• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with purchasing Military Tickets

Momtwofour

DIS Veteran
Hello! I have a trip booked with my ds and his family of 7, my two dds and my mom. My ds is medically retired from the Army and in the past I have purchased our park tickets through SOG. However they have changed their policies and we are hitting some roadblocks. My mom is paying for our park tickets and resort and SOG new policy is the payment has to come from my ds. Unfortunately they do not have a credit card with enough credit to buy that many tickets, and debit doesnt allow for a purchase that high. We are scrambling to get these purchased before the prices go up. Any advice?? Our last resort is to mail a check and I had emailed SOG and they said we could do that but today I called and the person that answered said no. I cant believe how hard this is.

Hello! I have a trip booked with my ds and his family of 7, my two dds and my mom. My ds is medically retired from the Army and in the past I have purchased our park tickets through SOG. However they have changed their policies and we are hitting some roadblocks. My mom is paying for our park tickets and resort and SOG new policy is the payment has to come from my ds. Unfortunately they do not have a credit card with enough credit to buy that many tickets, and debit doesnt allow for a purchase that high. We are scrambling to get these purchased before the prices go up. Any advice?? Our last resort is to mail a check and I had emailed SOG and they said we could do that but today I called and the person that answered said no. I cant believe how hard this is.
I would suggest the DS purchaser talk to his bank about a solution. They may be able to raise the credit limit or debit card amount or have some other solution. Your mom could send him the money.

Others may have suggestions. Good luck!

I would suggest the DS purchaser talk to his bank about a solution. They may be able to raise the credit limit or debit card amount or have some other solution. Your mom could send him the money.

I don’t think they take disney gift cards. I haven’t had any experience with asking for an increase in a debit purchase. I might look into that.

Or, charge the amount that he has the credit limit for, then immediately pay it.
If it's a larger bank with nationwide offices (Wells Fargo, Chase, Citibank, Bank of America), you may be able to make the payment in person and get the credit limit cleared quickly.

Or, charge the amount that he has the credit limit for, then immediately pay it.
If it's a larger bank with nationwide offices (Wells Fargo, Chase, Citibank, Bank of America), you may be able to make the payment in person and get the credit limit cleared quickly.
It’s a local credit union. We are kind of under a time crush because I don’t know what’s going to happen Dec 8th with ticket prices. They are supposed to go up then. I was really hoping for an announcement since the shake up with Chapek. Thank you for the suggestion! I think I am going to call the credit union tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Can whoever is paying give him the money so he can pay by debit card? His bank should be able to temporarily raise his debit limit. (We had to do this every month when we paid our rent all in cash in Korea!) Can you buy him a prepaid VISA gift card to use to pay? Can you instead buy the tickets at a base ITT office?

You may also run into this problem if you’re staying at SOG so clarify their payment policies before going. Also, if he has a military Star Card he can use that to pay for the rooms at SOG. If you use a Military Star Card to pay you also earn points toward the gift cards they send.

Last edited:
Well we decided to email the ticket order to SOG and they are supposed to call my DIL who will then have to call her bank to allow the transaction to go through. We emailed it Monday and havent heard from them yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses!

I would contact military leisure travel offices. Most of them will sell the tickets over the phone, and mail the physical tickets to you. Although, the email we received had all the ticket numbers in it, so we could use that to add the tickets to MDE.
I made my Dad drive with me to buy tickets in person a couple weeks ago, and they didn't bat an eye when he handed over his credit card. We could have done it over the phone, but I hate doing things over the phone.
You could also look at adding him as an authorized user to a credit card with the necessary limit. It could probably be overnighted, then used to purchase the tickets.

I see you may have a solution, but paying via venmo should work I assume. Never had any trouble using it anywhere and grandma could deposit the funds.

We finally have tickets!! SOG is way behind, Im guessing due to the pending increase on tickets Dec 8th and yesterday they told me it could be 4-5 more days before we got a call which was making me very nervous. So I called Patricks AFB and they were very helpful! Still woudnt go through on my DIL debt card though even though she called the bank and they said it was approved. My Mom saved the day by using her credit card and my DIL wrote her a check. Next time I will go this route. The ladies were so kind and helpful!! Thanks for all the responses

Can DOD members get the military theme park tickets? I know they can book SOG but not sure about actual park tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter