Hoop Dee Do or Backyard BBQ

Which would be better for a 5yr old boy?

• Total voters

Wes1stTrip2016

DIS Veteran
Which would be better with a 5yr old boy?

He probably wont eat anyway, lol, and DH & I are not picky when it comes to food - we just want our son to have the best time.

Please vote & post why one is better than the other for my little guy!

Thanks!

1) HDDR !
2) The BBQ is a ripoff, IMHO.

Mickey BBQ was always about one-half the price of the Hoop Dee Do Review. On the
popularity of DDP, they jumped the price double, including 2-TS coupons. WITH NO
CHANGE IN MENUS; NO CHANGE IN CHARACTERS; NO CHANGES AT ALL. Cost was
barely justified at lower prices, and not worth the current price. At least just not for
ribs-chicken-burgers.

Depends on how outgoing your kid is.
My 5yo had a blast at the BBQ. Character interaction was great, so that justifies the expense for me.
Adults typically will have a better time at HDDR.
You probably won't have a bad time at either.

I have never done the BBQ but we love HDDR.

I researched the BBQ and, to me, it seems like you're paying a lot of money for being partially exposed to the elements, sitting on tables with backless benches, and having to line up for mediocre food. In contrast at HDDR, you're in a climate-controlled environment with much more comfortable seating, better entertainment, and higher quality food that is brought to your table.

All that being said, I have no idea which one a 5 year old would prefer (he may actually prefer the BBQ because he'd wouldn't have to sit the whole time).

BYBBQ was probably the only experience in our many trips that we can all say we hated. The Dance party with characters is a free-for-all with kids pushing each other to get to the characters. CMs ask parents to not block the dance floor, but instead of getting up, getting a quick shot with the camera and then stepping back, they hogged the perimeter blocking other parent's view. My daughter actually asked if we could leave because as she put it, "these kids are so rude", and DH & I were more than happy to oblige. Maybe we just got a bad night, but we certainly would not try it again to find out!

On the other hand, HDDR was lots of fun, and we've seen it many times.

Weve taken our girls at age 4 and the oldest was 10. They all Loved it. Now close to 10 years later its a must do for us every trip! We as a family LOVE it! We tried the BBQ and we found it unorganized I guess and kinda boring. But that's just my family.

We have booked the BBQ on the Saturday that we are arriving (we won't be going to the parks till the following day). My son loves Mickey, and he loves to dance. I'm not expecting the best food because they are cooking for a lot of people, but I do enjoy BBQ. My friend recommended that I do the BBQ over HDDR, but my son is 3.5 years old and my daughter is 18 months. I think they will have fun dancing and interacting with the characters. I have read elsewhere, that we will be able to see the fireworks from the lake near the BBQ. My son is also obsessed with fireworks, so this will be a bonus for him. I feel like i'm kinda getting a little extra piece of Disney by booking it on the day we arrive. I didn't want to use park tickets on a day with check-in being at 3pm and us driving 12-13 hours.

1) There you go.
2) Based upon the replies, going to the BBQ is an unqualified, indisputable . . . maybe.

:cool1:

My kids and I LOVE the HDMR!!! It was loud and rambunctious enough to hold their attention, the food is extremely kid friendly (chicken, mashed, ribs and mac and cheese) and you will get beer and wine. The show is funny and the performers are all around the audience interacting. And at the end of the show they hand out washboards to play so you can make a ton of noise.
NO characters, but this is a show I could do a BILLION times and it wouldn't get old.

Well, it mostly depends on your kid's individual personality. But I'll ALWAYS recommend the HDDR over the BBQ because it's climate-controlled and they bring the food to your table, and add that I've never seen a kid (or adult, for that matter) of any age who didn't thoroughly enjoy him- or herself there.

We have never done the BBQ, but we LOVED HDDR! I've read many reviews of the BBQ and that has steered me away from it. The HDDR won't disappoint though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter