• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Holder for Blue Badge (disabled parking)

WDWFOREVER

<font color=blue>Has splinters in her tooshie from
We are off in 3 weeks and I have a Blue Badge. I have heard others say that the hot Florida sunshine can cause a problem with the lamination. Anyone know what I can do to prevent this?

Also, does anyone know where I can get hold of a "badge holder" so that I can display it from the rear view mirror?

Many thanks.

Jackie

We used a cut down poly pocket hung from the mirror with an elastic band as a holder and that worked fine.
I'm not sure you can do anything about the heat, but it didn't cause us any problem before. I suppose once you have been directed to the disabled spaces at the parks you could remove your badge and put it in the glove box, but I prefer to have it on display in case anyone checks.

Disney Bumfords said:
Can someone tell me how to go about getting a blue badge?

The blue badge is a disabled person's parking permit that we have in the UK. It is now recognised for parking privileges in Florida too. I'm not sure what the equivalent is in your state or how you would apply.

Talk to your MD they have a form that they have to fill out and then you need to take it to DMV.
YMMV according to your state of course.

Almost two years ago I forgot to put my tag in view when I parked at Downtown Disney. I received a ticket that would have cost $250. I called the court and explained the situation, they told me to send in a photocopy of my hang tag showing where I was identified on it, and I would only have to pay $20.00 for not displaying the tag as opposed to the $250.00 for the illegal parking.

It taught me a lesson.

loadsapixiedust said:
We used a cut down poly pocket hung from the mirror with an elastic band as a holder and that worked fine.
I'm not sure you can do anything about the heat, but it didn't cause us any problem before. I suppose once you have been directed to the disabled spaces at the parks you could remove your badge and put it in the glove box, but I prefer to have it on display in case anyone checks.

That's a good idea - thanks. Like you though, I don't think I would put it in the glove box.

ETA - Look forward to seeing you at Boggy Creek together with Mo on 9th July! Isn't it coming round quick?!

Jackie

Cheshire Figment said:
Almost two years ago I forgot to put my tag in view when I parked at Downtown Disney. I received a ticket.

I always fear I will forget to hang the tag. Glad all worked well for you.

WDWFOREVER said:
That's a good idea - thanks. Like you though, I don't think I would put it in the glove box.

ETA - Look forward to seeing you at Boggy Creek together with Mo on 9th July! Isn't it coming round quick?!

Jackie

Hey Jackie! :wave:
Didn't realise you were on here too! Yep, it's getting close, I'm so looking forward to our meet at Boggy Creek. Getting really excited now! Just wondering if we should be wearing the lime green or the blue now! :cheer2:

There is a company on the web that sells a blude badge holder (in UK) for £2.50 which has two pockets, one for the badge and one for the clock, and also a hook to hang it from the rear view mirror. We bought one before our last Florida holiday and it worked great.

Sue

Sue & Co. said:
There is a company on the web that sells a blude badge holder (in UK) for £2.50 which has two pockets, one for the badge and one for the clock, and also a hook to hang it from the rear view mirror. We bought one before our last Florida holiday and it worked great.

Sue

Ok this has me intrigued. A clock? Your handicapped parking permit has a clock in it?

BillSears said:
Ok this has me intrigued. A clock? Your handicapped parking permit has a clock in it?

Don't worry - it isn't a real clock - its just a clock made of card on which you can indicate what time you park your car! In the UK we are allowed to park in certain (usually restricted) areas for up to 3 hours. If you arrive at 1.00pm you put that time on the "clock" so that any traffic wardens or police officers know what time your 3 hours is up. After the 3 hours have passed you run the risk of a parking ticket.

Hope that explains it. :teeth:

Jackie

Sue & Co. said:

Sue

Thanks for that Sue - I will go and have a trawl on the web and see what I can find.

Jackie

loadsapixiedust said:
Hey Jackie! :wave:
Didn't realise you were on here too! Yep, it's getting close, I'm so looking forward to our meet at Boggy Creek. Getting really excited now! Just wondering if we should be wearing the lime green or the blue now! :cheer2:

:teeth: I lurk more than I post! ;)

See you next month :banana: :wave2:

Jackie

Disney Bumfords said:
Can someone tell me how to go about getting a blue badge?
As mentioned, to get the US equivilent of the blue badge, you can contact your MD. For most states, you can also download ands print a form from the Department of Transportation. You can fill out part of the form, then take or mail it to your MD for completion (there is a part where they have to certify your disability) and send or take it in.

You do need to leave it in view while you are parked in the handicapped parking spot, or risk a ticket as Cheshire Figment mentioned.

Here's an idea that we use with my handicapped parking permit. I bought little "dots" of velcro at an office supply store and placed them in the four corners, being sure not cover any of the numbers or lettering. I then placed the other end of the velcro on the front windshield in a place that was out of the way for driving, but clearly visable to anyone outside the car. This has been a lifesaver. The problem we had before was the tag dangled around while driving and was somewhat distracting. If we took it down, we often forgot to rehang it, and also the rearview mirror is too thick for the tag to hang well. If the window was ever down it would blow around. This has saved us a lot of stress and in no way has damaged the tag. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan said:
Here's an idea that we use with my handicapped parking permit. I bought little "dots" of velcro at an office supply store and placed them in the four corners, being sure not cover any of the numbers or lettering. I then placed the other end of the velcro on the front windshield in a place that was out of the way for driving, but clearly visable to anyone outside the car. This has been a lifesaver. The problem we had before was the tag dangled around while driving and was somewhat distracting. If we took it down, we often forgot to rehang it, and also the rearview mirror is too thick for the tag to hang well. If the window was ever down it would blow around. This has saved us a lot of stress and in no way has damaged the tag. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

Lisa - I suspect this is a really dumb question (if it is, sorry :blush: ) but are you saying it is ok to just lay the permit down on the dash, i.e. it doesn't HAVE to be hanging from the rear view mirror?

Jackie

No question is ever dumb, but this is what we have done and have not had any problems. The placard is actually velcro attached to the center of the windshield (about the same place it would be seen if it WERE hanging from the rearview mirror), but this way it is attached and therefore does not blow around or fall off. It's not at all a problem for the driver with seeing and it's very obvious to anyone from outside the car. I have however seen many times that these placards were just placed on the dash in plain site or even put on the sun visor (clipped) and then the visor flipped down so the placard can be seen. HTH.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter