Honest opinions: Pop Century

We are DVC member, too. We REALLY like Pop. The rooms are fine, just not as much soundproofing as there is at a deluxe. The food court is really good. If you’d like a visual treat, walk across the bridge to AoA and check out that resort. The theming is stunning. Their food court has some very good selections, also.

I’m going to disagree that Deluxe rooms have better sound proofing. The noisiest neighbors we have ever had was at BC (as in I could hear every word of their conversation) and one of the outer buildings at the GF.

I’m going to disagree that Deluxe rooms have better sound proofing. The noisiest neighbors we have ever had was at BC (as in I could hear every word of their conversation) and one of the outer buildings at the GF.

Resorts where the rooms open to the outside rather than an interior corridor are more prone to random noises because it's the whole resort on the other side of the door, not just those walking down your corridor. It's not a deal breaker for me, and I'm staying at Pop this fall, but overall, I find hotels with interior corridors to be a bit quieter.

Resorts where the rooms open to the outside rather than an interior corridor are more prone to random noises because it's the whole resort on the other side of the door, not just those walking down your corridor. It's not a deal breaker for me, and I'm staying at Pop this fall, but overall, I find hotels with interior corridors to be a bit quieter.

And I feel the opposite simply because of the thicker/weatherproof door at the values & mods.

In short, noise is everywhere. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you aren’t.

I’ve been a flight attendant for five years so I’ve stayed in an absurd number of hotel rooms, from run-down motels to 5* resorts. Pop Century suits my needs at WDW to the point that I feel no need to spend more to stay somewhere else. The rooms are reliably clean and free from the mildewy smell you often find in humid climates. The beds are big enough for me and my boyfriend to share, and the bus service has been quite frequent in my experience. I use the food court for a few meals each trip and the chefs have always been just as personable and attentive to my dietary restrictions as the ones at more expensive properties. During marathon weekend in January, it’s usually too cold to use the pools so I hardly feel like I’m missing out on that aspect of deluxe/DVC resorts.

It comes down to your travel style and your needs. In my opinion, the facilities and service at Pop Century make it a worthy choice.

We usually stay in vacation homes or mid range to higher end hotels when we travel, and usually moderate or deluxe resorts if we stay onsite. Although, after my last stay at a moderate, I think it may be deluxe or off an property house from now on.

We did Pop once for a quick weekend stay because we got the room for $70/night. As much as I didn’t want to stay there, I couldn’t justify spending more money on such a quick trip. It was ok. I didn’t hate it, but it wasn’t my favorite either. It was small and the room felt like a motel (which it was). I also remember there were really bad bugs outside the room. Not sure if that was a Pop thing or just the time of year. The outside decor didn’t really bother us as it is simply part of the theming. It wouldn’t be my first pick, but we did enjoy walking around looking at it all. We also enjoyed walking over to AoA and taking pics with the Lon King and LM decorations.

Overall, I didn’t regret staying at Pop. It met our needs. However, I wouldn’t stay there again, and not really because it was lacking anything specific. I knew what I was getting into, and I wasn’t expecting 5 Star. I knew we wouldn’t be in the room except to sleep. I knew we didn’t need all the extra amenities and wouldn’t be around to use them anyway. I was just looking for nice, clean, and on Disney property which Pop fulfilled. However, I didn’t realize how much I just wouldn’t feel comfortable there. I’m not sure exactly what it was, but I was never able to really relax in the room. I think the door opening to the outside kind of made me a little uneasy, and the room itself just didn’t have an inviting atmosphere to me. On top of that, with all our stuff crammed in such a small place, it felt a little claustrophobic and cluttered. So, in the end, I realized this just wasn’t the place for me. I know what I like in a room, and this one didn’t stack up.

I actually stayed at CB at Uni (which is a value) and was surprised to find I really liked it, so I don’t think it’s necessarily the value status, you have to consider, as the hotel itself. CB had interior corridors and the room was inviting and relaxing to me. I felt comfortable there.

So my advice is know what you like and don’t like about the places you’ve stayed in the past and then compare that to Pop. I don’t think it’s necessarily the resort tier that matters, but the little details, the theming, color, bedding, room configuration, etc. Are there enough outlets for everyone to charge their devices? How is the bathroom configured? Is the light adequate? Those little differences can really make a difference in how much you enjoy a room / resort.

Will you hate it, and it ruin your trip? Probably not. Will you decide it’s not really for you, possibly.

Can you elaborate on this? Spiders, roaches, "love bugs"? (My imagination is running wild...!!)

None of the above. I remember the mosquitos were really bad, but that was all over Disney that trip, not just Pop. This was some other type of flying insect that was really annoying. I don’t remember exactly what type. I didn’t stick around long enough to really get a good look at them. My main objective was to get past them and into the room as quickly as possible. Maybe some kind of gnat or fly? They were small flying black bugs in swarms. They weren’t in the room, but outside of it, attracted to the outdoor lighting. It was so bad it was to the point where we didn’t want to turn on the light in the room until the door was shut because as soon as you’d open the door, they would try to swarm in toward the light.

I’m from the south. I’m used to bugs. I know they are going to happen. But this was different. This was someone hasn’t sprayed, and they are out of control. Made walking outside at night to the room lots of fun! They didn’t eat us alive or anything, but they sure were annoying to navigate through. I didn’t notice them everywhere, but they were all around the building we were in which I think was near some trees and closer to the lake. I figured if we had had a room farther from nature, it probably wouldn’t have been so bad, as I didn’t see the bugs up by the main building.

It wasn’t a huge deal for us. Again, being from the south, I’ve faced much worse bug problems at home. It was more an annoyance, and for all I know, the other resorts were experiencing the same bug related issues. However, this was the first and only time I’ve really run into bug problems on a trip, so who knows.

Can you elaborate on this? Spiders, roaches, "love bugs"? (My imagination is running wild...!!)

None of the above. I remember the mosquitos were really bad, but that was all over Disney that trip, not just Pop. This was some other type of flying insect that was really annoying. I don’t remember exactly what type. I didn’t stick around long enough to really get a good look at them. My main objective was to get past them and into the room as quickly as possible. Maybe some kind of gnat or fly? They were small flying black bugs in swarms. They weren’t in the room, but outside of it, attracted to the outdoor lighting. It was so bad it was to the point where we didn’t want to turn on the light in the room until the door was shut because as soon as you’d open the door, they would try to swarm in toward the light.

I’m from the south. I’m used to bugs. I know they are going to happen. But this was different. This was someone hasn’t sprayed, and they are out of control. Made walking outside at night to the room lots of fun! They didn’t eat us alive or anything, but they sure were annoying to navigate through. I didn’t notice them everywhere, but they were all around the building we were in which I think was near some trees and closer to the lake. I figured if we had had a room farther from nature, it probably wouldn’t have been so bad, as I didn’t see the bugs up by the main building.

It wasn’t a huge deal for us. Again, being from the south, I’ve faced much worse bug problems at home. It was more an annoyance, and for all I know, the other resorts were experiencing the same bug related issues. However, this was the first and only time I’ve really run into bug problems on a trip, so who knows.

What time of year was this?

What time of year was this?

End of January. Which is what makes me think they hadn’t really sprayed. Bugs tend to die in the cold, but it was in the high 70s during our trip, so I’m thinking maybe warmer than average temps lead to extra bugs.

End of January. Which is what makes me think they hadn’t really sprayed. Bugs tend to die in the cold, but it was in the high 70s during our trip, so I’m thinking maybe warmer than average temps lead to extra bugs.

Weird. Disney is so good at keeping bugs under control, and am sure they have a standard schedule. You could be right that warmer than usual winter and the large amounts of rain the last few years have changed the normal needs for spraying. And not sure which January, but it seems that each time Disney does construction that disrupts the dirt or water we get a visits from lots of critters and insects. There is so much happening all around POP that they likely need to up their awareness.

Weird. Disney is so good at keeping bugs under control, and am sure they have a standard schedule. You could be right that warmer than usual winter and the large amounts of rain the last few years have changed the normal needs for spraying. And not sure which January, but it seems that each time Disney does construction that disrupts the dirt or water we get a visits from lots of critters and insects. There is so much happening all around POP that they likely need to up their awareness.

Living in the south, I understand that sometimes bugs get out of control quickly, so hopefully it’s all under control now. I wouldn’t worry too much. I haven’t heard any complaints recently, and if it was an ongoing problem, someone would be complaining. It also didn’t really factor in too heavily into my decision that Pop wasn’t for me. I think I’m just not a motel style room kind of girl.

The new beds at Pop are the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

I’m glad to hear the beds have improved, as that was a big point for me in not wanting to return. I found the bed hard and the blankets too thin. I think I’ve just been spoiled by soft squishy Hilton brand beds with large heavy comforters which I really love. I’m one of those weird people who can only sleep with weight on me.

Having stayed in both deluxe and value resorts, I think as long as you know what to expect, you will be happy.

I can tell you the things I like about Pop that are *better* than the deluxe resorts I have stayed in (IMO):

1) quick service variety is more plentiful than at the deluxe resorts I have stayed at - especially at Pop where you can go to the Pop or AoA for quick service variety. This has become more important as my kids got older and no longer want to spend a lot of time eating in restaurants. They want to eat and be on the way.
2) obviously the price! :-)
3) the bus stop has a queue, which means if you get there first, you get on first. Love that about Pop. I cannot stand how the mod and deluxe resort bus stops work. We would get there early, wait and wait and wait and a huge party would walk up right before the bus arrived and push through to get on before us. That happened repeatedly and gave me anxiety. Call me crazy, but I want to get in a queue for the bus.

We have stayed at Pop and will stay there again this summer. We stayed at AKL last year.

We have gotten exactly what we expected at Pop. It's a value resort, but there are still resort activities, some pools, service to the parks, a food court, and a bed to sleep in. There is a pool bar that I have heard good things about but never used. Mousekeeping and friendliness of the staff has been excellent. This year's trip was a last minute booking for us, and we are checking in, doing 4 park days, and heading home. On longer stays I might want more amenities, but did not feel the need for it on this trip.

Times have really changed in regards to price. The last time we booked Pop for a January stay, Disney later came out with free dining deal or 30 percent off rooms. We called added it on, as we had never done the dining plan before. They allowed us to upgrade from QS to the regular dining plan for a small fee. The room was just under a hundred bucks a night. Now that was a deal!

We are DVC members so usually stay at a DVC resort. Due to bad planning on my part, I completely didn’t take into account that there is a Run Disney event during our dates and all DVC properties are booked up. I’ve set up a waitlist but not holding much hope for that so have booked a 3 night stay at Pop Century.

So, my question is will I be disappointed with Pop? I’ve stayed at Deluxe and Mods so am now worried that pop will feel a bit of a let down. Honest opinions would be appreciated.
We also own DVC and have stayed in Value Resorts when we have a late arrival just to save on points. I would never spend an entire trip at any of them, POP included. IMO, for the slight increase in cost, the Moderate Resorts offer a lot more. However, for a short stay such as yours, the Values can be tolerable.

My advice is to accept POP for what it is...a motel, not a hotel. Don't compare it to your DVC villas or you will definitely be disappointed.

Two years ago, I was in your shoes. After several club-level stays at the deluxes, a last minute family emergency resulted in a re-schedule from club-level Poly in July to a quick 3-night weekend trip in October. I couldn't justify spending so much money on the resort knowing that we'd be maximizing every minute at the parks. I went for a military discount at Pop and grabbed two rooms for our family. Without a doubt, I was disappointed about not going back to the Poly. We had never stayed at a value and I had no idea what to expect. In turned into one of those "it's an adventure!" moments. We were all pleasantly surprised! It was just as clean and fun as any deluxe. We loved their massive food court with so many food options and plenty of seating. It's a well-oiled machine that is incredibly efficient. Regarding only having bus transportation, we loved the reduced wait times.

To be sure, it's a different feel from the deluxes, but Pop is still a blast to experience. Campy as it sounds, we had to get photos with all the giant statues! Relax and just go with it. We're going back to Disney in August and Pop Century won the family's vote as the requested resort. :flower:

Firstly, thank you for all your replies :thanks:

I definitely have an open mind about staying at Pop and really want to like it. My daughter is 5 and I think she will love seeing all the larger than life decor. Our stay is November so I believe all the room refurbs should be completed. We're not planning on spending too much time at the resorts and pool time will be dependant on the weather.

The first part of our stay is 5 nights at the Poly, followed by 2 nights at Vero Beach. We then go to Pop for 3 nights and then onto Saratoga for 7 nights.

Am I right in thinking that Art of Animation is within walking distance? That'll give us a choice of 2 food courts.

I guess I'm not so worried about being disappointed myself, I just don't want the rest of my family to be.

We noticed a ton of bugs (like a crazy ton) when we were at Contemporary in Oct last year. Apparently it's not that unusual but they were EV.ER.Y.WHERE on the walkway between the main building and the garden wing. Like so thick my husband and I and another guest were all squinting as we got closer to see what it was and were all kind of shocked by how many bugs there were. They were small black flying bugs, not mosquitos, but they were rampant. We stayed at AKL the same trip and didn't see any, so not sure what they were, but the staff were actively working on it with little success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter