Holding account points WWYD?

Kazi7

Mouseketeer
I had rented out 64 points of our points on Davids awhile back and I just found out that they cancelled within 30 days, so I have 64 points in my holding account. I'm now thinking of taking a quick trip with my mom this fall with those points. Looking at availability within 60 days, there would be a couple of things that work in early/mid November but I'm not super excited because my husband and I are already going down the week after Thanksgiving. Alternate plan would be trying to get something in early/mid February when I'm ready for a break in winter. But I'm concerned about availability--if there's nothing that works, then the points will expire March 1st. Should I take the bird in the hand now or hope for two in the bush later? (I realize I could try to re-rent them, but I don't really want to hassle with it at this point.)

I don't mind the risk. A break from winter sounds really good in February.

I thought you couldn't cancel a reservation made through David's? Especially when you get paid most upfront.

I didn't cancel the reservation. My renter apparently either cancelled or didn't show up. Davids doesn't know what happened. And yes, they already paid me in full, so the 64 points back to me is a bonus.

I didn't cancel the reservation. My renter apparently either cancelled or didn't show up. Davids doesn't know what happened. And yes, they already paid me in full, so the 64 points back to me is a bonus.
I had always wondered what would happen in a case such as this. I am glad you received the "bonus" points. Since they were free points (in a way) it would not be so bad if you took a risk and waited for a winter break.

The extra trip wouldn't be free, even with bonus points. Transportation, food, tickets (if you don't have already an AP) and all the extras one is tempted to buy once there. So I'd try to make the most of it and do it when it's more convenient. And I bet that if you found something for October, it wouldn't be more difficult in February if you avoid presidents week and the thinkerbell half marathon week end.

Have you double checked that something wasn't done at the resort and they used new points for the reservation and left the others in holding? There are often reports of that. And it wouldn't necessarily even be a change the renter asked for, although it could be, but sometimes if the resort needs to change something they mess up the points. If that was done you should be able to contact MS to have the points removed from holding status.

What I didn't know with David's was that you could rent fewer than 100 points?

I don't think they have a minimum. I've rented 30pts with David's.

I don't know if there was ever an official policy of minimum to rent. Since they have way more requests than points to rent (according to their website), as long as you have enough to fill a request, you can rent through them.

LAX

Last edited:
I say just rent the points our again. Big discount and then you still have more cash in pocket. You had already gave up the points, so look at it that way. Use the extra money for a nice couple of dinners when you do go back.

In RED. I don't understand all this. First off if they cancelled inside 30 days they would go into holding. Second, if they just didn't show up (a guess you mean day the ressie started). Those points would be forfeited in total. Am I missing something or am I wrong?

Have you double checked that something wasn't done at the resort and they used new points for the reservation and left the others in holding? There are often reports of that. And it wouldn't necessarily even be a change the renter asked for, although it could be, but sometimes if the resort needs to change something they mess up the points. If that was done you should be able to contact MS to have the points removed from holding status.

What I didn't know with David's was that you could rent fewer than 100 points?

+1. If the OP ("landlord") didn't cancel the reservation, then how did they go into holding?

In RED. I don't understand all this. First off if they cancelled inside 30 days they would go into holding. Second, if they just didn't show up (a guess you mean day the ressie started). Those points would be forfeited in total. Am I missing something or am I wrong?

Correct, not showing up would forfeit all the points. And only the owner should have been able to cancel. That's why I asked the question about other points being used and points left in holding in their place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter