History of the Disney Magic

Starwave

Earning My Ears
With the upcoming dry dock of Disney Magic and possible minor transformations, I got curious about the history of changes to the Magic since this first ship launched in 1998. I went into a very deep "wormhole", but there were a few details that I was unable to confirm. I was hoping this group of experts may be able to satisfy my curiosity into these questions.

Questions​

• Does anyone have a copy of the deck plan from the inaugural 1998 sailing year? The earliest deck plan that I've been able to locate is this one from 2010.
  • Since the bridge was originally two floors with a walk-around observation deck, where was the fitness center that now takes its place on the second floor? This still image suggests it may have been overlooking the bridge from behind.
  • How has the "Radio Studio" area been used historically? This was the only clip I could find looking inside it and I'm unsure if it has ever been accessible to guests.
  • I've been told the ship originally lacked a nursery. What was in the space of the current nursery?
  • What was originally in the space that currently occupies Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique? Best I can tell from this still and old deck maps, it was a forward elevator lobby. Today, only one elevator goes to deck 10 forward, but it appears that all 4 elevators may have previously reached that level?
  • Prior to the Rainforest Room, I see the area referred as "Thermal Baths." What existed in this area before the Rainforest Room?

Summarized history​

If you're curious about the changes, here's a quick summary that I gathered. I'm sure that I've missed many other changes!

Dining changes
  • Topsider Buffet -> Cabanas
    Renovation added 3,400 square feet and created seating for 455 diners
  • Parrot Cay -> Carioca's -> Rapunzel's Royal Table
    Transformed from Caribbean to Tangled theme. On the Starboard side by the elevators near Rapunzel's Royal Table, there is parrot artwork in a nod to the original restaurant
  • Pluto's Dog House -> Pete's Boiler Bites -> Duck-in Diner
  • Scoops -> Goofy's Galley -> Daisy's De-lites
    This was the original location for soft-serve ice cream before Frozone Treats was added in a different location. Daisy's later introduced new food concepts, including "build your own bowl."
Lounges
  • Beat Street -> After Hours
    Updated nightlife district that also introduced other changes in this section.
  • Diversions -> O'Gills Pub
  • Sessions -> Keys
  • Rockin’ Bar D -> Fathoms
  • Studio Sea -> D Lounge
  • Outlook Cafe -> Concierge Lounge
Atrium
  • Chihuly glass -> sun's rays chandelier
    Included new carpet from deck 3 to deck 5 with different layers of oceans
  • Two staircases -> one staircase
    Provided more space to host inside activities and special events (e.g. Christmas tree). Also, relocated Mickey helmsman statue near the remaining staircase.
Kids clubs
  • ESPN Skybox -> The Stack -> Vibe
    Converted from a sports bar to a teen space.
  • Ocean Quest -> Edge -> 6 interior staterooms
    After the tween space was moved to deck 9, 6 new interior staterooms replaced this space on deck 2.
  • Quarter Master's Arcade -> Edge
  • Added Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
  • Added Anna & Elsa’s Boutique
    Short-lived "temporary" version of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique on deck 10 midship prior to official Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique opening. Unclear what's in this space now.
  • Flounder's Reef Nursery -> It's A Small World Nursery
  • Oceaneer Club and Oceaneer Lab with a kids-only hallway on deck
Pools
  • Mickey Slide -> Twist N’ Spout slide
    A scaled up version of the original slide.
  • Mickey Pool -> AquaLab
    Introduced a splash pad area themed after Donald's Duck nephews.
  • Added AquaDunk
Shopping
  • Up Beat -> Sea Treasures
  • Mickey’s Mates -> Mickey's Mainsail
  • Added The Crown Jewelry near Shutters
    As part of this change, the physical photo binders were completely removed.
Spa
  • Vista Spa -> Senses Spa
  • Added Chill Spa for teens
Other enhancements
  • Bridge observation deck -> Fitness Center
  • Physical buttons replaced with digital screen in elevators
  • Addition of covered shade on deck 10
  • Tropical rethemes of Signals Bar and Cove Cafe
  • Animator's Palate enhancements, including adding HD screens and "Drawn to Life" show

Last edited:
Maybe contact the guy ( I think his name is Scott) who does this page.
He’s posted Disney ship facts for years.
https://disneycruiselineblog.com/ships/disney-magic/
For some strange reason it won’t link to the Disney Magic fact page.
Go to the top left of this page and click on the 3 bars then ships.
It will list The Magic
It should look like this
F4E06C38-1B5D-454C-8F24-F33F136E7616.png

Last edited:
I should have the 2002 brochure somewhere.

Scoops was not a soft-serve location or not only soft serve. They hand scooped hard ice cream and had lots of toppings to add. (They had peanut M&Ms - my fav). It was where Daisy-D-lites is now. They also had trays of fruit and a tray of cookies every afternoon. Now they only have hard ice cream at Cabanas during lunch, only a few flavors and no toppings.

While the Magic is my least sailed ship (only twice, 2005 and 2012), these are some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Scoops was not a soft-serve location or not only soft serve. They hand scooped hard ice cream and had lots of toppings to add. (They had peanut M&Ms - my fav). It was where Daisy-D-lites is now. They also had trays of fruit and a tray of cookies every afternoon. Now they only have hard ice cream at Cabanas during lunch, only a few flavors and no toppings.
Daisy's still has fruit and cookies, though!

Notable inaugural itineraries:

- Inaugural DCL sailing
- Inaugural 7 night DCL sailing
- Inaugural DCL sailing to Panama Canal/Mexico
- Inaugural sailing to Europe
- Inaugural Transatlantic sailing
- Inaugural sailing to New York City
- Inaugural sailing to Northern Europe
- Inaugural sailing to Galveston

So Disney really has moved her around. For a while I thought she would be phased out of the Bahamas/Caribbean and start doing the more adventurous sailings, but it's the Disney Wonder who has been doing those.

OceanQuest was conference rooms first

check out these images from the 2002 Vacation Planning Booklet found on Disney Cruise Line Blog

Attachments

• DCL-2002-2004-Vacation-Booklet-55.jpg
    DCL-2002-2004-Vacation-Booklet-55.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DCL-2002-2004-Vacation-Booklet-56.jpg
    DCL-2002-2004-Vacation-Booklet-56.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10
Wow thanks for all of these summaries! Much of this I knew, but not all of it. What a truly incredible ship. So glad I got to experience her before she went away!

How has the "Radio Studio" area been used historically? This was the only clip I could find looking inside it and I'm unsure if it has ever been accessible to guests.
We've attended non-denominational services in there on our early cruises on the Magic (early 2000s). Often led by Crew Members, but occasionally by pastors onboard.

At that time we were told that the room had also been used as an event space for smaller parties.

Was there an alcohol store next to O’Gill’s? And at some point it switched to children’s princess costumes (named Sea Treasures in Nov 2023).

Dry Dock 2013 produced a reimagined Beat Street >> After Hours, with a noticeably absent use of Disney IP and a navy and gray/silver color palette.

IMG_8640.jpeg
-Disney Cruise Line Blog

Sea Treasures does not currently sell children's costumes. What an odd location, in the heart of the adult district to sell children's costumes...

On our recent cruise Sea treasures was open for about 2-3 hours a day, and it sold much of the same merchandise in Mickey's Main Sail or the other shop across from Main Sail.

The de-theming of Beat Street was probably for the best based on the image above...

Not really a change to the spaces but the jumbo vision was not included when the ship first launched

I’m surprised no one mentioned the “Secret Veranda” on deck 7 aft. It was eliminated when they converted Topsiders to Cabanas and reshaped the stern of the ship. Great little hideaway that anyone could use

If I recall correctly, there was bridge simulator on deck 2 for kids. I remember taking my 5yo there in 2003.

I think it was replaced with conference rooms.

Last edited:
The de-theming of Beat Street was probably for the best based on the image above...

I agree. This kind of styling was all the rage back in the 90s, not so much even a decade later.

Although something I'm still sad about is the remodeling of the main stores. The main walkway to the theatre was originally lined with windows that featured some of the characters.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest