the younger age group but it can’t hold a candle to the activities offered to teens and young and older adults on say, The Icon. Even the RC Mariner of the Seas we are booked on for this fall has things my older teens can’t wait to do. Yes, they have kids clubs and teen clubs but do they have ice skating or flow riders or super slides? IMO Disney is really geared more to young children..it lacks for other age groups.
I agree with this. And I actually think DCL is going backwards in it's offerings for kids over 10.

The Vibe space on the Wish class is a serious downgrade compared to the Dream class. And rumor has it that on the Dream itself that there are going to be changes to the Vibe space during dry-dock to split it with Edge so they can use the current Edge space as another funnel suite.

Lighthouse Point has nothing to appeal to the over 10 set. That water play area is a downgrade for older kids compared to Pelican Plunge, no Hideout, no In Da Shade,- heck it doesn't even offer float rentals.

DCL changing Oceaneers to strictly 10 and under also impacted things. I have friends who would have sailed DCL but their oldest is now 11 and they don't want them free roaming the ship.

Also the Wish class seemed to focus so heavily on the kids stuff that areas like the adult pool are seriously lacking. Considering the current birth rate trends in the US none of these seem smart but what do I know. I would focus on making sure the adults paying for the sailings have more than a postage-stamp sized pool and with the option for shade but that is just me...

Last edited:
I agree with this. And I actually think DCL is going backwards in it's offerings for kids over 10.

The Vibe space on the Wish class is a serious downgrade compared to the Dream class. And rumor has it that on the Dream itself that there are going to be changes to the Vibe space during dry-dock to split it with Edge so they can use the current Edge space as another funnel suite.

Lighthouse Point has nothing to appeal to the over 10 set. That water play area is a downgrade for older kids compared to Pelican Plunge, no Hideout, no In Da Shade,- heck it doesn't even offer float rentals.

DCL changing Oceaneers to strictly 10 and under also impacted things. I have friends who would have sailed DCL but their oldest is now 11 and they don't want them free roaming the ship.

Also the Wish class seemed to focus so heavily on the kids stuff that areas like the adult pool are seriously lacking. Considering the current birth rate trends in the US none of these seems smart but what do I know. I would focus on making sure the adults paying for the sailings have more than a postage sized stamped pool and no shade but that is just me...
I totally agree. And on the Fantasy, the Cover Cafe is an afterthought. Very obvious.

Is there a significant different between Cove Cafe on the Magic/Wonder and Dream/Fantasy? They seemed very similar to me (far more similar than the adult nighttime areas).
They are comparable. I’m sorry, it was on the WISH. We had 1 coffee and never went back. Very small.

That's what my son said. They do have that extra space for 18-20 activities which is a nice thought. He's was 18 when we cruised on the Wish. He's said the Vibe "was awful" his words. He was shocked at how small it was. I did not look at it. He's cruised about 18 times in the vibe so I'll trust his opinion on that. He said if was still eligible for the Vibe he. would have disappointed.

After seeing the new itineraries, I don't know if we're gonna stick with dcl next year.. What other lines do yall recommend for 3 adults? I've been on royal Caribbean before, but not sure I'm thrilled with their itinaries
Look into Celebrity on an 7 or 8-night cruise out of Ft Lauderdale to the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). Two Sea Days each way. Aruba is often a long port day when ABC is the itinerary (they are very close together).

The location is just off the northern coast of South America, in an area considered to be out of the Hurricane zone. (When we visited last May, they were wrapping the season.)

Each island has its own feel and geography, but all are or were part of the Netherlands Antilles.

Aruba is especially focused on American tourism. Southwest flies there, there are many timeshares, and even US Immigration for outbound flights is completed in the airport (no need to do when you arrive in the States.

Bonaire is considered a divers’ paradise, with the option to dive from a ship or the shore. It is a laid-back country with a small population count. They have more elevation change than mostly-flat Aruba. Caves, donkeys, salt flats, flamingos, and a bunch of beaches. A fun activity is a golf cart rental (the local drivers are very kind - and no blaring horns at slow drivers). Bonaire is known to limit cruise ships, so finding a date a ship can visit may take a little searching.

Curaçao has colorful buildings lining the sides of its deep harbor. You can cross the harbor on a pontoon bridge which moves out of the way for ships entering/ exiting. There is a small ferry for backup. Lots of beaches here, also. This is probably more European influenced.

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and is their next level / more Premium and more adult-focused.

This itinerary was offered, alternating with an itinerary that included Barbados, this winter (I watched daily blogs by Captain Kate, their best known Captain).

Beyond is a newer ship than the Summit.

IMG_7709.jpeg

IMG_7708.jpeg

The targeting of the Wish is clear, families with young kids. Preferably to combine cruising with park visits. Short cruises to give a taster.

Maybe Disney just gave up on families with older kids / adult only groups. Maybe they thought 'we cannot win it from other cruiselines for this group, let them go.'

The targeting of the Wish is clear, families with young kids. Preferably to combine cruising with park visits. Short cruises to give a taster.

Maybe Disney just gave up on families with older kids / adult only groups. Maybe they thought 'we cannot win it from other cruiselines for this group, let them go.'
Exactly, its clear to me too. Disney are segmenting and targeting different types of people with the different ships and now with the private islands. The hardcore DCL fans dont understand that a one size fits all, as in the same things on every ship is not how it is. Disney are clearly saying if you like this type of experience, this ship is for you, if you like that type of experience, that ship is for you.

Exactly, its clear to me too. Disney are segmenting and targeting different types of people with the different ships and now with the private islands. The hardcore DCL fans dont understand that a one size fits all, as in the same things on every ship is not how it is. Disney are clearly saying if you like this type of experience, this ship is for you, if you like that type of experience, that ship is for you.
That's fine but are they 'saying' it while people are booking? or do parents of teens hear that they booked the "wrong" Disney ship only after they paid $15k for their vacation?

That's fine but are they 'saying' it while people are booking? or do parents of teens hear that they booked the "wrong" Disney ship only after they paid $15k for their vacation?
It seem to me, that they are saying it before people are booking it. Im talking about outside the small insular world of Disney forums and social media of hardcore fans.

People know what their families like, need and want and choose things, in this case cruises to satisfy those needs. Thats basic marketing 101. So the young kids family market is what Disney are satisfying the like, wants and needs of. It does not matter that families of older teens age out and go to Royal, because, for every family that ages out of DCL or is priced out of DCL for whatever reason chooses a different cruise line, a new family will take their place.

Its like I said earlier in the thread about American cruise people getting burn out with Disney but the UK and wider European people only starting with DCL.

Its the normal life cycle of a customer.

My son saw the MS Cruise ad with the waterpark and go cart etc and said:"I don't want to go on a DCL anymore"
And thats my point. Different things for different people. Disney knows they dont have to be all things for all people. The demand for their product is high. They dont care that the family who is Gold CastAway Club Member is now going to Royal, because there are first time cruisers replacing them.

Except the classic and dream class ships are going to Lookout Cay... The Classic and Dream class ships have more IMO for older kids but Lookout Cay does not.

Wish class ships offer less for older kids but they are going to Castaway which offers more for teens.

If the classic & Dream class ships were mostly hitting Castaway and not Lookout Cay I could say well those sailings are for older kids and teens but thats not what is happening

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter