*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

My prayers for your DH. If it helps, I've always said that DHHIR has healing powers. One year I went to DHHIR for Thanksgiving 5 days after I fractured my pelvis. I remember the look of disbelief on my DH's face as I lay there in the emergency ward begging the doctor to let me go. But at the end of our stay, I was sure that I recovered so much more than I would have at home. Although I'll admit that the part of GETTING there was no picnic.
If there is any resort that can be restorative, it's this one. Best wishes to you, and thanks again to hhisc16 for starting this thread!

We've been enjoying DHHIR since 1997 and became members in 2001 or 2002. I would have to dig out my contract to remember for sure. Getting old, you know!

I've been there in every season and have loved it no matter what.

My youngest pretty much grew up there. My oldest loves it and now I have two grandchildren that love it and call it the 'green hotel'. They are now 4 and 5 and have been going since age 6 months. This is them scrambling along the edge of the surf after we arrived but when our room wasn't ready yet in March of 2020.

I used to make it an overnight stop for my drives to WDW from Maryland. I would combine that with a shrimp, coleslaw, fries and hush puppy with sweet tea meal at Crazy Crab - the one after you get on the island, and I would always sit outside and enjoy the marsh while eating. Then I would take a picture of the food, the marsh and the beautiful sunshine and send it to my boss, who grew up in South Carolina. I haven't been since March 2020 so hope that Crazy Crab made it as I'm cheap and don't want to pay a fee to go eat in Sea Pines.

My son is returning with me at Thanksgiving with his now fiance who will then be his wife. He hasn't been since he was 17, when I had to get a larger room because he was not enjoying himself and was driving us crazy by sleeping all the time. He is now 37 and has been back to SC just not to the resort as he mostly travels on his own now.

There is no place where I have enjoyed a staff so much! Always polite and friendly! We were taking a walk when this CM was out waving the Mickey glove at arriving guests. She saw the girls and called out to them, inviting them up to visit with her and then sent them into the check in area to get cookies and a drink, just before the staff were told to stop putting out the cookies. I think we may have gotten the last ones that day. I hope this little welcoming touch comes back as it just adds something for the kids.

The girls are at the age where they notice everything. Here we were walking to Tide Me Over to get chicken nuggets and they said, 'Can you take our picture here? The flowers are so beautiful!'

This was the view from our room (2 bedroom) last March 2020.

And this was the notice explaining that the resort was closing, complete with a small gift of a magnet. It was placed on our refrigerator while we were out. My daughter and the girls went back in March 2021 and I didn't go as I was not fully vaccinated yet. Daughter was as she works in a field where she was eligible early. So now I can't wait to get back in November! It can't come quick enough!

The girls are at the age where they notice everything. Here we were walking to Tide Me Over to get chicken nuggets and they said, 'Can you take our picture here? The flowers are so beautiful!'

View attachment 575887

This was the view from our room (2 bedroom) last March 2020.

View attachment 575888

And this was the notice explaining that the resort was closing, complete with a small gift of a magnet. It was placed on our refrigerator while we were out. My daughter and the girls went back in March 2021 and I didn't go as I was not fully vaccinated yet. Daughter was as she works in a field where she was eligible early. So now I can't wait to get back in November! It can't come quick enough!

View attachment 575890
Thank you for sharing your memories with us!
Great pictures and stories of our DHHIR!

Thanks for starting this thread. We've stayed at HHI a couple of times and loved it, so bought a resale contract a few months ago. Our first trip using those points will be late-September.

I have a question about the upcoming refurb. I have read a few reports that the villas are in need of repair/updating. Does anyone know the current refurb schedule?

The creator of this thread, @hhisc16, pointed out that I should probably mention the Hilton Head trip reports in my signature. The "Keepin' it on the downlow (country) at HHI" is all Hilton Head, from 2014. And the first one listed in my signature, "Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach" is from 2015 and has a Hilton Head section for the last third of the report. There's a chapter index in the first post so you can quickly get to that section, if you're interested.

For those traveling to HHI in late June and beyond, Shelter Cove is starting their Tuesdays fireworks again on 22 June. The fireworks will run weekly from that date through the middle of August. Good news!

For those traveling to HHI in late June and beyond, Shelter Cove is starting their Tuesdays fireworks again on 22 June. The fireworks will run weekly from that date through the middle of August. Good news!
Thank you for keeping us up to date!
We are staying at DHHIR July 4,5,6 and cannot wait to see the fireworks!

Thank you for keeping us up to date!
We are staying at DHHIR July 4,5,6 and cannot wait to see the fireworks!
The dates listed are each Tuesday except that there will be a 4th of July (Sunday) fireworks show then not another one until 13 July (Tuesday). Enjoy!

It seems that most of the games are now back, including basketball and pool at both Murgie's Den and the Beach House! I don't believe that shuffleboard is back yet as that is still the main seating/dining area for Tide Me Over. That's great news for those now there or visiting in the future!

It seems that most of the games are now back, including basketball and pool at both Murgie's Den and the Beach House! I don't believe that shuffleboard is back yet as that is still the main seating/dining area for Tide Me Over. That's great news for those now there or visiting in the future!

As of two days ago when we stopped to check in as we had to switch rooms the pool table was still closed at Murgie’s Den. I am not sure about the basketball courts or shuffleboard, but we are new to HHI so we didn’t look for that.

As of two days ago when we stopped to check in as we had to switch rooms the pool table was still closed at Murgie’s Den. I am not sure about the basketball courts or shuffleboard, but we are new to HHI so we didn’t look for that.
Happened yesterday, so the timing makes sense! Four Mickey chairs up in the Tide Me Over area were re-installed a few days ago--two overlooking the marsh and two overlooking the Big Dipper Pool. So, changes are slowing coming as Disney responds to the ever-changing covid environment. :thumbsup2 EDIT: I should have mentioned that another difference guests should see is that the games' equipment has returned to its stationary locations throughout the resort. In other words, you no longer have to check out the equipment from the recreation window near the pool. ;)

Last edited:
Happened yesterday, so the timing makes sense! Four Mickey chairs up in the Tide Me Over area were re-installed a few days ago--two overlooking the marsh and two overlooking the Big Dipper Pool. So, changes are slowing coming as Disney responds to the ever-changing covid environment.

Yay! I love sitting in those chairs with my binoculars and watching little (and not so little) birds flitting around in the bushes.

Very excited to become an owner here! We put in our paperwork today for a 50 point contact! We haven't stayed there yet but really want to. We live at the jersey shore so it's not a terrible drive to HHI. Looking to be going in late spring early summer. I'll be reading this thread and the HHI lovers thread for all the tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter