• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood Studios Strategies

Not anyone...the location of where you are at will definitely matter...how much and where that location still remains unkown.,

This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.

Until "nearby" is defined we don't really know alot but we know not anyone will be able to get a BG
I believe the wording is there just as a precaution, and they will use the honor system, i don't believe they will actually track your location. Basically saying you need to be within an hour so you can make it when your bg is called.
Of course the only way to test this is by someone that's not nearby tries and gets a bg

Who is "someone on twitter" that said this that resolves the issue and how is that determined? What if I am in the queue at Hagrids at 5 pm on a Friday, can I make it to RotR in an hour?
The link has been shared in about 3 threads, the news and rumors, the swge bg thread and operations. Sorry can't go digging for it now

I guess I'll see it when someone shares the link on a thread I'm in...Im not going to hunt for it either. "Within an hour" is just as vague as "nearby" to me until Nov 3.

I guess I'll see it when someone shares the link on a thread I'm in...Im not going to hunt for it either. "Within an hour" is just as vague as "nearby" to me until Nov 3.
I honestly believe it'll be an honor thing and not related to time or distance at all, i have park reservations on the 4th, I'm sure we will get reports by them but I'll check back in that day to share my experience trying to get it from home

I believe the wording is there just as a precaution, and they will use the honor system, i don't believe they will actually track your location

Universal does..I don't think expecting WDW to do the same is expecting anything abnormal but again...until Nov 3 I don't think anyone's opinion on how "nearby" is defined should be the focus, the fact is, we don't know.

It could mean literally from anywhere so long as you have a park reservation, it could mean anywhere connected to Disney wi-fi or many places in between...how nearby is defined isn't bogging into the wording or detail because it makes an incredible difference in how to plan a HS rope drop day with RotR being a priority

Universal does..I don't think expecting WDW to do the same is expecting anything abnormal but again...until Nov 3 I don't think anyone's opinion on how "nearby" is defined should be the focus, the fact is, we don't know.

It could mean literally from anywhere so long as you have a park reservation, it could mean anywhere connected to Disney wi-fi or many places in between...how nearby is defined isn't bogging into the wording or detail because it makes an incredible difference in how to plan a HS rope drop day with RotR being a priority
Universal states you have to be on property at citywalk to ferry in and I have gotten into Hagrid's on the I4 universal Blvd ramp.
I think If you needed to be on property Disney would say specifically

I changed my plans just to test this out on Wed. We are a 25 min ride (near MCO) from HS. I will start at 7:00. Since RoR isn't one of our goals, it's no loss for me if it doesn't work. I'll try to report back by 7:10AM; however, I suspect others will post ahead of me. The non-resort but "within 15 minutes of WDW" bloggers will be on it. We are still searching for a full RR ride, and this new system may offer the possibility of shorter waits for that attraction. AND-----the temps (real temps, too) are dropping for a few says.
EDIT: I didn't read my info blog carefully enough--or I missed it by drop-one/pick up one with my 3-day switcheroo. I thought it started on the 4th. Anyway, we'll all know before then! Magic Kingdom should be good on Tues.

Last edited:

Again, nothing more than an opinion. I agree, going back and forth on how people interpret it is bogging down on the wording. Not alot of positive things are going to come out of that

However, discussing how to implement the different possibilities can be productive in the same manner discussing RD strategies with knowing exact park opening times are now.

Disney stated nearby which is a vague term which definitely implies (if not flat out states) your location will matter. BUT, if you want to believe it won't because of someone on Twitter, okay. I'll wait to see how "nearby" is defined and applied before consider the issue resolved and look forward to hearing more first person accounts next week.

I believe the wording is there just as a precaution, and they will use the honor system, i don't believe they will actually track your location. Basically saying you need to be within an hour so you can make it when your bg is called.
Of course the only way to test this is by someone that's not nearby tries and gets a bg

This is my personal speculation, as well.

Think about it. Why add a location filter to the system? Who would try for a boarding group/have a park reservation for that day, without being close enough to WDW to make it there in time to use it? That’s not a rhetorical question — I know there are some people who would do it, just to see if it works, out of curiosity. But first of all, those people would have to have an AP with park days to kill, or a ticket for that day. A small group. And what would be the harm (to Disney) of allowing them to be in a boarding group? None. In fact, it would make the queue move faster (because they wouldn’t be there), so more groups could be released at 2, for guests already in the park.

Of course, that is my personal musings on it. I might even try, with my AP sitting in Ohio, as an academic experiment...

Why add a location filter to the system?

It already has one

Who would try for a boarding group/have a park reservation for that day, without being close enough to WDW to make it there in time to use it?
I might even try, with my AP sitting in Ohio, as an academic experiment...

And what would be the harm (to Disney) of allowing them to be in a boarding group? None. In fact, it would make the queue move faster (because they wouldn’t be there), so more groups could be released at 2, for guests already in the park.

Having anyone no-show for any reservation can always have drawbacks. Just the unpredictability can cause issues with manpower, staffing, etc.

Last edited:
Dumb guy question; under what scenario would you go to the trouble of getting a park reservation , then joining the scramble to get a boarding group @ 7a if you are not within driving distance of the park to get there when the boarding group time comes up?

Edit; just noticed subtchr just asked the same question - sorry! Maybe if you are travelling to WDW and only plan on spending the afternoon @ DHS?

Dumb guy question; under what scenario would you go to the trouble of getting a park reservation , then joining the scramble to get a boarding group @ 7a if you are not within driving distance of the park to get there when the boarding group time comes up?

Exactly why I don't think Disney will give a hoot about where you're located when you try.

It already has one

Having anyone no-show for any reservation can always have drawbacks. Just the unpredictability can cause issues with manpower, staffing, etc.

It’s not a location filter. It’s a filter that checks MDE to see if a guest has scanned into the park that day. You could scan in and leave, and still be eligible for a boarding group.

Manpower? Staffing? On RotR? 100% every minute it’s operating. Done.

It’s not as if thousands, or hundreds, or even dozens of guests would do this on any given day. The pool is small to begin with — a bored AP with park reservations to burn.

It’s all speculation at this point. There may well be a location filter. I don’t see the need, but I guess we will see. As for the rumored “within an hour” determination, how do you define that? I can fly to Orlando in less than an hour from Atlanta or several other cities. Even driving, which direction? As I wrote, I’m just ruminating on the possibilities.

Exactly - the defining data point to include you in the group to qualify for a BG is the DHS park reservation, not your location. Sure, AP holders in all locations who get a random park reservation to test the process could experiment but it makes no sense for anyone else.
As others have said, seems like this would reduce crowds across some of the known pressure points.
Now Disney should work on perks for resort guests. We’re paying for a deluxe resort with no benefits - other than ability to easily walk over to a park. However seems everyone is now making dummy mobile orders to skirt security, enter resorts and do the same.

Prior to the pandemic, it was not necessary to do anything to "skirt security". Resorts were open and accessible to all. I don't see that Deluxe "perks" have changed - interior hallways, better dining options, nicer pools and easy access to 1 or more parks - still available.

Who would try for a boarding group/have a park reservation for that day, without being close enough to WDW to make it there in time to use it?

This is crazy but I'll put it out there:

If they don't restrict it by location and I were a Disney-planning Travel Agent (which I am definitely not), what would stop me from having my own AP, being a part of my clients' MDE party, getting an HS park reservation, and sitting in my office 1,000 miles away to enter for a BG? Is there a maximum number of people that can be in a party? Do all members of the party have to show up to ride?

Same concept if you can convince a friend w/an AP who isn't traveling with you to hop on MDE when they go to work that morning in Boston to do you a solid.

I understand this may be right up there with Government Helicopters and the Zapruder Film. But hey if I'm going to be chastised for being OT I'm going for gold.

This is crazy but I'll put it out there:

If they don't restrict it by location and I were a Disney-planning Travel Agent (which I am definitely not), what would stop me from having my own AP, being a part of my clients' MDE party, getting an HS park reservation, and sitting in my office 1,000 miles away to enter for a BG? Is there a maximum number of people that can be in a party? Do all members of the party have to show up to ride?

Same concept if you can convince a friend w/an AP who isn't traveling with you to hop on MDE when they go to work that morning in Boston to do you a solid.

I understand this may be right up there with Government Helicopters and the Zapruder Film. But hey if I'm going to be chastised for being OT I'm going for gold.

How would this be more helpful than just getting the boarding pass yourself?

The monkey wrench is Park Reservations. You have to have one. So your friend in Boston might be able to get a park reservation for the day you are going to DHS but he would have no better chance of scoring a BG than you would so why would you/he bother? In the case of the TA, they would have to constantly update their park reservations to get BGs for clients who have the ability to do it themselves that day. I cannot imagine asking my dear TA to do such a thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter